Insulate intake?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Have any more details on the Ron Davis radiator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

no, it would be coming from here

http://wimbleberryfeatherstone.com/invention/?page_id=20

Joe is local to me and have talked with him on what id want to do.

right now im trying a mister setup to spray on the cooling stack for the end of the month. im curious if it will drop temps like i think it will. trying to get the right gph nozzles right now. .5 doesnt seem like enough so im trying some 1gph tonight

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
What IAT are you reading IIRC 1 is in the intake the other is post intercooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's the (for me) $64,000 question...

I plugged in the ScanGauge and scrolled to fIA (Fahrenheit Intake Air)... I assumed it was the MAF/IAT I was monitoring... No?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What IAT are you reading IIRC 1 is in the intake the other is post intercooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

since his a 05, he only has one IAT sensor and its in the MAF. So he is only seeing pre intercooler temps. 06 and up are the only ones that got a post intercooler IAT sensor

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Its a big difference over what im currently dealing with. i dont have to drive anywhere near like an asshole when towing to get my truck in the 230-240 coolant temp range when towing over the summer. Im looking at doing the aux radiator and redoing my front bumper or swapping to LBZ cooling stack with a ron davis radiator to get me somewhere close to 50% cooling capacity increase. at this point, i cant make up my mind on direction.....

My boat will get my LMM heated to 240 quick. The slightest grade and I can watch the temp gauge climb. Surprisingly the ole lb7 doesn't ever get hot. Well not hot enough to get concerned with. 15,000 lbs empty pushing 19,000 when loaded with fuel.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
A quick update with some ScanGauge II readings

Stock air box... Ambient temp 92* -- IAT 10 - 15* over that at highway speeds... IAT as high as 187* stopped in traffic...

Stock AB with redneck cold air intake... IAT 10 _ 15* over ambient and the filter minder gets sucked down almost to "replace"... 140* or so stopped

Front triangle of AB removed (pulling our FW for these readings)...2-3* over ambient on the highway... 132* stopped (got up to 155* at extended idle whilst hooking up the FW) IAT dropped almost immediately as I began moving... With the engine fan engaged the IAT didn't clime more than 5-8* pulling in Denvers slow and go rush hour traffic...

So... I'm not completely convinced I need to insulate the intake to keep false readings at bay...

We're heading to the hills this weekend so maybe I'll take along some insulating wrap just as a further experiment...

What are you calling the front triangle? The top cover?

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
This is the plan I followed for his Redneck cai...

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/diy-tech-discussion/97195-how-lb7-lly-air-box-cai-mod.html

Pulled our roughly 11,000# fifth wheel from Denver to SLC on Wednesday... Ambient Temps well into the 90's... On one long uphill pull (guessing around 5 miles total with the grade constantly increasing) the fan came on and stayed on... IAT went to 143 (max) coolant rose to a round 220 (IIRC)... Either way, I was well inside the safe zone temp wise... No coolant loss occurred...

Very happy with this cheapo intake mod...

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
Do you have any pics from that thread?

Bummer... I can see 'em...

Let's try this:
Here's the photos in the order they came from that thread... The removed triangle is the first pic... With the yellow squiggly arrow in it

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 20

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
I have to draw cool air in the intake as well. Whenever the fan kicks on it wont turn off.

Open the hood, check aircleaner, it's full of radiator temp air ! No wonder it climbs to 107 Celcius. Fans is pushing very hot air in my engine.

That's why im here, looking at at the mods because I dont want to have to reprogram the maf with a lbz intake. I already have the lbz mouthpiece

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
Triangle removed pic...

The LBZ mp was by far the single biggest improvement to my intake heat issues...

Removing this triangle (and blocking the top/sides of the LLY air box with a foam strip) doesn't do as much good as the LBZ air box conversion but on our most recent trip the truck hasn't overheated even once pulling some pretty long impressive hills... The fan comes on and the IAT climbs maybe 20* over where it previously registered, the coolant temp climbs to 225-230* and stays there...

As soon as we crest the top of the mountain pass everything settles back to normal rather quickly...

This is a graph of Rabbit Ears Pass... Pulled up this one yesterday afternoon... Ambient temp around 88-93*

http://www.mybicycleroutes.com/images/colorado/rabbit/profilesm.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
Foam one more time... This folded section of foam goes between the radiator support and the air box...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14

jollyrogr

Jun 23, 2016
Thanks for the pics! So you blocked off the hole on the side and are just pulling through the hole you made in the front? There's no advantage to opening the hole in the fender and pulling through the fender?

S 854

Nov 1, 2015
Centennial, CO
Thanks for the pics! So you blocked off the hole on the side and are just pulling through the hole you made in the front? There's no advantage to opening the hole in the fender and pulling through the fender?

The foam strip runs vertical from the bottom rear corner of the air box to the top rear corner of the air box... then along the top/passenger side of the air box to the front... then it goes across the front of the air box-- along the seam where the top and bottom of the air box join-- just about half the length of the air box to where the radiator support is... then it is folded in half to create a thicker foam... the thicker foam runs down between the radiator support and the bottom portion of the air box...

This isolates (to a degree) the radiator fan wash from the intake... you have created a barrier along the top/sides of the air box... the air box can still pull some air from between the air box and the fender (from below)... the triangle hole kinda makes up for the restriction created by the foam (the air box can no longer pull (hot) air from around the top of the air box with the foam in place)

Don't remove the 'tape' from the hole in the fender... it was discovered by GM to cause water ingestion in the earlier Duramax models... that's why the tape is there...

It took me longer to type this than it actually takes to run that foam around the air box... I pulled to top of the air box off and removed the filter... that way I could position the foam where it needed to be...

Last edited:

jollyrogr

Jun 23, 2016
Thanks! I know some guys have removed the tape to pull air out of the fender and I was considering doing that myself - thanks for the info