Insurance companies replacing motors/parts?

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
How many of you have had successful luck in the past with insurance companies replacing your blown motors &/or major damage? I've always seen guys on here just blow their motor & lose thousands then later build. Two friends of mine have contacted their insurance companies recently, one for a blown motor which they replaced free of charge and now my other buddy with a blown hg in his dmax. He just called and told me they are replacing everything for free and possibly throwing in a bit more $$ so he could get a set of up-pipes? I realize every insurance company is different and their rates would obviously go up but it seems like a hell of a lot better idea than cut your losses and in the hole thousands of dollars?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Depends on exactly what you're getting done and what your deductible is. It'd surely make your premium go up but idk how much. Prolly just depends on your co on that. I know I was in a wreck last Halloween where I totaled a prius ($28k) & ~6500 on our truck and my premium didn't go up $0.01!!

Next claim it might go up 10% though so who knows?!?!

I'd say you'd have to get a quote for a replacement engine. I'd get that quote from GM because I believe a complete replacement is over $10k and prolly more like $15k including labor. Get a check for that & go shopping at SoCal & do assembly yourself!! :D

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Be careful tho on that as 12-15k is prolly getting close to the limit of costs to total out an 01-02!! I believe totaled value = 80% of actual value per their standard.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
How many of you have had successful luck in the past with insurance companies replacing your blown motors &/or major damage? I've always seen guys on here just blow their motor & lose thousands then later build. Two friends of mine have contacted their insurance companies recently, one for a blown motor which they replaced free of charge and now my other buddy with a blown hg in his dmax. He just called and told me they are replacing everything for free and possibly throwing in a bit more $$ so he could get a set of up-pipes? I realize every insurance company is different and their rates would obviously go up but it seems like a hell of a lot better idea than cut your losses and in the hole thousands of dollars?

Its called scamming you insurance company. I had a friend do this a few times not nice they caught him on the 2nd truck he did this on. He filled the claims under someone dumping crap in the fuel in the one and they cut a check to rebuild the whole motor and replace the fuel tank and pump. around 18k. He went to do it around year later and they figured it out and it wasnt even for his truck it was under the same ins company for a customers truck.

If your going to play with your truck like you have been over the last few years you have to pay to play or just live with a stock truck.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
A guy that I worked with in the oilfield had a dodge cummins and his insurance company told him they would cover his engine replacement.

He got bad fuel and it messed the motor up pretty bad(injectors,turbo,ect...). The dealer wouldnt warranty a replacement they only changed out some parts. When he got the truck back it sounded like it was cammed and smoked like crazy. The dealer said that its normal and the smoke was from old oil in the exhaust. He then continued to drive the truck and got ahold of his insurance company, they said that if the motor dies again then they will cover a full replacement.

For him it was like having a second warranty that allowed him to bag the crap out of it.

All this was with about 60,000 miles and the truck was already on its third turbo and second set of injectors before the bad fuel.

Sep 10, 2008
I understand where you are coming from completely and I'm nowhere inferring that I would intentionally try to commit some sort of insurance fraud. I thought it was unusual for an insurance company to cover an engine replacement period that's all.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I understand where you are coming from completely and I'm nowhere inferring that I would intentionally try to commit some sort of insurance fraud. I thought it was unusual for an insurance company to cover an engine replacement period that's all.

Yea you just have to watch how its done. With what work thats done to your truck already if they looked at it they might say something. I could see trying it if some kids dumped something into your tank or if you got bad fuel but it would be a hard fight for most of us with aftermarket parts hanging off are trucks.:hug: My 79 Z28 is covered for alittle over 25k for aftermarket parts on my next trip home I am getting my truck covered for around 75k since someone tried stealing it when we were at SEMA. So I will not be out of all the money I have into aftermarket part and the built motor and the truck and man hours of work.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
my insurance company covered my gauges when they got stolen and i never told them i had them. granted this is not a motor but they were told the gauges were about $1200 ;) and thats what they gave me.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
That's pretty amazing that auto insurance would cover a engine lose or transmission lose just for a bad fuel with out them asking many questions if not investigating the fuel station and other incidents. Sounds risky

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
I don't think I'd try it...reason for me is when you get a new policy or add a vehicle they specifically ask you if the vehicle has any customizations or modifications you would like covered. I'd say a good majority (including myself) say no most of the time. Therefore you (if at the time have mods) are intentionally omitting that fact. Deliberate omission is still a lie ;) Not worth it to me.

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
It doesnt hurt to ask your agent, most companies don't cover mechanical breakdowns. I've seen fires secondary to a blown engine that were not covered by insurance. It all depends on the relationship you have with your agent and how your policy is written.:hug:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
How did they try and steal it?

Let's put it this way. It was a waste of time for Gm to put a strip across the top to stop from a slim Jim. When all they have to do is pop your lock out of the door handle it screws it all up. Just a good thing I have a viper on it were once it's set off it disarms the starter. Was thing of a system once you set off the warning on the alarm then it arms itself to shock who ever touchs tge truck.

Sep 10, 2008
Let's put it this way. It was a waste of time for Gm to put a strip across the top to stop from a slim Jim. When all they have to do is pop your lock out of the door handle it screws it all up. Just a good thing I have a viper on it were once it's set off it disarms the starter. Was thing of a system once you set off the warning on the alarm then it arms itself to shock who ever touchs tge truck.

Hey that sounds like a neat toy :D I'd sure love to have one but I imagine it costs a pretty penny. I've seen several trucks broken into very easily; Bullfrogjohnson (Travis) I believe had his ipod stolen awhile back and had the key hole punched in.

LBZ_Duramax

May 12, 2009
North Carolina
www.parrishfire.com

That sucks and just think how many GM vehicles have that same crappy design. I guess like the old saying goes "A locked door only keeps an HONEST man out"

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008

Do you know which model # of Viper you have on your truck. I remember it had remote start too.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Randy I think I still have the paper work on it so I will see if the number is on there.I think George has the same one in his truck also. It has a 2 1/2 mile range on the 2 way remote for starting and telling me if someone bumps it or anything. Once they set it off they left there was about 800 in tools on the back floor my efi live in the concol and 200 raybans and my gauges. After the alarm went of they just left I figured they would atleast took something but they wanted the whole thing.

Skyhigh4by

Goin to Poochisloose
Apr 13, 2008
Powell River, BC
I have never once been asked about modifications when insuring a vehicle.

I suppose engine replacement would go under the vandalism coverage if it was bad fuel...

Insurance/Reg is a bit different here in BC because there is really only 1 company and its called ICBC (insurance company of british columbia) and it is a government run company. One nice thing about it is that the rates are controlled and typically better than other places. My insurance was more than double when I lived in Alberta.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
The LAST thing i would worry about is screwing an insurance company, after all the scams theyve been involved with lately, they deserve a screwing, i mean c'mon, how many people do they screw everyday? I know im one of them!

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
The LAST thing i would worry about is screwing an insurance company, after all the scams theyve been involved with lately, they deserve a screwing, i mean c'mon, how many people do they screw everyday? I know im one of them!

X2 we're still fighting them over our house getting struck by lightning on September 19th, dirty f@ckers:mad: