Interested powerstroke owner

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
I currently have a 2008 6.4 powerstroke which I love! It's a supercab short bed (extended cab). Things have changed a bit in life and I want to lower my payment and possibly look into a crew cab. I was looking at 6.0 and 7.3 powerstrokes and found some nice ones but I used to havering a pretty fast truck (mines tuned and deleted with the hd300 tune). The 6.0 and 7.3 are dogs compared to my 6.4, I started looking at duramax's. What years are the best to look at? I'd like to stay 03 and newer and not to big of a fan of the 07.5+ body style so I guess 03-07 trucks. I really like the gmc sierra but seems like the silverado's are easier to come by? So I guess my questions are which years are the most realizable? Which are the most fuel efficient? And easiest/ cheapest to mod and make fast? How many miles is too many miles and what should I pay for one with 150k miles or less crew cab and extended cab? What are the basic modifications to start with? This may be a dumb question on a gm forum but will I be happy with a duramax over my 6.4 powerstroke? Thanks for all the help and sorry for my grammar I'm on my iPhone.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
You will have to pay to play.

If it was me, I'd keep the 6.4.

I'm all about speed...hot nasty speed.

You'd be into a duramax 5g's over purchase price to make it as fast as your 6.4. A duramax would need a built trans, lift pump, and a good EFI Live tune to even touch your 6.4

That being said... I have a tuned and deleted 11' 6.7 ford and a 05 duramax with twins in my garage, and I almost always choose the duramax to drive. Duramaxs' are the bee's f**king knees.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014
I'd like to go low 12's to high 11's and be daily drive able with decent mpg and reliability summer or winter (Wisconsin). Also be able to tow and haul. Maybe I'm asking for too much? Plan is to possibly sell my 6.4 and buy something cheaper to lower my payment. I'd then have more "play money". This year I'd only do exhaust, intake, and tune (safe one that won't hurt my trans). Over the next two years I'd slowly like to make it to the low 12's high 11's. I may just keep my 6.4 but looking into the duramax's. Another reason is in the county I live in they emission test 07 and newer diesels so if I found a 03-06 I would have to swap back and forth emissions equipment. This is the only reason my egr is still in place. Also from what I hear the duramax gets better fuel mileage? I average 16 mpg city right now.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I was afraid of that. If you don't mind me asking what is your set up and about how much did it cost to get you there?

I have dual cp3's, 30% injectors, built trans, head studs, fass 150, s472 turbo kit and efi live. I dynoed 721 horse but track times put me at 680. Which is way pushing it on a stock motor.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
To run a low 12 your looking at 7k+

With no hookups in the industry and having a shop build your trans...i would say your more like the 10k range.

4500 trans, 2300 dual cp3, 400-2000 for injectors/nozzles depending how you do it, 450-700 for a fass, 2000-3000 for a single turbo setup.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Some guys push stock parts alot harder and can get low 12's for a good bit less...but I would say a safe estimate is around 7k.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Sorry man, the craigslist ads are restricted to my mobile devise???
Weird?

I did see the red one, but I'm not a fan of the LB7's and early LLY's. Not that they're bad, per se, but between the 5sp trans and how difficult changing injectors is on them, I just look past and go for a late model LLY w/a 6sp or an LBZ.

FWIW, the LLY w/the 6sp is pretty much an LBZ with a weaker tune, so if you're planning on tuning it anyways, it's just as good ;)

Andrew

Costly Obsessions
Aug 7, 2013
delaware
If he's pretty mechanically inclined he could build his own trans an save a little there. Honestly I'm a die hard Chevy guy always have been but them 6.4s tempt me I would never buy one to replace my DMAX but I'd be tempted to have it as a DD. But they all fall back to the true colors of ford rough riding like a cinder block on wheels an a mother to work on... Duramaxs are on a different level IMHO. Yes they cost a bit more to get to your goals but its worth it in my book. Go for 06-07 lbz Lly there the best of the best without a lot of the emission bs with the lmm 07.5 up.

Tjmaxx

Jun 7, 2014

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Sorry man, the craigslist ads are restricted to my mobile devise???
Weird?

I did see the red one, but I'm not a fan of the LB7's and early LLY's. Not that they're bad, per se, but between the 5sp trans and how difficult changing injectors is on them, I just look past and go for a late model LLY w/a 6sp or an LBZ.

FWIW, the LLY w/the 6sp is pretty much an LBZ with a weaker tune, so if you're planning on tuning it anyways, it's just as good ;)

04.5+ dmaxs all have external injectors. Not buying a dmax simply because it isn't a 6 speed is foolish in my opinion.

plowboy_lbz

Farmer
Aug 6, 2013
My neighbor ran a 12.3 at 110 mph with a ccsb lbz with a built trans, efi, and a modified cp3, motor is all stock. He drives it like an idiot everyday and tows 20,000 lbs. reliable low 12's dmax is possibly just have it in the back of your head something will fail eventually. Lbz's will handle more power than others but they are like the 6.4 and are prone to cracking pistons.