LB7: Injector issues

chrisdefo26

Nov 16, 2014
Hey guys so my 04 lb7 started smoking when sitting at idle for more than 10 minutes and when I would take off white smoke would blow out pretty good for a short period of time until it seemed to clear up only to start smoking again once sitting at idle for more then 10 minutes. All injector rates were between -2 and 2 other than injector 6 which was -7 and injector 8 which was +12. I bought 8 Bosche reman injectors and replaced the driver side first. Once I got them done I fired the truck up just to see how it ran with just the 2, 4, 6, and 8 injectors replaced. All injector balance rates were between -1 and 1 all 8. I took the truck out for a little drive to let it get warm brought it back and let it idle. After about 20 minutes of idling the balance rates for 3 went to -5 injector 5 went to -7 and injector 7 is now at -5 and 8 jumped up to 15. 2,4, and 6 are all between -1 and 1. Now I'm hoping that 1, 3, 5, and 7 are bad and number 8 is just compensating for them. I'm going to change the passenger side injectors this weekend. I just thought it was weird that they read pretty good for a short period of time then freaked out. I also replaced the fuel lines to the injectors.

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
Could it be the fpr sticking maybe. Mine started smoking at idle I put some two stroke oil in it and it cleared it up. Hasn't smoked since.

chrisdefo26

Nov 16, 2014
Possibly but I don't think so. My fuel pressure stays right with commanded fuel pressure at idle. I did notice under WOT I lose fuel pressure and had this problem before swapping injectors I made a thread about it. The fuel pressure dropping under WOT went away out of nowhere. Also I heard a really loud knocking for about maybe 5-6 quick knocks and the sound instantly went away and has not come back.

chrisdefo26

Nov 16, 2014
Also the truck idled fine and drove fine. It did not have that lope at idle that I see most lb7s with bad injectors do. It just starts smoking after idling for a while.