Is there a too low?

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
May be a dumb question, but is there a certain point where lowering the truck too much becomes a problem? Trying to get the stance all worked out this year.

I currently have 2 leafs and shackles in the rear with caltracs and coil overs up front with djm lca. Looking to do the mcgaughys drop hangers and 2 inch spindles on the front. Besides having to notch the frame in the rear, are there any driveline problems that start to come into play especially once you start putting some decent power down?

AJH

Sep 7, 2015
Memphis TN
I would say cv shafts if you get really low not sure on the rear end other than having zero travel without a c notch.

BLACKMAX1

WAY2EVL
Jul 10, 2013
VA beach
The spindles are going to add more of a negative angle to your CV's. Mopark didn't use spindles when lowering his for this reason and his trucks sits pretty low.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
The spindles are going to add more of a negative angle to your CV's. Mopark didn't use spindles when lowering his for this reason and his trucks sits pretty low.
If the differential is in the stock location, ride height will determine the CV angle. Doesn't matter what method you use to get there.......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Brian (hondarider522) said at one point on his old gray lbz he had to run CV spacers to keep them from pulling apart. Right now I'm lower than moparkxracer and I haven't had an issue with anything as far as angles yet... The biggest issue for me at this point is hitting the frame on the axle and the control arms have made the front jounce bumpers disappear.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
CV angle will be the issue like everyone is saying. Also pinion angle depending on how you lower it but a shim will fix that easy

Sean, your pretty close to where brian's old truck was. even with spacers, once Mark (guy who bought his old truck) twinned it, he couldnt keep CV's from blowing apart down the track under power.

if the CV angle looks like a mirror image of a leveled truck, you are tempting CV fate lol

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
I need to do the spindles because the coilover set up I have already has too little of travel. The CVS are level right now so a little negative won't hurt since the front end will come up during launch.

The rear I'm mostly wondering aboutcthem drive shafts. Is it designed to work completely in line with theach rear end and transfer case? I know stock it would never get close to that position and if it will work fine the hangers will cure the angle difference between the t case.

Last edited:

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I need to do the spindles because the coilover set up I have already has too little of travel. The CVS are level right now so a little negative won't hurt since the front end will come up during launch.

The rear I'm mostly wondering aboutcthem drive shafts. Is it designed to work completely in line with theach rear end and transfer case? I know stock it would never get close to that position and if it will work fine the hangers will cure the angle difference between the t case and pinion.

Haven't looked much at the front drive shafts, will anything be causing a problem there also?

Well if you have a decent coilover setup with rebound control you should be getting very little front-end lift on launch. As for the rear, your pinion angle is the key factor for the life of your u-joints and drive line.

How low do you want to go, should have asked that first :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

The rear I'm mostly wondering aboutcthem drive shafts. Is it designed to work completely in line with theach rear end and transfer case? I know stock it would never get close to that position and if it will work fine the hangers will cure the angle difference between the t case.

Thats a good way to destroy them.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
Does anyone know of someone moving the front diff up to achieve better cv's or is it just not worth the time and just set it to where it will work best without breaking stuff?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Does anyone know of someone moving the front diff up to achieve better cv's or is it just not worth the time and just set it to where it will work best without breaking stuff?

you dont have the room to move it up anything worth while. hop under there and take a look. you will see why.

1SloLMM

Oct 25, 2014
Sioux City, IA
I don't believe a body drop is an option since it was raised in the first place to help clear the intercooler/bigger rad.

How do I get it lower without using spindles if I cant safely get a shorter shock for the coilovers? Does anyone know if Brian changed his LCA to pull the spindle back in? I already switched over to the DJM arms since I couldnt get the alignment within spec

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Oh no body drop is definitely possible, there was a guy on DF that did a 2" and then ended up cutting his floor and went even lower