L5P will barely start, then die Please Help

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
The high pressure can be explained if the mm3 is also high during idle
Post 19, idle at 600, very low, 13K desired and actual furnished by the CP3. Are you saying that the ECM has upped the demand pressure because the idle needs to be raised to 700/750? Ignore this as being the cause of the engine running poorly?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Post 19, idle at 600, very low, 13K desired and actual furnished by the CP3. Are you saying that the ECM has upped the demand pressure because the idle needs to be raised to 700/750? Ignore this as being the cause of the engine running poorly?
If the idle is not getting to were the ECM wants, or it's having to inject more fuel to maintain it, then the ECM will also raise fuel pressure. If you look over the fuel pressure maps, you'll see the pressure increase at higher mm3 even for the same RPM

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
There are also often multipliers that raise desired rail pressure at low coolant temps.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Rdomeck

Sep 27, 2024
Indianapolis, In.
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of response. I have been racing the last few days in the Ozarks. Had to bring my 1996 3/4 with 420,000 miles on it.

I have to give up on this trip for the Duramax. I'll be checking more things out next week.

Are you guys saying I shouldn't be worried about the high fuel rail pressure at the moment?

The only code I have is the P0016. I had this code since day one and was able to drive it without issue. I have not been able to find the cause of that code. My new even more expensive scan tool was able to reset the crank to cam correlation. The code is still present.

The only thing in this mix I have not replaced is the ECM. I have a new HP Tuners ECM that I can install, but I need to buy the OBD interface to do that.

I just had to stop work on that and prep the race car and maintain the 420,000 mile truck for the journey.

Rdomeck

Sep 27, 2024
Indianapolis, In.
So, do I need to be worried about the high fuel rail pressure or start really chasing down the P0016?

I have not verified wiring between the cam and crank sensors. I have replaced both sensors. I can watch the counts on my scan tool and see that the ECM is seeing the sensors and they have the correct counts per rpm for the crank and half that for the cam.... So, I can say with reasonable certainty, the sensors and wiring are not the issue.

I have replaced every other parts minus the ECM. I have a new unlocked ECM from HP Tuners. I have verified with them that I can use their software and an interface and replace the ECM with a stock tune.

Is this my next thing to do?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So, do I need to be worried about the high fuel rail pressure or start really chasing down the P0016?

I have not verified wiring between the cam and crank sensors. I have replaced both sensors. I can watch the counts on my scan tool and see that the ECM is seeing the sensors and they have the correct counts per rpm for the crank and half that for the cam.... So, I can say with reasonable certainty, the sensors and wiring are not the issue.

I have replaced every other parts minus the ECM. I have a new unlocked ECM from HP Tuners. I have verified with them that I can use their software and an interface and replace the ECM with a stock tune.

Is this my next thing to do?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far.
I think the high fuel pressure is a result of something else being off. Not a direct issue. Things like a bad coolant or intake temperature sensor can cause higher then normal pressure. Same for little fuel making it into the cylinders causing the ECM to demand more fuel and thus fuel pressure. Or high exhaust back pressure, low cylinder pressure, bad valves or rockers, etc. basically anything that the ecm would normally use or command higher fuel MM3 can come with higher fuel pressure

I don't recall if you posted it earlier, but what is the main rate mm3 when you do manage to get it running?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm wondering if you have the cam gear out of time or if the gear has slipped on the crank. If that P0016 code is persistent, it tells me there is an issue there that needs to be addressed. Perhaps the problem was always there, but maybe it has worsened to the point the cam timing is making it not be able to run. There is definitely something going on there. Since you know it's a problem and it is something that was worked on during the rebuild, that's where I would start.

Reactions: 2004LB7