Intercooler opinions

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
anyone have any experience with aftermarket intercoolers? A couple of my dodge friends say their AFE's run 1-200 degrees cooler than their Banks units did, but AFE doesn't make one for chevy's. I am undecided if i need one and if so which one.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
From Bonneville data, my PPE intercooler held intake air temps to a peak of 140 deg when combined with a Snow pure water injection system at 60psig. Atmospheric temp was 88 deg at inlet.

Not sure what it's supposed to be.

SteveFord

What's Next?
May 8, 2008
Iowa
Wasn't BD on here a while back with their intercooler for I thought it was lb7 models? Thought there was a discusion on how much better the air flow through it with guys running big boost was supposed to be from their design but not sure if anything became of it or not?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
IMO the stock air to air IC isn't all that bad. If a guy is going to spend his time and money upgrading his IC, I would do it right and go with a PWR Water to Air set-up. Mick runs one and says it works awesome!!

http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

There are other ones as well that will also work for you at a lower cost. Frozenboost makes some good ones as well.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
IMO the stock air to air IC isn't all that bad. If a guy is going to spend his time and money upgrading his IC, I would do it right and go with a PWR Water to Air set-up. Mick runs one and says it works awesome!!

There are other ones as well that will also work for you at a lower cost. Frozenboost makes some good ones as well.

Thats what i remember hearing too! that our stockers were pretty decent.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Our stock intercooler is very large, with 3" in and out.

When I was at 500HP, I found increasing the intercooler size over stock did not drop my ET's at the track. Not sure at higher power levels though. Haven't isolated testing.

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia

Thats right Dale, first went to a Banks A/A but didnt improve Intake temps over stock even though it may have flowed more air. Have had the PWR 4" one on for 18 months or so with no problems. Intake temp is consistantly within a degree or 2 of ambient. Id like to play with an Air Conditioner somehow into an I/C oneday.....

Last edited:

ZR1160

TT Dmax Junkie
Jan 12, 2007
Eastern Canada
The nice thing about the BD intercooler, is that it has reinforced cast ends for high boost, the spearco ones were swelling the ends at high boost. Or at least the first ones they came out with.... they have improved the design.

bigchev

Apr 14, 2009
Boise, Idaho
Wasn't BD on here a while back with their intercooler for I thought it was lb7 models? Thought there was a discusion on how much better the air flow through it with guys running big boost was supposed to be from their design but not sure if anything became of it or not?

My BD Intercooler works great for towing. I has brought my EGT's down approx. 100 to 150 degrees when towing my 10,000 lb. travel trailer in the Idaho mountains. I think that the BD Turbo helps as well...:hello:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
My BD Intercooler works great for towing. I has brought my EGT's down approx. 100 to 150 degrees when towing my 10,000 lb. travel trailer in the Idaho mountains. I think that the BD Turbo helps as well...:hello:

I'd be willing to bet the turbo did the most for your egt improvement!;)