Kudos to Chevrolet!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Chevy helps me dodge a bullet this morning:

As of last Thursday, I am using a Chevrolet Volt as my daily driver. Not to Save the Whales, but because it's cool to wake up each morning with a 'full tank'. Elves come to the house and dump 50 miles of gas in the car each night. And it handles like a little slot car with instant response. Kat is now using Wendy as her DD.

SOOOO... I was driving our 2017 Volt with all the Driver's Safety Trimmings this AM. It has more acroynms than the military does, to define all the wizbang crappola.

I'm on a 4 lane suburban road going 45mph in the left lane and traffic was moderate-heavy. I use the left lane here because there are cars parked on the street that can open their door into the right lane.

I approached an intersection with a green light, and there were about a dozen cars waiting in the left turn bay. As I approach the light, a Honda pulls out of the left turn bay rapidly without signaling right in front of me. I'd guess 6 car lengths perhaps?

The Frontal Collision Avoidance sees it before it registers with me. BEEP BEEP BEEP six bright red lights appear right on my windshield before the Honda is even blocking me. It gives me just enough time to hit the brakes while the Honda cuts right in front of me and goes into the right lane and nearly hits a car in the right lane.

If I would not have braked, or braked late, I would have nailed him pretty hard.

I've went down that road hundreds of times, and never seen anyone do that before. The left turn bay is commuters heading towards the freeway.

What amazed me was how little the Honda had moved before the warning system kicked in.

Nice going Chevy. That worked PERFECT in that situation.

Note: If I did not hit the brakes, it would have. AEB = Automatic Emergency Braking is one of the gadgets I REALLY do not want to test out.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yeah, wrecking a 6 day old car is not on my Bucket List.

Although I'm now going to get a dashcam. If I would have hit the idiot, I'd want a record of it since it would have be a rear end collision.

EDIT - Unlike many cars, the Frontal Collision Avoidance (FCA cough) is both sound and HUD, not dash lights. There is an HUD projector and the red LED's are BRIGHT. They are not subtle.

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
That's great that the car has the technology to help you to avoid this. Question, does it have any kind of warning system if your sitting at a stop light and the car behind you comes up and isn't slowing down? I have a friend who's wife and daughter got rear ended by a Buick last week while sitting at a light, guy never even hit his brakes and was doing 45+ the trooper said. It pushed her into the car in front of her and also that car into the one in front of it. Totaled the Nissan double cab they were in.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dunno Pat, i dont believe it.

i say we reenact this who situation and find out if you really do hit the car without the AEB/warnings or not :angel:

it would be sweet if they got AEB in these 2500/3500s that included the trailer brakes. My eyes cant always be on the road in front when im trying to swap lanes for an exit or something else. the AEB would be nice for that one time i dont see traffic stopping while im looking in my mirrors. or the jackass that cuts you off and hits the brakes. i HATE driving in traffic with the trailer for this very reason

fast03

Jun 15, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga
Pat, we love our volt and your right its nice to never have to go to the gas station. funny when my wife had to get gas in her other car she seemed to always forget. Now somehow she remembers to plug in the volt everyday. I was looking at upgrading to the 2017 with all the bells and whistles exactly for the reason you just encountered....so many drivers suck out there.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
That's great that the car has the technology to help you to avoid this. Question, does it have any kind of warning system if your sitting at a stop light and the car behind you comes up and isn't slowing down? I have a friend who's wife and daughter got rear ended by a Buick last week while sitting at a light, guy never even hit his brakes and was doing 45+ the trooper said. It pushed her into the car in front of her and also that car into the one in front of it. Totaled the Nissan double cab they were in.

That sucks.

No, we will have to wait for the Buick to get them.

While I'm not a big one for government mandates, the quality of drivers is falling rapidly due to texting.

I would vote for a law that requires you to only drive a Automatic Braking car if you have 2 or more At Fault accidents, a DUI, or a Texting/Cellphone ticket.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
i dunno Pat, i dont believe it.

i say we reenact this who situation and find out if you really do hit the car without the AEB/warnings or not :angel:

it would be sweet if they got AEB in these 2500/3500s that included the trailer brakes. My eyes cant always be on the road in front when im trying to swap lanes for an exit or something else. the AEB would be nice for that one time i dont see traffic stopping while im looking in my mirrors. or the jackass that cuts you off and hits the brakes. i HATE driving in traffic with the trailer for this very reason

What the well-dressed Chevy sedan comes with (I will forget some):

Frontal Collision Avoidance
Blind Spot Warning (when you look at your mirror to change lanes, if there is someone in your blind spot, there is big yellow symbol in the mirror, this includes people who are speeding up from behind in other lanes)
Pedestrian Alert
Automatic Emergency Braking
Lane Keep Assistance (if you wander out of your lane without turning on your signal, it warns you and gently steers the car towards your lane)
Adaptive Cruise Control (works even in stop and go traffic, 3 settings for following distance, it WILL hit the brakes in time)
Auto high beams
Parking Assist (you must apply the accelerator or brakes, but it finds you a spot and steers the car into it)
Predictive Path high-res rear camera. You can autoX in reverse with it. Show where your car WILL be, not just where it is.

I image the trucks will get these packages too.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
At the end of this week I'll have driven ~97,000 miles this year, in 43 weeks that's an avg of ~2,300 miles a week..

90% of the drivers that have almost wrecked me or hit me on the side of the road.. don't have a cell phone in their hands ...
They can safely pass, merge, maintain speed, signal, don't know how to backup in a straight line.. let a lone reverse lane change, or back up into a spot from a 90° starting point be strong or blindside...
Not only do they have Blindspot indicators.... They now have backup assistance to preform maneuvers that are required to be mastered to get your deivers license!!

They get tunnel vision and stop being attentive to their environment :mad::mad:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Pat, we love our volt and your right its nice to never have to go to the gas station. funny when my wife had to get gas in her other car she seemed to always forget. Now somehow she remembers to plug in the volt everyday. I was looking at upgrading to the 2017 with all the bells and whistles exactly for the reason you just encountered....so many drivers suck out there.

If you haven't check with your power company. SCE gives us a huge discount.

Rydell had the best prices and no hassel on the 17 :D

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I love the crash avoidance on my LML, it works very well and has saved my ass twice. It keys the brakes up so if you breath on them they are almost full bore instantly...

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
My wife is my crash avoidance, which sucks because she doesn't stop at whoa!, she has to let me know how there's a car in front of me and my heads up my ass, then I have to remind her I'm watching and I don't brake 3 miles early.

If I wanted a new payment I'd like all these bells and whistles esp with a new baby, I'd say when it comes it'll change my mind.

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
I hate it in my semi. Especially when some guy decides he is going from far left lane to the exit. Cuts me off an my semi slams the brakes before I even have time to hit them And slams me forward.

roxyfever

Feb 11, 2016
terrell tx
No way to disable that. I disabled my Lane departure every chance I get cause it vibrates an makes this God awful loud noise. It's not aligned right so it goes off even if I'm not over the line over half the time. Especially making a left turn going on a off ramp or whatever. Goes off almost every time. I just take it easy to try an avoid my truck braking on me. Truck only goes 65mph anyway. I do love adaptive cruise control tho that's badass. An I love the automatic transmission