Lawn Care

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Here's the deal...I live in a rental house and have a less than helpful landlord, my lawn is dying and is what I think is crabgrass due to weeds growing like CRAZY...he'd put it in about a week before we moved in and even with regular watering won't stay nice...looking for a good pet safe fertilizer to use to bring it back to life. Thanks guys

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
Put a fert down with a lower first number and higher end numbers... Like a 8-32-16... That'll get the roots growing and toughin it up and not give it soo much top growth

The first # is the one which makes it grow, so the higher that is the faster its gonna grow...

Just for kicks i looked at Scotts turf builder in the spring while I was at Home Depot and its a 30-0-0... :rofl: Dont buy that...

IMO as long as you water the fert in good after you put it down, you shouldnt have any pet problems...

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
30-0-0 is a good fert for the right kind of grass regardless you want to make sure its a slow release nitrogen fert. A balanced fert is fine like 15-15-15 Home depot isn't the best place to get good ferts I'd fine a local LESCO dealer. What kind of grass is it? Here is a Identification site. If your having a weed problem it going to get worse to if you put down fert without doing something about the weeds. There is lots of good info on the web about lawns like http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/

Last edited:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks gents.:hug: just curious if a weed n feed style fert is decent....I'm pretty sure the cheap ass used the cheapest grass out there lol...just wondering if I should do a weed killing treatment first then fertilize...and should I till up the dirt a bit first? Sorry I'm so new to all this lawn stuff I just hate having the crappy lawn on the block

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't like weed n feeds and IIRC it would have no affect on crabgrass since you probably have a warm season grass. I only use a Pre emergent and then individually treat grassy weeds with round up. Be careful to keep the round up off the grass. I wear latex gloves and spray it on the glove then wipe it on the weeds. I wouldn't till anything unless your going to put seed down core aeration is a good idea once a year and you want to do that right before you put down fert.

Last edited:

Triple L

Lots of learning
Dec 4, 2009
Kitchener, ON
Just make sure after your aerate it you keep the water on it.... I've seen lawns get worse after aerating cause they get soo dried out...

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Awesome..I'm just really wanting to have a nice lawn again. I'll get some round up and start there...what is a pre emergent? Thanks sorry for the dumb ?s