Knock LLY replaced injectors

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I'm starting a diesel shop, gonna call it shady deals, I'll retire in a year.

Bet they told you 13 was bad and 50 was good and change the good side so you'd come back and have them do the side that needed changed to start with.

Sounds like you need to start searching on YouTube and get some schooling on that the stuff looks like and start doing your own troubleshooting.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I never like hearing when someone not-so-educated on these engines gets taken by a dealer or shop. Its an expensive lesson.

Calm down on the rhetoric to the O/P, ok? Very few people who join here anymore are learned on these engines. There's zero reason to pile on to his problems.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I never like hearing when someone not-so-educated on these engines gets taken by a dealer or shop. Its an expensive lesson.

Calm down on the rhetoric to the O/P, ok? Very few people who join here anymore are learned on these engines. There's zero reason to pile on to his problems.

I wasn't trying to knock him, he apparently has no clue about the motor, I think the fastest way for him to at least get a grasp on what he's looking at is some videos, LLY injectors are very easy to change if you have even the slightest clue on what to do.

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
Ok so thats it... Then why did everyone quote so damn much to do it. Also the mechanic told me it took him a couple hours of soaking the injectors with a penetrating oil to get the injectors knocked loose. well 2 of them.. He only charged me 300 per injector too and said they were ac delco. I wonder if they were cheap crap because if it sounds to good to be true it usually is. He said that was his price on them through the dealership. Now I understand a mark up but does that sound right. Not going to lie I am feeling like a lazy idiot for not trying to do this myself. I just didn't know what all I would run into and when I showed up and hear snapping and he said 2 injectors were seized I thought Hell I am glad I didn't tackle that.

You know when you think someone is feeding you a line of $H!t but you have no way to back it up or no way to argue because what can you really do. Especially when you have had it with 4 other places and 1 tells you nothing is wrong, one says there is something wrong but not sure what, a stealership that is only out to swap parts and not actually mechanic, and one that well.. you have heard what he did for the most part. he always told me it would be done literally like in 2 days to come bay or what not. for 1 month 3 weeks and 4 or 5 days.. not like I was counting. And he basically raped my wallet and now I am pretty much screwed. I don't have a ton of money invested in the truck. I bought a car for 1200 and my brother traded me because he had 2 and never drove this one. he wanted a fuel efficient car and I wanted the truck. He took it to a mechanic when it was smokeing and they told him he couldn't find anything wrong that it was normal. So I knew it going into it. After paying everyone to look at it and diagnose it I still think it would be a great truck. I just don't trust anyone.. around here nor have the money to pay for it. That is why I am hellbent on doing it myself.

I don't understand where the mechanics went.. and I don't mean the parts changers. everything is sold in an assembly now so it is plug and play for the most part. I run into that in my profession. Everybody that calls me is an engineer or a gunsmith. The gunsmiths always want to give me there resume on how they built an AR-15 or changed out the grips on there buddies 1911, or they bought a prefit barrel for there savage and put it on and headspaced it. Some really are gunsmiths and you know you can tell just by listening. I love listening to what they have to say and sharing knowledge with someone that might comprehend it. Sorry for ranting lol.

I know I need to get a compression test done on like burn down said. All we have is something that screws into the threads a spark plug whole. I doubt the thread pitch is the exact same. Do they make a special tool that is stupid expensive?

Also mention was possible carbon build up. Would something like seafoam help to do a and run some of that through it?

Still I don't understand why it is so intermittent like only when it warms up. Like instantly it will just come out of no where when the thermostat gets ready to open? Could anyone explain that? Or take a shot in the dark. I understand quite a bit and then I don't if that makes any sense. for some reason I can see some of you reading this going :roflmao:. That is the part that puzzles me and i want to learn. If it is an injector then why? wire/or bolt holding injector down not tight and not dealing with all the expanding and contracting with the heat?

The whole 50 ml return being good Kills me too. Baaaaahh I really want to like this truck lol..

Thank you for reading my rant and most of all answering my questions. If you have anything to do with my area feel free to private message me. :thumb:

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
If the injector came loose and carbon built up around the injector, he may have had to soak them or if a bunch of junk got in there and corroded.

Injector prices vary depending on who builds them. You need to buy some from exergy or Lincoln diesel. They have a good price and have a good warranty and great quality.

Yes changing them can get time consuming if there is an issue, but that's why we're here. Learn your basics on the truck and we can help fill the gaps, good shops are out there for sure but sometimes it's a long haul to get there.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The knock could be intermittent because it takes some heat to expand the injector causing it to leak more fuel into the cylinder.

Below is Pat's write up on compression tests with a harbor freight link.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2091&highlight=compression+tester
This is what happens with a stuck injector and how to get them removed.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43044&highlight=stuck+injector
And this one
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32128&page=5

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Your mechanic needs to invest in an injector puller if he's going to charge people to work on said injectors. Sounds like you have one that isn't seated, take it back to the shop and have them repair it, you already paid for it to be done properly once...

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
How could I begin to prove that there is not one seated very well. I mean if I took it too him and he wasn't smart enough to tighten the hose out of the intercooler or intake or plug in 1 major wire harness. How am I going to explain to him hey it is making a knock still I think it is your fault because I only replaced 4 or the 8 injectors. I mean I don't see how I would have a leg to stand on.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I'd get a torque wrench and take a vid of you torquing it, or pull it myself and show him the carbon on it and tell him you want a percentage of your money back and thanks but I'll figure it out from here.

That's what I did in 2009, dealer told me my head gasket lbs weren't blown, then turned around and said they were after they wasted parts and wanted 6500, I said **** you and tore it down in my yard, got on DF and learned as I went, had 3800 in it and that was buying a bunch of upgrades as I went.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
18 ft/lbs. I went to 25 on mine but if you go anymore than that and you're not careful you can strip them.

Keep in mind if you just re-torque it without pulling it and cleaning the injector body and hole and change the o ring if you ever have to pull it again you'll probly have a horror story about how hard they were to pull like some of the above threads posted.

What I would do, is look for soot around the injectors and find the one that has any and go from there.

If you can't find any soot, sometimes you can't see it, I would check the torque on all of hem to see if that is your problem.

Mine had that tick where one was loose and I couldn't find it for a month until there was enough soot built up.

Moose0011

Jul 25, 2016
He said he bought new bolts for it.

I don't have a tick sound. It is a knock sound or a clank sound if that makes since. I notice sometimes you can feel a sputter.. Most of the time you can't. The loudest clanking is at around a quarter throttle.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
Yeah that don't sound like a loose injector.. I just had one come loose on my old lbz I just sold to my buddy and it sounded like just an exhaust leak on the manifold or something.. A ticking sound like was mentioned..

I had a fit pulling the injector out because it was all sooted up around the body and seized in there.

It took a while for me to find which injector it was but I finally started seeing it turning a little dark around it on the outside so if it's pretty bad already you should be able to see it..