I've located my leak...now how do I stop it?

Big Angry

<--My idea of a good time
Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
I discovered a few months back that I was having a problem with the passenger side floorboard of my truck being wet. Upon inspection, it was quite wet, and I took the truck off the road 2 weeks ago to tear out the interior to locate the source, remedy it and then install an upgraded sound system. I finished tearing out the interior this weekend, and had removed the jute and carpet to dry last weekend.
I noticed at that time, the water was running back the under the door sills, and had soaked the rear passenger side area as well. So today, with nothing in the truck, I pulled it out of the garage, started, and cranked the A/C on high for about 15 minutes. Sometime between the 10-15 minute mark, I noticed water pooling up on the passenger side. I had read that perhaps the drain was plugged, and would need cleared. That is when I discovered that I had no drain tube. Nor did I have the plastic elbow that protrudes from the fire wall that the drain tube attaches to. Not sure how or where it got lost, I would guess perhaps something happened to it along the way with the up pipe swaps. We ran a coat hanger through the opening(hoping something would dislodge to indicate a blockage, no such luck.
So, my question is, will simply replacing the elbow/hose remedy the water leak? Or is this going to turn into an issue with trying to remove the heater core (black box inside truck under dash that seems to drain trough firewall into where the elbow should be). I'm not sure if the elbow just snaps into place through the firewall hole, or if it was part of the heater core and got broken off and now I'm F'd? I'd really like the water to run out of the cab, and be able to start putting my truck back together.
Sorry for the long winded post.

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
The vent is plugged for the evaporater, there is a rubber elbow that sticks out of the firewall beneath the accumulater on the pass side. Take it out and clean it. the water should drain out of vent by the firewall and not pool up in the interior

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have the same wet carpet spot issue exactly. And i happen to have all my interior out:D However, i havent looked into it yet. I thought i had a leak from the windshield or cowl cause mine IIRC got wet after a wash or rain? Cant remember. Need to figure it out before it goes back togather. Wet carpet stinks:spit:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
There is a cleaner that you can feed the hose inside were the elbo was and it will foam up and clean the area out if cloged up. also alittle air would not hurt.

Big Angry

Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Ok,
1 fundamental question, since I am missing the elbow and hose, can those be installed relatively easily? Does perhaps the elbow just twist and lock into place? Or is something actually broken off that will prevent this? We put a coat hanger in there, and it seemed to hit nothing to indicate a plug, but I will exhaust all efforts before I call it good and put it back together. Henry, do you have any diagrams of the heatercore and drain?
Thanks.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Ok,
1 fundamental question, since I am missing the elbow and hose, can those be installed relatively easily? Does perhaps the elbow just twist and lock into place? Or is something actually broken off that will prevent this? We put a coat hanger in there, and it seemed to hit nothing to indicate a plug, but I will exhaust all efforts before I call it good and put it back together. Henry, do you have any diagrams of the heatercore and drain?
Thanks.

When I get off work and i'm not on a slow computer I will post info for the hvac area for you.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
  1. <LI type=1>Inspect for aftermarket devices which could affect the operation of the HVAC System. Refer to Checking Aftermarket Accessories in Wiring Systems. <LI type=1>Inspect the easily accessible or visible system components for obvious damage or conditions which could cause the symptom. <LI type=1>Verify the A/C compressor clutch turns freely and is not seized. <LI type=1>Verify that the customer is using the correct key to enable personalization and is not inadvertently activating auxiliary HVAC controls.
  2. The A/C compressor will not operate in cold outside air temperatures. Refer to Air Temperature Description and Operation .
<LI type=1>
  1. The following conditions may cause window fogging:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Wet carpet or mats</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>High humidity</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Interior water leak</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Blocked A/C evaporator drain tube</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Maximum passenger capacity</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Blocked body pressure relief valves</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
<LI type=1>
  1. Inspect the air distribution system for causes of reduced air flow:
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Obstructed or dirty passenger compartment air filter, if equipped</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD vAlign=top>Blocked or damaged air inlet or outlet vents</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Big Angry

Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
Thanks Henry, but I am still trying to ascertain what to do if you are missing your A/C evaporator drain tube. How does that attach through the fire wall? Do you have access to a diagram of how it goes together?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Thanks Henry, but I am still trying to ascertain what to do if you are missing your A/C evaporator drain tube. How does that attach through the fire wall? Do you have access to a diagram of how it goes together?

Ted I got tired looking this morning for it. There should be a nub sticking out and you slip that elbo on there.

Big Angry

Sep 3, 2006
South Central Pa
That's just it, no nub, no nothing. That tells me it may have been broken off.
:mad:

It comes through the firewall about 2" directly below the evaporator (insulated canister on the firewall behind the fuel filter) on the firewall, a short 90 degree elbow with a short piece of hose for draining, and there is nothing there. If you reach down and feel around, you can locate the hole through the firewall and firewall insulation where it should be, but the elbow/nub is gone.