injectors = broken crank ?

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
Maybe because it happens from 500-700 hp like you so intelligently said... well over the stock rated power. That's what I mean by "by design". On top of that I'm sure some engines happen to be built right with a good batch of parts while others may not have been so well put together or had so-so parts... I'm not talking any particular brand. Just like the rest of the vehicle might have quality issues, so too may the engine. It may not show it's fault until you stress it. This is the reason for blueprinting. Now if you are talking strictly stock internals not holding 600, that's a problem. The Dmax block has shown it's breaking point more than once.

The 6.0 PSD is a fine example of design limits. It's not a very good design to be upping the power on. It did fine as the detuned V365 but the power wars took it into it's grave. I have a buddy I sit next to at work that can't wait to unload his sic leaker and he keeps his bone stock.

The Cummins too needs a few things to run in the 500-600 range like head studs and a trans/clutch and a bit more to go higher. But it does hold up better overall with stock internals in the same range as the Dmax without busting up. :D

I will be taking mine in for service soon. I think the front seal is leaking on the motor. Warranty is 7 years, 120,000 on the motor I believe.

I went 436 hp with all stock including the automatic transmission with my 04 Dodge. No problems for about 30,000 miles. I added the bigger turbo, head studs and bigger injectors along with a trans upgrade. I'm now in the 550, 1050tq range. No problems. 83,000 miles. Guy that helped me with my truck dynos 1000 hp and blows the tq off the map with his 05 Dodge.

How come the Ford guys that are giving up on the International engines are putting Cummins in not Dmaxes? I think that it's an easier swap among other reasons.

Ya got me goin Mack

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How come the Ford guys that are giving up on the International engines are putting Cummins in not Dmaxes? I think that it's an easier swap among other reasons.

Ya got me goin Mack

mike if the dmax was the big piece of shit you make it out to be and go around parading, then you would see lots of cummins swaps in [GMT-800/900] GM's too. Yes, you see lots of Fords with a cummins swapped in place of a powerstroke. Whens the last time someone took a duramax out and swapped a cummins in its place. :rolleyes:

I still laugh when I think about how great you thought your 01 was.

btw, 500-700hp? Give me a break. It takes more than 700hp to put a 7,300lb truck in the low 10's. Weak block?? There are a lot more filled and girdled cummins's than dmax's, oh but wait, I forgot, can only make a small fraction of the power that the ctd can make, so excuse me. All kneel down and hail the mighty c. You cant help yourself can you..........

7yrs/120k?Wishful thinking, its 5/100, JUST LIKE everyone else. :eek:

ben

Last edited:

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
mike if the dmax was the big piece of shit you make it out to be and go around parading, then you would see lots of cummins swaps in [GMT-800/900] GM's too. Yes, you see lots of Fords with a cummins swapped in place of a powerstroke. Whens the last time someone took a duramax out and swapped a cummins in its place. :rolleyes:

btw, 500-700hp? Give me a break. It takes more than 700hp to put a 7,300lb truck in the low 10's. Weak block?? There are a lot more filled and girdled cummins's than dmax's, oh but wait, I forgot, can only make a small fraction of the power that the ctd can make, so excuse me. All kneel down and hail the mighty c. You cant help yourself can you..........

ben

I just read my warranty. 7 years and 100,000 on the motor with free 24hr towing to the nearest dealer.

You won't see Cummins swapped into GM trucks because they love their Allison and already have a great motor. I'm not saying I think the Dmax is a bad motor. It just breaks a little easier on the high power end than the Cummins does. Am I wrong about that? And when the Cummins does break it's a hell of a lot easier to work on.

All hail the mighty Cummins :D :hug:

I better back off before I get the boot

Last edited:

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT

ben
when i wanted to buy a cummins it was 5/70k

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
My warranty IS 7-100 on the diesel engine. That's what Chrysler gave me in 2004. If you want I'll scan my warranty book. That was standard in 2003-up for a few years.

It also has the Cummins 5-100 but the original owner gets the 7-100 on the Cummins. I believe they are giving us an piece of the Chrysler warranty added onto the engine. It is very clear in the book. The second and third owners just get the 5-100 unless they paid the $150 transfer fee.

Granted the warrantys offered over the years are different but that's what I got at the time.

I also have the 24hr free towing during the length of the warranty.

To be honest, with the mods it's a pot shot anyway.

Last edited:

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
hmm so it WAS 7/100, but they lowered it to 5/100 now. I guess they are losing faith in the cummins. :p:

That depends on what the definition of "WAS" IS :rofl:

Attachments

• cumminswarranty.jpg
    cumminswarranty.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
My warranty IS 7-100 on the diesel engine. That's what Chrysler gave me in 2004. If you want I'll scan my warranty book. That was standard in 2003-up for a few years.

It also has the Cummins 5-100 but the original owner gets the 7-100 on the Cummins. I believe they are giving us an piece of the Chrysler warranty added onto the engine. It is very clear in the book. The second and third owners just get the 5-100 unless they paid the $150 transfer fee.

Granted the warrantys offered over the years are different but that's what I got at the time.

I also have the 24hr free towing during the length of the warranty.

To be honest, with the mods it's a pot shot anyway.

Why are you selling a warranty Hoot? You have NO warranty period . You are your OWN warranty station. Are you saying that your going to rip off Fiat now? Dodge is the MOST stingy in the market with warranty claims.

Lets get back on topic Broken Cranks or do you want to discuss design flaws in Cummins from Potato Chip trucks 9? to present? :D

Lets talk weak blocks and all the chumps stuck from 98-01 with cracked blocks in the mighty Cummins.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Why are you selling a warranty Hoot? You have NO warranty period . You are your OWN warranty station. Are you saying that your going to rip off Fiat now? Dodge is the MOST stingy in the market with warranty claims.

oh but dont forget, he also has free 24hr roadside towing! :cool:

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
MAC you must not of read my previous post.

"To be honest, with the mods it's a pot shot anyway. "

But yea I agree, lets go back to Broken Cranks:catfight2:

Last edited:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
MAC you must not of read my previous post.

"To be honest, with the mods it's a pot shot anyway. "

But yea I agree, lets go back to Broken Cranks:catfight2:

I read 'pot shot' which means YOU will TRY and get warranty repair. :eek:

If your turned down I assume you'd play the mag game,right? I'm going out on the limb here and saying that since there are NUMEROUS duramax diesels running in the 500/600/800 + range without catastrophic failure with the crank that it's not a issue of design flaw in as you state that that the 6.6 is doomed or blanketed into a engine than cannot with stand high horsepower applications as you described.

The Dmax block has shown it's breaking point more than once.

The huh?

Last edited:

hoot

Aug 5, 2009
Mac I never said it was a design flaw. We know the motor is well designed and puts up with lots of abuse. Mike Tomac and many behind him have proved it. But the limits are there like they are on all engines. I started on this topic because I was looking at all of the buzz about stuff breaking. All I'm saying is there is a point where it becomes expected and I think between the Cummins and the Max one has an advantage. You don't read nearly as much about catastrophic engine failures on the Cummins side until you see 700+ stock and 1000+hp with the modded internals. Again, as I stated earlier, if you are going to try beefing the engine up mechanically it makes a lot more sense to do it to one that's easier to work on because you EXPECT to be working on it.

Does that make sense?

Sure the GM truck has it's advantages. I really liked my GMC. You all know I jumped ship because of a few things.... engine had been ripped apart to do head gaskets and a tree fell on it. I could have simply gotten another one but I wanted to simplify. I was worried at the time. The controversy was fun. In the end I find myself at ease. The truck just plain performs and is reliable. It looks great and is to me a classic 4X4 with a grunt of a diesel.

The good old days..

Falco&LeeSwangersmall.jpg

newsphotomed.JPG

Last edited:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Uh, that big guy is NOT Hoot....I've had the fun of drinking a beer and smoking a nice cigar with Hoot at Mason Dixon dyno events. Hoot looks more like the guy being held. ;)

lol. I dont Hoot from Hoyt, I just know that pic has someone in it who looks like the jolly green giant with a tan. :)