Installing Stage 4 Trans KIt

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Forestdale. Brisbane.Australia
I have received Stage 4 Trans kit as supplied by PPE. Hard to find anyone who knows anything about Allison in Brisbane Australia. However have got my truck booked in for Monday at Detroit - Allison workshop who mainly do big rigs. The question they asking me is after they have done the mods is there any reprogramming that has to be done separately to the trans? I have efi live with a pat tune in it. thanks anyone

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Stage 4

Well got my truck back yesterday from Stage 4 upgrade from PPE. Used my PPE Handheld to clear a few codes then away we went. C2 weres burnt out otherwise stock trans was in reasonable shape for the caining its had with the Pat tune in it. GT42R arrived yesterday afternoon with Headstuds. No instructions with anything so see how I go. Should have it all in by next 10 days with twin cp3's. then a tune from Pat and see what happens - then dyno then out to the track. will let yall know for sue - :eek:

LTChip

Aug 30, 2006
Which would require you to have a Tech2 on hand....no such feature available with EFILive.

This is incorrect. EFI Live can clear TAPS which does put it into fast learn. If you have V1 you'll need to burn a license on the TCM though. V2 is VIN based so you can tune your ECM and TCM with one lic.

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well got my truck back yesterday from Stage 4 upgrade from PPE. Used my PPE Handheld to clear a few codes then away we went. C2 weres burnt out otherwise stock trans was in reasonable shape for the caining its had with the Pat tune in it. GT42R arrived yesterday afternoon with Headstuds. No instructions with anything so see how I go. Should have it all in by next 10 days with twin cp3's. then a tune from Pat and see what happens - then dyno then out to the track. will let yall know for sue - :eek:

Are you doing connecting rods? I think I would do some reading around the web and think about it long and hard before unleashing the full potential of that setup without them. Just a thought on case you weren't planning on upgrading them.

Good luck and congrats on the build.

C-ya

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Any place show in detail how to reset TAP codes? Just go my truck back today from trans shop after a SCIV install. He didn't have tool to reset and charged less since. Boy, drives like crap, won't go into gear without 10 tries, wont go into gear once truck is stopped, have to restart tuck 10 times, hard shifts, flairs, etc. I will hopefully get my EFI live ordered a few days ago in the mail. I'd need to reset ASAP, and can't wait to "learn it" first.

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Any place show in detail how to reset TAP codes? Just go my truck back today from trans shop after a SCIV install. He didn't have tool to reset and charged less since. Boy, drives like crap, won't go into gear without 10 tries, wont go into gear once truck is stopped, have to restart tuck 10 times, hard shifts, flairs, etc. I will hopefully get my EFI live ordered a few days ago in the mail. I'd need to reset ASAP, and can't wait to "learn it" first.

My Tranny done similar antics at first - with PPE St4 - had code for turbine sensor. mechanic didn,t know it had a timed position. fixed that then hooked up PPE handheld - diagnostics - reset trans - been no 1 ever since- just my experience - maybe different to yours.

mick

Try anything
Aug 15, 2006
Are you doing connecting rods? I think I would do some reading around the web and think about it long and hard before unleashing the full potential of that setup without them. Just a thought on case you weren't planning on upgrading them.

Good luck and congrats on the build.

C-ya

Thanks Mitch - I have slowed down abit after Pats episode with Casper. I am waiting on reply from Guy Tripp at the moment on Heads, Cam, Rods(probably Carillo as I had a couple of sets in BB's few years ago), Pistons & Pushrods. I have an 03LB7 complete engine - just about finished building a revolving engine stand for it - then pull the heads off and check bottom end out. Only has 23,000 miles on engine. I'm taking my time a little bit -really waiting to see what success Pat has this time around as I'll be using a similar setup (I think.) Truck is still on the road and still fun with McRat tune so I can take a little time to see what develops with a couple of other big HP/TQ trucks just going and coming up