Jobs!

diamondshocks

crash skippy racing
Feb 15, 2009
Fargo, NS
www.diamondshocks.com
i have been going to college for a year and a half;)
made it sound like you were still in high school, my bad
I'm thinking about switching to construction engineering....I don't have the time to dedicate myself hours on end daily like previously mentioned.
yep but even contruction managment is hard. right now at my house its me going to mechanical engineering and my other 3 roommates go from manufaturing engineering, construction engineering, and construction management. so we got it covered, haha. all hard stuff
tough one... do something that makes you happy. After 10-15 years it's the only thing that keeps you pluggin along. The money is simply to pay bills and go on vacation/have fun, meaningless really if your not happy. I didn't know what it was (made me happy) for me until i got to that place in life.

Whatever you choose, after you get out of school, keep in mind you spend more time at work than you will at home. :D

Ahhhh... to be 20 something again!

agreed, that is one of the reason im switching. i just dont see myself sitting a a deck in front of a computer 10 hours a day. i need to be in the shop, on the road, and dealing with people

Rebelchevy87

Nov 21, 2008
Whitmore Lake, MI
I am a mechnaical engineer as well. I originally went into it because I was interested in trucks/cars/engines etc... I went to Kettering University (Formerly GMI) because of it's strong ties to the auto industry and the co-op program (Work 3 months go to school 3 months). Funny thing, i have not spent 1 day working in the auto industry, I took a co-op w/ an orthopedic company and have spent all of my career in the medical industry. The pay is not as high as the auto industry, but you have job security. We are still hiring even in the economic downturn.

As far as liking what I do, that's hit or miss. Some day's it's great, somedays I want to beat my head on the desk until I pass out...lol. The company I work for now manufactures heart lung machines and other products for open heart surgery and it is very interesting at times, but with any job there will be stuff you don't like.

Look at what you like to do and see what careers fall within that scope.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Just to give you another example of what you can do.

I work at a Navy Base up here in the northwest. My job is to mave heavy things with cranes and other material handling equipment. We have guys like you that are math bad ass' help us design the way to move things. That means getting out of the office everyday and working right along with us on the water front. You get to see some pretty cool stuff. We have a crane that can pickup 342,000 lbs. There's a lot more than goes into it than you can imagine. It's gives you a real sence of accomplishmnet as well. It's cool when you can rig a sonar nose cone for a submarine that weighs 8K, pick it up rotate it and turn it up on it's end to slide on the front of the sub. It's a great job, I like going to work everyday. I'm sure you would enjoy it the same way I do.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
Just to give you another example of what you can do.

I work at a Navy Base up here in the northwest. My job is to mave heavy things with cranes and other material handling equipment. We have guys like you that are math bad ass' help us design the way to move things. That means getting out of the office everyday and working right along with us on the water front. You get to see some pretty cool stuff. We have a crane that can pickup 342,000 lbs. There's a lot more than goes into it than you can imagine. It's gives you a real sence of accomplishmnet as well. It's cool when you can rig a sonar nose cone for a submarine that weighs 8K, pick it up rotate it and turn it up on it's end to slide on the front of the sub. It's a great job, I like going to work everyday. I'm sure you would enjoy it the same way I do.

that sounds alot like i would like to do :hug:

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
I've seen some sort of apprenticeships you can do either before or after an engineering degree in the newport news area. You develop a "trade" ie. aircraft carrier, submarines etc..paid tuition & work. Would be a cool experience :cool:

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
For the construction side of the Government...the civilian world pays better. But, they have to go find a new job every 5 years or if it's a large job once it's done. Retirement is OK, you get to work on all types of different projects and you don't have to worry about "what happens when this project is done???"