Kicking around the idea of a centerlink brace

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I was designing a brace (in my head) similar to the design Tomac had on his truck. Basically two pieces of angle iron tied together with a piece of box steel. I was thinking of putting two heim joints on the bottom instead of one (one on each side tying it into the cross member). Mainly to keep the orientation constant.

I was curious if this would have an adverse effect on the steering under daily driving conditions? I was under the truck this weekend brainstorming and an issue didn't really jump out at me.

I know All Season offers a similar setup. I'll save folks the breath (or in this case key strokes)...I'm cheap and have access to scrap steel.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
That would work fine. Just make the bars the same length eye to eye as the factory pitman and idler arm so they swing in the same arc.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Wow I was.just kicking the same idea around today that's funny . seems like an easy part to fab .. my questions question was.would it be worth it if one has pitman and idler braces already

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
That would work fine. Just make the bars the same length eye to eye as the factory pitman and idler arm so they swing in the same arc.

Thanks man!

Wow I was.just kicking the same idea around today that's funny . seems like an easy part to fab .. my questions question was.would it be worth it if one has pitman and idler braces already

:thumb:

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
I would have to get longer heims at my brace since I have braces . where the brace is mounted to the pitman and Idler the Brace heim bolt there isnt enough thread left to through bolt the brace .. hmm

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I would have to get longer heims at my brace since I have braces . where the brace is mounted to the pitman and Idler the Brace heim bolt there isnt enough thread left to through bolt the brace .. hmm

Get rid of the braces you have now. The new brace will replace them and do a much better job if built correctly.

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
2012-01-16_19-01-13_38.jpg

Been there, done that. Glad I now have a straight centerlink....

1/8" angle lasted 2 hard launches with the front end maybe an inch above stock height. Might have held up better with the front end lowered like it is now.

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Maybe I will understand better when I look at it in the Day as to why the all season brace wouldnt fit with the cognito braces installed. Definetely not saying anyone is wrong by all means.. Or that it would be a good idea to attemp just wondering myself.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Been there, done that. Glad I now have a straight centerlink....

1/8" angle lasted 2 hard launches with the front end maybe an inch above stock height. Might have held up better with the front end lowered like it is now.

That brace leaves alot to be desired. 1/8 angle is like a toothpick to these trucks

Houser04lly

Feb 27, 2011
Fort Myers, Fl
Not fully engaged how? how does one go about making sure that when you turn the heim has enough room to swivel .. If there wasnt enough room for it to play while turning or maybe launching it might have an affect on brace while under a load as in when the tires are trying to toe .. Or am I thinking way to much.