lb7 water pump replacement

Barlow

Barlow
Apr 19, 2009
Mississippi
How much am i looking at to let a shop replace the pump... got a steady stream of coolant running down the engine block from water pump area
2001 lb7 136k miles

Red Dmax

Big Boy Toys
Apr 19, 2009
If your mechanically inclined you can do it yourself for less than 100 dollars.

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
700.00......................:confused: Thats highway robbery. I bought an AC Delco pump for less than 100.00. How many hrs does it pay? I would say 300-400 tops?

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
$100 pump with lifetime warrenty from advanced or $400 pump from GM with 1 year warrenty. I went with Lifetime pump myself.

Wrong! I have never seen a aftermarket auto parts guy jump out from behind the counter on that lifetime warranty and install that bitch when it goes bad..... If you pay to have your water pump installed at a GM dealer you get lifetime part and labor warranty anywhere in the USofA that goes for a lot of the parts they sell. Labor should be between $400 to $550 tops from a dealer anything else is gouging.:thumb:

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
Wrong! I have never seen a aftermarket auto parts guy jump out from behind the counter on that lifetime warranty and install that bitch when it goes bad..... If you pay to have your water pump installed at a GM dealer you get lifetime part and labor warranty anywhere in the USofA that goes for a lot of the parts they sell. Labor should be between $400 to $550 tops from a dealer anything else is gouging.:thumb:

Um dont think so, atleast not around hear. Our auto techs that teach were I'm at say thats not true. These are GM techs that work for large GM dealers around the Cincy area. No part they install gets a lifetime warrenty or labor. That comes direct from the service manager. He laughed when he read that. Once again this is direct from the service manager at a large GM dealer. He doesnt even get his parts from GM. I do all my own work so its not that big of a deal to me and yes my local Advanced auto parts always stands behind there warrenties on there parts. Not trying to be a ass just stating data I have first hand for our area.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
Um dont think so, atleast not around hear. Our auto techs that teach were I'm at say thats not true. These are GM techs that work for large GM dealers around the Cincy area. No part they install gets a lifetime warrenty or labor. That comes direct from the service manager. He laughed when he read that. Once again this is direct from the service manager at a large GM dealer. He doesnt even get his parts from GM. I do all my own work so its not that big of a deal to me and yes my local Advanced auto parts always stands behind there warrenties on there parts. Not trying to be a ass just stating data I have first hand for our area.

Well it looks like we found large dealers near Cincy where not to do business... and i know Advanced auto parts, NAPA, Kragen, and Pep Boys all stand behind their parts but they do not cover the labor to change the part after it fails.

I too work for a dealer skipppy, The life time warranty policy use to be a dealer had to want to be part of the program which was good for their customers, nowadays ALL parts on the list of LIFTIME WARRANTY parts from water pumps to spark plug wires are covered and replaced free of charge at any GM dealer if they are still in business and are a reputibal place of business. Sounds like thats a shady place commonly know as a " Steal-er"

I too am trying not to be an ass, but what I speak is the truth my friend and at this point I feel sorry for GM customers near " big dealers in Cincy" cause us little dealer workers in Cali do what it takes to make our customers happy.:thumb:

Dazedandconfused

Lost in the diesel smoke.
Jul 26, 2007
Nothern Ky
I agree with you about the stealer ship thing. There is not one dealer around my area that will even act like they know what you are talking about when you ask about lifetime warrenty. Even if they would I was quoted Almost $400 for the pump. I wish there were more stand up dealers around this area.

Back on topic though. I've heard of several people having very good luck with the replacements from Advanced auto parts so that is were mine came from. I also get a discount due to our buisness.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
I agree with you about the stealer ship thing. There is not one dealer around my area that will even act like they know what you are talking about when you ask about lifetime warrenty. Even if they would I was quoted Almost $400 for the pump. I wish there were more stand up dealers around this area.

Back on topic though. I've heard of several people having very good luck with the replacements from Advanced auto parts so that is were mine came from. I also get a discount due to our buisness.

I have heard about problems using aftermarket pumps... they have a constant sound coming from them.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
I have heard about problems using aftermarket pumps... they have a constant sound coming from them.

I think there was a batch of both dealer and aftermarket that had some noise issues from some posts on this board awhile back, I have never had one with a problem Yet factory or aftermarket.

nhraman

Jul 2, 2009
Muskegon, MI.
I got my pump from NAPA. I had to go to the dealer to get the new o rings and bypass pipe seal. I think one of the o rings was about 25 bucks!! but there was no way I was going to put it back together without them. I think I had just over 100 bucks in parts. Here are the factory and fel-pro p/n's for the o-ring & gasket. water pump outlet gasket ( O-Ring)
GM p/n 97188663
Fel-Pro 35756

Bypass pipe gasket
GM p/n 94011603
Fel-Pro 35758

Double T

Jun 2, 2017
nhraman you got the Fel-Pro Numbers BACKWARDS;

O-Ring for Oil cooler
GM 97188663
is a
Fel-Pro 35758

O-Ring for bypass pipe (lower)
Gm 94011603
is a
Fel-Pro 35756
I got my pump from NAPA. I had to go to the dealer to get the new o rings and bypass pipe seal. I think one of the o rings was about 25 bucks!! but there was no way I was going to put it back together without them. I think I had just over 100 bucks in parts. Here are the factory and fel-pro p/n's for the o-ring & gasket. water pump outlet gasket ( O-Ring)
GM p/n 97188663
Fel-Pro 35756

Bypass pipe gasket
GM p/n 94011603
Fel-Pro 35758