LB7 HELP? Lots of smoke & Loud knocking and No power?

KdNicoll

Jul 28, 2013
Portland, Oregon
HELP? Lots of smoke & Loud knocking and No power? So i'm not sure where to post this. I have an '03 LB7 that is puking smoke and has loud knocking and no power only when you accelerate. It idles great and drives somewhat normal but when you get into the pedal it goes to shit. I just replaced a glow plug that had half the tip broken off and was throwing the P0380 code. Fixed that. No code now. No SES. Injectors were done around 30k. At 82k now. I thought it was injectors and haven't done the Balance rates and Return flow rates yet. Did that piece of glow plug F up my valves or ??? I have a 30sec video i'll try to post too....
Looks like white smoke at idle too. Oh and its a Cali emissions truck.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...06418086450680

bmemmott

Jun 3, 2009
Camarillo, CA
Do a compression check. Had a broken glow plug and same symptoms in my 02 and it turned out to be a hole in the piston. I hope your luck is better than mine was.

KdNicoll

Jul 28, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Broken glow plug pieces messed up second cyl back from the front on passenger side. Injectors went out. At the shop now. Looking into putting in a new long block with new injectors at $7700+$2K labor or....doing the LLY swap or the LBZ w/6spd Allison swap. Throwing $10k at this truck is rediculous so i'm considering all options. I want to get away from the LB7 injectors so what are y'alls thoughts???

KdNicoll

Jul 28, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Dirtymaxx03 I was towing a 26' travel trailer in mad friday traffic on a rainy night and i got off the freeway as quick as i could when this all went to shit so i believe by the time i got her stopped the damage was done. But the answer to your question is yes. I did not scope it before i put the new gplug in, i cleared the code and fired her up. Looking back yes i'm a dumb ass!

sfreak76

Nov 20, 2011
If you still haven't fixed it yet I have a spare lb7 complete with turbo and cp3 and 144k on it out of a wrecked truck. The injectors will need replaced before you install it but I would sell it for $2700 and I am located about 45 minutes from Portland in Sandy, Oregon. Let me know, Shawn 503-970-2663