Inspection in Ma.

JDHiker

Mar 14, 2016
So on an 08 LMM...seeing that it's 9200 GVRW does that get inspected at a regular section station.. and is it plugged in or all visual?? Yeah the typical delete questions that I won't go into.
I just know a few places that I went to that my 03 GMC 2500 HD gasser went to and passed ....easily

Jim - Western Massachusetts

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
They will plug it in I think the computer will look to see if the dpf is there and ready. I think they're supposed to visually inspect for it too

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
If you know someone who would pass you with no emissions, go to that person instead. But be careful. MA is cracking down on inspection stations for passing vehicles with no emissions or illegal tints, too high of a lift, etc. It took me over a year to find someone to pass mine. State police does not care if the truck is lifted or some minor details, it's the MA DOT that's cracking down on inspection stations. So far nearly 75% of the stations got a huge fine and on probation for that. You won't get fined for having a passed sticker with an emission delete, just the inspection station will.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Looks like what was implied by the EPA by cracking down on emissions and adopting CARB standards in 2017 is starting early regarding emissions checks throughout the US and it's going to get more strict.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Looks like what was implied by the EPA by cracking down on emissions and adopting CARB standards in 2017 is starting early regarding emissions checks throughout the US and it's going to get more strict.

It is getting there. MA and CA are the top 2 state for strict emission laws. The problem with MA for vehicle inspection is they are not just focusing on the emissions like AZ does. They go over the entire vehicle by checking front end, suspension, aftermarket performance parts, and safety equipments. Most gassers now will have a hard time using aftermarket mufflers because of a sound level requirement. Basically it cannot be much louder than stock mufflers do. A win win for us to stop the ricers with those annoying fart cans. MA is much more strict on vehicle inspection than AZ is but the emissions is the same as AZ.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Every year for mine;

Stock after I bought it in 2013 4.6%

First tune 6.6%

Second year single 90hp tune 19.0%

Current year DSP5 (finally installed it) stock tune 7.8%

Here is how it goes.............

Shut down the truck in the building tail end partially outside

Open the hood and do a visual on the engine along with a mirror check of the cat

Start the truck and the inspector looks on the dash for a CEL

Governor test, throttle to floor once hold then release, shut down truck.

Opacity test, hook up sniffer tube to exhaust, watch the inspector for directions and throttle up to the governor 3 times as directed

Shut down truck, pay money, pass or fail papers......

Fail=no registration tags for the year

When the system is revamped here and the OBD-II port is used for checks on diesels I'll have to redo some of the readiness monitors via EFI, not looking forward to that and may have it figured out, I think......:rofl:

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
I went to 4 different places to get a sticker. As soon as i would walk in and ask for an inspection the first thing they all would ask is "was that you driving the black pickup? Too loud to pass i wont touch that thing" sounds like a bunch of places have been slapped wih some fines

JDHiker

Mar 14, 2016
I will keep the parts so I can put back to stock "If Needed "..just Sucks ..this whole Emmissions thing

JDHiker

Mar 14, 2016
I really just want to Hog out the DPF and keep in Place...program, No codes...it's still in Place....heat shields in place and covering the weld area...seems like the way to go...for now until I do a straight 5"

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
I really just want to Hog out the DPF and keep in Place...program, No codes...it's still in Place....heat shields in place and covering the weld area...seems like the way to go...for now until I do a straight 5"

You probably can get away with gutting out the dpf and cat while leaving the housing intact. Just make sure it looks like a factory setup, don't cut up any of the pipes. As long it passes the opacity test and no CEL, you should be okay I think.

JDHiker

Mar 14, 2016
You probably can get away with gutting out the dpf and cat while leaving the housing intact. Just make sure it looks like a factory setup, don't cut up any of the pipes. As long it passes the opacity test and no CEL, you should be okay I think.
That's what I'm hoping for....what do they do if they catch you???

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

that is how i have my Jetta TDI, works everywhere :D

the PO on my truck straight piped it and didn't save anything so if i have to go that route i guess i should start looking for one someone else removed and save it :mad:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Every year for mine;

Here is how it goes.............

Shut down the truck in the building tail end partially outside

Open the hood and do a visual on the engine along with a mirror check of the cat

Start the truck and the inspector looks on the dash for a CEL

Governor test, throttle to floor once hold then release, shut down truck.

Opacity test, hook up sniffer tube to exhaust, watch the inspector for directions and throttle up to the governor 3 times as directed

Shut down truck, pay money, pass or fail papers......

Fail=no registration tags for the year

When the system is revamped here and the OBD-II port is used for checks on diesels I'll have to redo some of the readiness monitors via EFI, not looking forward to that and may have it figured out, I think......:rofl:

in california it is essentially the same except:

- didn't see any governor test done, just the snap test

- Opacity test, no sniffer tube. inspector just watched the exhaust while you stab the throttle (snap test). i guess it is the inspector's interpretation of what is too much

- If the truck is OBD compliant then it is always used to check for codes and readiness. if i remember correctly, you can have one monitor not ready and still pass. never had an issue with this one though

JDHiker

Mar 14, 2016
Not too keen on Holding it to the floor....I've heard a few guys complained .not good for a diesel to be Revved like that

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
not a big deal if the rev limiters/governors are set right, plus there is no load on the engine. this is usually no more than a few seconds

now if the engine blows, who is at fault? that is why they have the owner press the throttle

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Here they do the opacity test on rollers. Owner can't be in the area. They drive it up, look around, put the sniffer underneath and run the truck. They hold it at somewhere between 1500-2000 rpm for like 5 minutes and that's it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
That's what I'm hoping for....what do they do if they catch you???

If you get caught by the environmental police, you will get a big fine for running no dpf or cat. But if you gut it and leave the housing intact, they can't prove its been gutted. I wouldn't worry about it, you won't see the environmental police around here. I've never seen one or heard anyone getting caught by them for vehicle related emissions.

Supposedly you won't get fined for driving a passed sticker while the emissions is out, the fine goes to the inspection stations. You won't even know the inspection station got caught. The person will wait for you to leave the vehicle and take a picture of your sticker to track down the station that passed you. I was told by the owner of the station that was on probation, he explained hownit works.