Injector install soon what else should I do

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Hi Guys,

LOOONG time. Finally sac'd up and ordered the injectors, water pump and the CAT filter from LDS (Who were awesome to work with). Just so happens they had a deal on some SAC45s at the time of my order.

Since I don't actually need to drive this truck at the moment I'm just going to work on it little by little till it gets done.

I left off last night with this:
WNI6nWg.png

When going through all the guides none of them show this long tube part , note that i'm not pointing at the pipe but the whole thing its attached to. Does this have to be removed to access the top of the injector lines? If so how best?

Thanks

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Zach pointed out to me that this is some kinda ERG because I live in stupid cali. Googl'd around specifically this is an ERG Cooler. I have these smoggy things bolted on to my engine :(

anyone get away with still getting to the top fuel lines with this crap on it. ?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
When going through all the guides none of them show this long tube part , note that i'm not pointing at the pipe but the whole thing its attached to. Does this have to be removed to access the top of the injector lines? If so how best?
That's the EGR cooler, and I don't recall having to take it off to do injectors. I think you can work around it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I had to remove mine to get the covers off. Was a pain the first time. The nuts and bolts on the back side by the firewall is a b!tch. smothered all of them with never-seize before putting it back together. Didn't have any issues the second time around.

12mm if I remember correctly and 14mm for the front ones

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Yeah, I had to do injectors on my 03. I wouldn't say the process was hard for me but it was time consuming since I was only working on it a couple hours a day. I will say, I am glad I didn't cheap out on injectors. I don't think I would have been too happy about doing the work over again. I also put in a lift pump at the same time. With the lift pump I put in a CAT fuel filter/aftermarket fuel filter head. Man I did love my LB7 though.

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Thats exactly what Im doing. I have the car setup on the side of the house and just working an hour or two every night after work till it gets sorted. The "problem" now is everything I'm tearing out I think i want to replace with a new piece. Hoses , themostat, water pump, plenty of nuts an bolts. I havent tackled the cooler yet but put a bunch of PBlaster on the bolts incase I can't get around it to pull the injector lines.

Yeah, I had to do injectors on my 03. I wouldn't say the process was hard for me but it was time consuming since I was only working on it a couple hours a day. I will say, I am glad I didn't cheap out on injectors. I don't think I would have been too happy about doing the work over again. I also put in a lift pump at the same time. With the lift pump I put in a CAT fuel filter/aftermarket fuel filter head. Man I did love my LB7 though.

Mar 28, 2015
Blue Springs, MO
Thats exactly what Im doing. I have the car setup on the side of the house and just working an hour or two every night after work till it gets sorted. The "problem" now is everything I'm tearing out I think i want to replace with a new piece. Hoses , themostat, water pump, plenty of nuts an bolts. I havent tackled the cooler yet but put a bunch of PBlaster on the bolts incase I can't get around it to pull the injector lines.

Replacing everything that is worn and hard to get to isn't a bad idea!

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Made some progress and found a huge step back. Erg cooler came out thanks to these through wrenches. Made it possible to get leverage on those messed up bolts.

i-LthcHsv-S.jpg

Gross how dirty these things are : (is it normal to be THIS dirty?)
i-CZhKNvt-M.jpg

Also BENT a injector removal tool trying to pull one last injector towards the passenger side firewall. Found this cool youtube trick that works great. Pretty much use an air hammer's various attachment as that is the same size as the hole in the injector hold down tool. Stick in in there and wack it lightly with a hammer and boom came right out.

Worse thing that happened is one of the rear driverside valve cover bolts are frozen. Now it is stripped. last ditch effort to grind off the head so i can pull the top valve cover off as thats the last bolt holding it in .

in your opinions.. so far none of the cups came out . Should I manually remove it (already building a tool to do this)? Or do you guys just leave them in?

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
The ultrasonic cleaner I ordered arrived. I figured I would toss in some fuel lines and see what happens. This thing is cool immediately things started to fizz out the dirt:
i-ckVk65f-M.jpg

Its much cleaner (this about 12 mins of cleaning, LEFT= Cleaned)
i-HN43Brh-M.jpg

I will probably give them a CLR bath anyways it didnt take off everything but it got most of it off.

Last edited:

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Two of us asked if you found the coolant leak for sure ? I couldnt find anything except where you thought it may be the water pump , was that it ? Good luck !

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Two of us asked if you found the coolant leak for sure ? I couldnt find anything except where you thought it may be the water pump , was that it ? Good luck !

I did not find any coolant leak anywhere else when I pulled the covers off.. Nor did I see drippings around the head gasket. Is there anywhere I should focus on looking besides those places?

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
There is an eng coolant cover plate above the starter that is known to leak enough that a few shops on this site make o ringed cover plates for them and I am not saying you cant just put on a new gasket ! But I chose to put the plate on for no good reason , its the nicest looking thing on my eng and you cant even see it . LOL !

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
There is an eng coolant cover plate above the starter that is known to leak enough that a few shops on this site make o ringed cover plates for them and I am not saying you cant just put on a new gasket ! But I chose to put the plate on for no good reason , its the nicest looking thing on my eng and you cant even see it . LOL !

Can you link me to this item. I may as well change it while im down here. Thanks!