L5P will barely start, then die Please Help

Hey guys, I have been having issues with a current build. I have been posting over on duramaxforum and I thought I would come on over here to see if you guys have any ideas. I bought this wrecked two years ago and have been slowly building it. It took a frame swap and a lot of work to get it where it is.

I have learned a lot about the L5P so far and I'll be chiming in where I can to help, but for now I really need some help with it. I'd like to hook the race trailer up to it in a few weeks and head to the Ozarks....

I have subscribed to AlldataDIY and the scan tool I am using is a TopDon 900 capable of some coding and bidirectional control

Here is an over view of what I have replace and checked.

2020 Denali 2500HD 1GT49REY2LF141566 Purchased Oct. 2022 First started April, 2024

Parts replaced caused by collision

-High pressure fuel pump ( new take off ) with new gear
-Camshaft gear and reluctor ring. Old was probably usable, but the reluctor ring had a small bend on now of the tangs
-Crankshaft damper and front pulley
-Alternator bracket, fan, fan clutch, all cooling, etc.
-Engine front cover
-Camshaft position sensor
-Upper oil pan
-Lower oil pan
-Rear engine cover
-Flywheel
-Transmission
-Transfer case
-Rear leaf springs
-Complete frame swap
-Complete front end sheet metal
-All air bags
-Right rear door

Have driven on the interstate with zero issues.

Parts replaced/trouble shooting since running issue started.

-Left fuel rail and high pressure regulator
-All 8 injectors are new and have been coded to ECM
-Removed all fuel lines. Ultrasonic cleaned all the smaller ones. Ran mineral spirits through the others. Blown with compressed air. No blockages.
-Removed fuel tank. Very little debris inside. Cleaned and reinstalled
-New fuel in tank ( about 7-8 gallons )
-New fuel filter
-Crankshaft position sensor
-Removed inlet to high pressure pump to check screen. Completely clean.
-Replaced high pressure fuel pump with new unit from dealer.
-Verified wiring from plug to ECM on both fuel pressure regulators 1 & 2 as well as fuel pressure sensor on passenger side fuel rail.
-Intake smoke test, no leaks
-P0090 test to confirm the ECM is turning the regulators off and on. Can watch the light go dim and get bright when commanded by the scan tool.

Track was running great for the first 15 miles or so. Has about 5-6 hours of idle time after rebuild. Has progressively gotten worse.

My test show very high fuel rail pressure if I can get it started. Starts about 8,000psi and soon jumps to 11,000-12,000 psi before it dies. Low pressure side 60-62

Compression test show 345psi on all cylinders except 400psi on 8. A little less than ideal, but suspect this is due to all the fuel washing oil away from cylinders.

Only code is P0016- Crankshaft position to camshaft position sensor not plausible. This code has been there since day one and was able to drive with no performance problems. I have not been able to do a crank sensor relearn due to the engine not being at operating temperature.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Was the alignment pin still in good shape for the balancer? I have seen them when they take a hit like yours appears to have taken by the list you have that it slips the timing gear on the crank slightly.