Is it possible to mess up your alignment when launching in 4wd?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I stopped worrying about alignment 2 years ago. After 20-30 passes it would be out again and I'm not getting aligned every couple weeks. I think 4x4 launching messes up the steering box and damages the idler/pitman arms, no matter what mods you have.

Yep. When you start racing your truck, you either do as RickUSAF did (lifetime alignments) or live with the oddball steering issue.

BTW, End.....nice times in your sig. Its addictive, isnt it?

The End

Dec 9, 2012
Yep. When you start racing your truck, you either do as RickUSAF did (lifetime alignments) or live with the oddball steering issue.

BTW, End.....nice times in your sig. Its addictive, isnt it?

Yeah, for how much I got into the set up it's almost as fast as my Z28 was.
I wanted to find a used duramax for my El Camino eventually but I've already got a 4.8 LS motor for it. The thing launches so hard it's unreal. I tree'd every car I ran last night.

I would like to get to 500 rwhp and then I think I would be satisfied for a while. I was crossing the traps at the end of 4th so I don't think I can go any faster without doing the trans first. Guess I know where my tax return is going, haha.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Just an fyi. I was staying in 4th on 28" drag radials until 92-93mph. Didn't help to go to fifth. Started going to fifth once I started going faster then that.

The End

Dec 9, 2012
With your tune does the rpm limiter go up? I've got a ppe can tune and 245/75/16 Michelins on. It crosses at 35-3600 rpm which is pretty much redline.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
PPE runs good for a handheld, but just wait til you get an EFI tune someday. Definitely want a built trans first. Have fun!

The End

Dec 9, 2012
Yeah I'm already ready to do EFI live but I really don't understand how it is or isn't packaged together. I understand the dsp5, but I don't know what the autocal is or what I even need.

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Yeah I'm already ready to do EFI live but I really don't understand how it is or isn't packaged together. I understand the dsp5, but I don't know what the autocal is or what I even need.

The Autocal is a custom hand held programmer that a tuner loads with tunes specific to your truck with what you want. Get ahold of the guys at ATP, Click here: www.atptrucks.com They will explain all of it to you.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I got my steering box a few months back at Lakeland. Launched in 4X4 and now I have about 2-3 inches of play in the steering wheel. Crawled underneath and checked all of my adjustments, and found it's internal in the box. So much for that AGR HD steering box. Then again leaving at 10lbs of boost and spinning all 4 wasn't easy on it.My BURB was doing 84.3 at a 9.11 at LAKELAND in November. I need to get a fueling issue straightened out so I can drop into the 8's.