Is there a good drop light?

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
I am so tired of junk lights in our shop. What are you guys using that you like. If it uses a regular light bulb I want nothing to do with it. I have seen a couple of these little fluorescent things that wern't worth a good slap either. I even had the opertunity to use on that had about 3 billion little LED's in it and threw it acrost the room. Is there a drop light made that doesn't suck?

Phil

E.carter

Feb 16, 2008
Princeton, Iowa
I have a mac floresent that is corded..... It was pricey and has lasted the drop off of combines and throws good light and I have a new cordless from matco that has tons of leds in it and I am also impressed with that. I could get the model #'s if you havent been that route yet

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
Yes please. I have never tried the good ones like matco or snap-on. Corded is not a problem and I will use it on our combine as well. Farmers are hard on equiptment.

Phil

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
I just broke my POS floro light and ended up buying a Black and Decker LED Cordless. I know it is also another POS but I'm hard on stuff so when this one breaks, I won't care as much...

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I use a LED style for last year, and while the light is harse, it does the job without breaking, and it's cordless. I agree, both flourescent and filament lights will always bust. Put in a "long life" bulb with the filaments and it will survive drops better since the wires inside are stronger.

And I really hate sweeping up glass.

NelsonDiesel

Formerly StewieTuned
May 8, 2008
Buena Park, CA
www.NelsonDiesel.com
the snappy one i had has a nice case that holds all glass inside if you break the bulb. I actually didn't break too many bulbs... the casing snapped in half after so many drops....

They have a 4 light one that looks pretty sweet.

I have an led one as well and it doesn't light up worth crap.

The thing about most lights are they are round. So if you set it in a place to light up it rolls and floats down the engine... With the snappy 2 and 4 lights one they are a bit wider and stay put a whole lot better. All this talk actually makes me miss mine and i may have to order one of those 4 light ones now.

knagel

weakest link finder
Jun 4, 2007
Central, Iowa
they look a little gay when you wear them but we use the LED light you strap on your head. It has elastic and stretches over your head so where ever you look you have light. It works in most places and get a little getting used to but it is handy. Kinda looks like a coalminer helmet light.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
Would a halogen light be any good for you? I use a 500 W and a 150 W for different times?

I have them here and they work well but sometimes a smaller light is needed.

A simple answer to this thread NO

Some are better than others but I always look at drop lights as a consumable:eek:

I agree that they are all made to piss you off and then get thrown in the garbage but I am looking for one that will take longer to piss me off.

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Agreed, shop lights suck! Im an auto tech so, im around them all day. Regular bulb types are too big, light too low, broken glass, burn the hell outta you! Floro's suck too, no beam throw, expensive, bulbs wiggle loose. I am very happy with my rechargable Maglite, nice and bright, put light where i need it, goes anywhere, tough. But it is hard to keeplight on a spot sometimes and its not cheap but...its a great light, anywhere i take it.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I have one that is basically a tube with a flourescent bulb inside it, it attaches to an extension cord, it works well and is surprisingly strong. I have had it for close ten yrs or so, went through a few trans changes (not the dmax....yet:D), numerous oil changes and small maintenence jobs. It was originally yellow.....now its black but it works like new.

Just got a rechargeable led one a while back and I don't like it near as much, the light is too concentrated.

Last edited:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
i just bought one of those retractable ones from harbor freight, it's got another plug on it too which comes in handy. i usually just by all my drop lights from there b/c for 8 bucks i can afford to drop or run them over every once in a while lol.