Help: LB7 Injector cup issue

da94broncodude

Jul 16, 2011
Helped a friend of mine tear his lb7 down and do head gaskets on it, after the repair was completed, the truck ran fine until we got back from the test drive, it had a slight missfire hardly noticable but it was getting more than usual blowby out the crankcase breather, compression tested it, found the cyl, tore it back down to the injector to find the injector hold down bolt broken. at this point we were lost as to why it would do this?
but at any rate, we picked up a new bolt installed it torqued to spec and put it all back together, truck ran fine again until about 10 miles were on it. Tested again, same thing same cyl, tore it back down to find the bolt was in tact fine just loose.
hoping the 3rd time would be the charm, i cleaned out the bolt hole with q tips rags and brake parts cleaner to ensure no contamination, used blue loc-tite and torqued to spec, reassembled tested drove it about 5 miles it ran like a champ, brought it back to the shop and again, ticking slight missfire and blowby!
WTF is causing this and how can we get it to stop?

madmatt

Apr 12, 2009
"the mecca"
www.facebook.com
did you reseal all the cups? sure you have the one and only sealing washer under it? Didnt' forget it or not get the old one out did you? What exactly are you torquing them too??

da94broncodude

Jul 16, 2011
When the heads were off they went to a Machine shop, and checked etc so all cups were removed and installed using the red loctite and all new red o rings as well, I can't remember if we replaced all the washers that go inside the cups as well, that was my thought too, pull the cup and replace all of it, I know this requires a special tool, is there any other way to get it out?

Power Shift

Apr 22, 2010
Utah
I would check also to see if the steel "button" is in place underneath the injector holddown. I would think that if it is missing it won't hold the injector/cup down as tight as it should. Hopefully its something simple-

da94broncodude

Jul 16, 2011
awesome guys this is great info, im going to make the tool today or tomorrow and tear it back down and replace the cup, orings, and washer, and ill check the steel button as well while its out and see if we cant get this bad boy going again