instart no restart on great running engine (new Injectors)

onthebrinc

Aug 19, 2012
I purchased an
2004 gmc 2500hd 6.6 lb7 with 210,000 miles not running very cheap for a project truck.
After finding only 1,000 max fuel pressure while cranking with all needed P.I.D.s I pulled all 8 injectors and the cp3 for testing. All 8 injectors had issues but it turns out the pump was relatively new. The cp3 tested good 1800 bar 25000 ish max pressure.
Repair I installed 8 bosch reman injectors and reinstalled the cp3 with the f.P.R. that was used for testing. After bleeding the fuel the truck cranked only about 15 seconds on its INITIAL startup after repair. Warmed up the engine check for codes and leaks all good. I took the truck for a 15 mile test drive and it performed great 25000 psi fuel pressure good power no smoke. HOWEVER after shutting the truck off and trying to restart it with in 5 seconds it was a crank no start. It would only make 1160 psi of fuel pressure.
After checking for the normals Filter head, Air in fuel and pressurizing the tank to look for leaks I checked the primer in the head and that will get hard 3 pumps. I did not think I had any fuel supply issues so I checked injectors because I have had remans bad out of the box. I ball and capped each injector fuel port and went through each injector 1 by 1. Every time I could only build 1160 ish psi cranking after starting the engine on 7 cylinders briefly to bleed out air?
When the engine is running I can command the fpr and audibly hear the fuel pressure change so I believe it is good however I cant understand why instantly after a shutdown I cannot build more than 1160 psi fuel pressure?
I am very able to understand diagnostics I just don’t work on this particular engine very much so if someone could help me that would be great.
One more note is that with the multiple injector failure I suspected the fuel could be tainted so I bleed the entire fuel system tank, supply, return and everyline ontop of engine.Then added ten fresh gallons of fuel along with stanadyne. Balance Rates all in spec when engine is running.
What could cause an instant nostart after shutdown on this engine when it runs great with all good balance rates, new bosch remans and a cp3 that tests and works great?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
Thank you

onthebrinc

Aug 19, 2012
No lift pump all thigh I do pressurize tank to ensure low pressure fuel to cp3 trying to eliminate that possibility

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
Yeah, definately sounds like air getting in from somwhere. When you replaced the injectors did you also replace the feed lines? If not, did you polish the tips of them so that no corrosion was in the seating area? I am dealing with a similer issue... just replaced the DS injectors but dont have the money to do PS yet. Once I do I am hoping my issue goes away.

onthebrinc

Aug 19, 2012
i did not replace the feed line i media blast them and reuse. i have done it at lease 100 times and never had an issue.

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
How fast is the starter spinning the engine. I believe its around 180 minimum rpm for the pump to build enough psi to start.
When it won't start will a small shot of ether make it start? If so, you are spinning too slow, have a weak pump or have a high pressure leak somewhere.
I don't think it is an air leak problem if it is right after you shut it off. If it had an air leak that bad it would be running bad or not at all.

TonOfDalt

More is better!!!!
Aug 9, 2012
Spoke Valley, WA.
How fast is the starter spinning the engine. I believe its around 180 minimum rpm for the pump to build enough psi to start.
When it won't start will a small shot of ether make it start? If so, you are spinning too slow, have a weak pump or have a high pressure leak somewhere.
I don't think it is an air leak problem if it is right after you shut it off. If it had an air leak that bad it would be running bad or not at all.

I would shoot for the pump if anything... If its a high pressure leak then there should be fuel in the crankcase. After replacing my DS injectors my starter crapped out out of nowhere! Fully sharged all I could get was "click" unless I beat on it with a hammer. AutoZone Reman ran me about $160 and I could definately tell an increase in cranking speed but still no start. I get about 900 PSI cranking.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
When it won't start will a small shot of ether make it start?

I don't recommend ether on a modern diesel. Just asking for trouble, IMO.

Log the engine RPM during cranking. GM specs is 100 RPM cold to 180 RPM hot. When not starting hot, you should see 180 RPM, or close to it. More is better!

It really sounds like a high return issue, which is odd for new injectors. I'd suspect the pump, as the injectors are all new.

Other than that, no useful suggestions on the no start when hot. Sorry.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Js95gt

Dec 4, 2010
Walker, LA
If you have any common sense, ether won't kill it. If you use too much it will overspeed the motor and you will have a problem.

I would check your cranking rpm very close. I suspect this may be your problem...

onthebrinc

Aug 19, 2012
got it
problem was the high pressure relief valve. supposed to pop of at 27500 was letting fuel through on crank.
Replaced it and no more problems!!!

thanks guys