LB7 running like crap!

55shoebox

Nov 18, 2008
I just recently joined - and i actually posted in the intro section to get some help. I figured this would be a better place for this. I have a 2001 LB7 with 160,000 miles on it all stock. Truck started running bad smoking - a local diesel guy troubleshot it as injectors. I put 8 remaned injectors in and it runs a little better but it is not fixed. It is great at idle, but when you roll into the throttle it stutters and hesitates. It wants to stop accelerating at about 1800 rpms and then seems like it clears out and ramps up. This problem gets progressively worse as the rpms go up. When i got the truck i ran some bio diesel in it some straight some 50/50 mix. I have changed fuel filters a couple times and cut them open nothing changed. Last night i drove the truck a little and put more fuel in it and when i unscrewed to fuel cap it sucked some air - drove it without the cap off with no improvement. I am used to working on and building cars and hot rods and have been drag racing cars for a few years so i am trying to figure this out with no luck. Any help with this would be great - I really want this truck running again. Thanks

Since the injector change the oil pressure gauge is pegged high and does not change with rpms. I can get the truck scanned if that is the best thing, i figured someone out there has experienced this also - let me know.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I hope your instrument cluster is busted. Max pressure all the time means something is blocked.

Yes, you need to datalog it. The Dmax has excellent self-diagnostics, but you need a tool to read it.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Might be you regulator on the cp3 has gone bad for the fuel

and i bet your sensor is unhooked for the oil pressure ....Does it ever change?

55shoebox

Nov 18, 2008
no does not change - all the way high. Where is the oil pressure sensor? I had a electronic sensor go bad in a hot rod and it did the same thing. Thanks

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
no does not change - all the way high. Where is the oil pressure sensor? I had a electronic sensor go bad in a hot rod and it did the same thing. Thanks

there is a sensor for the oil level and for the oil pressure they are on the same harness,They are located on the oil pan and the block

2001 where located at the front of the block below and behind the PS pump and the sensor is about 3" long

Also IIRC to take the valve covers off they would probably un plug the wires behind the A/C motor it will be under the plastic wire harness