Is this normal

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
I bought my 09 lmm last year with 40k on the truck. The front end has always sat 3in lower than the rear. Never thought much of it. I went to tighten the torsion keys today to attempt to level it a little bit and noticed the bolts were pretty far apart from each other.

ymu9y7as.jpg
gezehuqy.jpg

Is this normal? My rear is sitting at 42 1/2in and my front was at 39 1/2in. I was only able to get 1in out of height before I bottomed out the drivers side bolt. I just want to make sure I'm not having issues with the truck that I should address.

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TylerS

Gearhead
Measure your frame on both sides at the same point to make sure it is even from side to side, but I have heard and seen some trucks with the bolt threaded in different lengths. This is to accommodate weight of fuel tank on the one side I believe.

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
Well I was hoping to get a couple inches of height out of my torsion bolts but that's not going to happen then lol. Thanks guys!

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
Put longer grade 8 bolts in it won't hurt anything and if you bottom out you'll know just to back it off some

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
Hmm...I guess as long as the CV angles aren't to bad that should be ok right?

Taylor-34

Jan 13, 2014
Cali..
I would see why not bro.. I've done it plenty of times on half tons, so I'm not gonna say hell ya do it on our 3/4 tons but I also wouldn't say to do anything I wouldn't do :thumb:

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
I would see why not bro.. I've done it plenty of times on half tons, so I'm not gonna say hell ya do it on our 3/4 tons but I also wouldn't say to do anything I wouldn't do :thumb:

I like your thinking lol. I never tow with it so it's not likes it's under any crazy load. At what angle does it starting getting bad for CVs?

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
Some crank the front end to make it more level with the back, others lower the rear to level it with the front. Common for guys to use 3" drop shackles so I think that the 3" difference you see would be, or could be considered "normal" :)

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
My truck has airbags and I don't want to spend the money switching them out yet. I want to drop it, just haven't convinced myself yet to spend the money. If I do a 3in shackle and take out the over load spring...would I have to replace the shocks?

Last edited:

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
My torsion bolts look just like the first picture you posted. My truck does not sit level and if you adjust the torsion bolts you'll need an alignment

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
its not only the CV angles, it is the upper ball joint that suffers when you raise it with torsion bars

And the steering...... And the shocks...... And the fact you need an alignment after cranking......

Shackles are cheap compared to a front end after 10-20k

Dmeiborg

Oct 12, 2013
I know you need to do an alignment and such so I don't need lecturing about that. I'm not looking to crank 3in out of it. I was referring to replacing the air bags and such. I'm finding decent deals on shackles, and a guy from work in buying my bags so I may be going the shackle route now

1pieceatatime

Mar 30, 2014
Schuyler NY
Put longer grade 8 bolts in it won't hurt anything and if you bottom out you'll know just to back it off some

Uh, how exactly does that work? Torsion bar bolts are threaded to the head, after a certain length, standard bolts don't have any additional thread on them, the bolt gets longer and the length of the thread does not.......