Knock/ Chatter at 2k RPM

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Whats going on peeps, im new to this forum, coming from the Duramaxforum.

Trying to get some insight on what might be going on with my truck. I was at Irwindale on thursday, made a few passes, and everything was good. On the freeway we all started messing around and made a pull to about 110. I realized a slight noise before the exit. When i pulled off from the stop sign there was knock noise/ chatter at around 2k RPM (the loudest point). Almost sounds like an exhaust leak from the manifold. It is definitely coming from the drivers side.

It still runs fine with no misfire, smoke, and little to no blow by. I saw a post on here with similair symptons but dont want to steal his thread. Im hoping the experts on this forum have heard this before. Called a few people, and some local diese repair shops, and they seem to nver have heard it before. Trying to rule out certain thins to determine if i have to yank the motor or not.

Thanks for help!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Light throttle input or under load? Might try some additive and or two stroke oil in the fuel, if it goes away you likely have beginning signs of injector failure. I have one in my lly that taps at around 2k rpm. Quiets down with a little oil added to the fuel. We tested my injector with the highest balance rate on the stand at work just for the hell of it and it was over fueling at pilot injection.

bturner

Apr 28, 2013
Illinois
I'm saying using a scan tool. Not sure if efi will do it. Maybe a tech 2 or an expensive reader. Should be able to shut fuel off to each injector while running and listen for when the know goes away.

ScreaminDuramax

Sep 19, 2013
Torrance
Have a guy on the Duramax Forum claim to have the exact same issue and it was a Head Gasket leak. He said he felt around the back side of the motor and could feel it blowing out. Ill check this out tonight and report back

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
I'm guessing an injector shit the bed or popped loose. I had one come loose and knew it right away. A week later I had a similar knocking like your saying and it took over a week for enough soot to build up around the injector. It was a small leak. I tightened it and ran it til days off, it did fine but I changed the copper ring and o ring just because