Allison 5sp: Lb7: 37 tires and 3.73's

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Guys,

Is leaving my 3.73's in my truck with toyo at's a big disadvantage? Just curious if anyone has a good guess of what you lose on a max effort set up running gearing that tall.

Should I dedicate funds to gears at this point?

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
Yes, unless you do twins. James, chevy1925 has been running that set up with twins for a while. Maybe he'll chime in. The recommendation for 37's is 4.56's.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Yes, unless you do twins. James, chevy1925 has been running that set up with twins for a while. Maybe he'll chime in. The recommendation for 37's is 4.56's.

Not sure how twins would help beside just adding more power. And 4.56 is going to kill highway mileage? It's not going to be a towing truck I'm just not sure how much power that tall gearing will suck from me.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The gearing won't make up for the added weight and increased unsprung weight of your lift/wheels/tires. It will "feel faster" but you won't see much difference at the track.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
The gearing won't make up for the added weight and increased unsprung weight of your lift/wheels/tires. It will "feel faster" but you won't see much difference at the track.

That's kind of what I thought because you may increase acceleration but you lose speed at the same time. So do you think it's worth changing? They measure 36 inches on the truck and weight per corner is 113 pounds.

Your bfgs are probably lighter but I've been semi weight conscious with my set up.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nope. My tires prior to this weighed 125lbs per corner. These weigh 110lbs per corner. (Wheel weight included on both). The difference from that was noticeable.

Unless you tow, wouldn't spend the cash. Twins would be a better way to go

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Nope. My tires prior to this weighed 125lbs per corner. These weigh 110lbs per corner. (Wheel weight included on both). The difference from that was noticeable.

Unless you tow, wouldn't spend the cash. Twins would be a better way to go

What tires did you go to?

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. And I think if I mess with a turbo set up id end up having to build a motor haha. Trying to stay away from that.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I never had an issue when I was running 37s :D

Did notice a little bit when I dropped back to 35s but I just had to feather the pedal more

If your truck pulls ok though the gears then I wouldn't mess with it. drag racers gear the truck to be at the top of the power band at the traps. If your truck pulls fine down low then I would leave it

mackthehack

DUH...
Apr 16, 2007
I'm running 4.56's with my 37's. I like the low end torque with the gears but mpg's suck. I've thought about dropping down to 4.11's to get better mpg's.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I mean, we all know low gearing is just a cover up for a weak engine :D

No but really, with 35s I wouldn't change the gearing. With 37s and a stockish tune I would think about changing the gearing. JMHO-if you have a built trans and if you tow a lot twins; the truck will do just fine with stock gears and 37s

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
37s+twins+towing=bent rods :confused:

I meant on a 400ish HP tune, but yea I should have been clear about that. Never know who will miss read one of these threads...

Really as long as you don't get greedy the stock turbo will do just fine-but if you do upgrade your air system I would go twins since it might be a pita to stay on top of a big single.

Really towing (assuming you are not retarded) the killer is the heat, the stock cooling system can't take 500 HP for really more than a few minutes

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
u5ahuhas.jpg

aty7e4y8.jpg

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Lol you guys are too funny.

Ya I would not be comfortable twining unless I built the motor up to handle it.

For now I will see how the truck pulls when I get the bigger tunes on it. It pulled pretty well with the stock Trans race tune already. If its still not enough ill do 4.56 gears.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
Re-gear it..it was one of the best moves I made..especially towing in the 65mph range..3:73's like to jump between 4 and 5 when driving in the hills. Plus you get kill off a ton of lag, city driving is where I felt the biggest improvement...I'm at like 2100rpms at 75 I think..I'll check soon as I get home..

Last edited:

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
When are you getting the bigger tunes?

I have to send my ECM back to tony. Waiting for my q45 to get done so I have something to drive while I do the Trans and ECM in my truck.

Re-gear it..it was one of the best moves I made..especially towing in the 65mph range..3:73's like to jump between 4 and 5 when driving in the hills. Plus you get kill off a ton of lag, city driving is where I felt the biggest improvement...I'm at like 2100rpms at 75 I think..I'll check soon as I get home..

I just don't think I'll be towing much if at all so it hasn't been a big concern. I really hate having to scream a motor on the highway, if you are at 2100 at 75 that's not as bad as I was thinking. I haven't ran Calcs on speed and rpm yet