Injector install soon what else should I do

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Hi,
Got an 03 w/166k. Of course it just started smoking after I bought it and pretty sure its injector time as I look like a freight train and smell like a gas station.

Been trolling forums for a while but finally signed up. Questions:
1. While I do injectors should I also be doing fuel filter (CAT conver to 2micron)
2. CLR'n all the fuel lines (heard its ok to do this instead of replacing them)
3. Besides the injector kit, is it a good idea to pick up MA's complete kit with the gaskets etc, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks,
K

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Ma kit is the best way to go, and soak the lines over night then rinse with distilled water and dry them out. Cat filter is a good way to go if you haven't access to a lifter pump. A pump is ideal for our trucks it will really help long term. The get a jug of optilube for when it's done and put 8oz every fill up. If you haven't already gotten the sticks spend a little more and get sac style injectors as they will last much longer and run much better, unfortunately you will need an efi tune to run the injectors but the efi will also help performance and efficiency to give you long life, improved drivability, and above all streetability. Kory Willis is the way to go imho if you haven't a preference and don't work on duramax a lot.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, DSP 5 on v2 by Rick Fletes, 33x12.5 nittos at on 20 inch American Racing wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, Custom Y Bridge.

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
I'm a little green what are "sac" injectors? the ones Im looking at (havent purchased are bosh)

Is "optilube" = "dieselKleen" ?

For the lifter pump which one is best value? I was going with CAT because its relatively cheap to convert to that filter. I actually haven't done much research on liftpumps maybe you can give me a little 101 on what it does and why I need it. (I'll google too..)

if I do go with the lifter pump, what efi do I look at?

The main use for this is for light towing in the future and general day to day driving.

thx

Ma kit is the best way to go, and soak the lines over night then rinse with distilled water and dry them out. Cat filter is a good way to go if you haven't access to a lifter pump. A pump is ideal for our trucks it will really help long term. The get a jug of optilube for when it's done and put 8oz every fill up. If you haven't already gotten the sticks spend a little more and get sac style injectors as they will last much longer and run much better, unfortunately you will need an efi tune to run the injectors but the efi will also help performance and efficiency to give you long life, improved drivability, and above all streetability. Kory Willis is the way to go imho if you haven't a preference and don't work on duramax a lot.

2004 Silverado Cali lb7, Airdog ll 165, fresh sticks at 325k, DSP 5 on v2 by Rick Fletes, 33x12.5 nittos at on 20 inch American Racing wheels, modded factory air box, Profab Intake Horn, Batmo Wheel, Turbo port and polish, Full EGR Removed w/ fed belt, 3.5 inch MBRP Downpipe, Full five inch MBRP Exhaust, 10mm lbz cp3 pump, Dual Yellow Top Optimas, High Output Alternator, Cognito Pittman and idler w/ support kit, Cognito Contol arms, Drilled and Slotted Rotors on all four Corners, Custom Y Bridge.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Get your injectors from lincoln diesel. Only place to get them. Contact Lauren or Brent to see what you need for your truck. If you do not plan on EFILive then you need to stay stock size. They can hook you up with a set of cleaned lines as well if you ask. If you do tune I love my ridge runner tunes.

As far as a lift pump, most go fass or air dog. I have a Kennedy lift pump with a cat filter. Very happy with both. I never run any additives thonive toyed around with the idea.

Extended-lbz

Oct 2, 2014
Dont buy cheap injectors, you will be pulling back apart soon. I purchased mine for Lincoln Diesel. I also replaced all the HP fuel lines as I didnt want to chance ruining my $2,000+ injectors. I also went with the CAT 2 micron filter however I added a Fass150 lift pump which is basically a in-line fuel pump with added filtration to keep those new injectors clean. I have had good luck with Fass 150 as well as the new Air Dog 165 4G. Fass is cheaper. Also while you have the truck apart I would pull all 8 injector cups and reseal them as I had a couple cups that didnt pull with injectors but ended up leaking. Last thing you want to do is tear the truck back down to reseal injector cups. Also I would get some extra loctite, I dont remember the PN but napa sells its, its a specific gel type loctite. Injector removal tool might not be a bad idea, I had to build a slide hammer attached to a old injector line as I had a couple injectors that were stuck, I used a rental "blind hole puller" and a variety of contraptions to pull the injector cups. Its not a fun job but if you take your time and just pay attention to everything upon disassembly its not horrible

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
From the top, sacs vs vco are the format of the nozzle. Vco is reg lb7 and the needle in the tip has to seat perfect every time to spray and to close off fuel. Sac however is the new style that has a bottleneck before the needle valve so all the actual pressure is concentrated on to hardened surfaces as oppose to an entire nozzle. Much less exposure and they flow more than the oem type so they don't have to work as hard thus making the last longer still.

All additive are not equal, if you put them on chart, Kleen would be like 3, and optic is 9. The best is biofuel but most people don't have access to it.

Liter pump, I personally have an air dog 2 165 and have run it for 5 years. I burnt one pump in the air dog but the fuel system is closed and as long as there are no leaks you will draw fuel through the pump. I can explain the fuel system later if you don't understand that part. Basically that filterhead with the hand pump makes a vacuum and draws fuel from the tank and supplies it to the cp3. No that is a long way to go for a little hand pump and they fail quiet often. Also or cp3 drinks a lot and the stock vacuum barely gives enough. If you tune it at all then you will need a pump. Also the pump helps maintain even pressure at the cp3 so the cp3 lasts longer and provides the exact pressure to the fuel rails from the lifterpump. The pump pushes fuel into the line so the system is pressurized instead of under a vacuum. Haveing it pressurized makes everything work a little easier. Main providers are air dog or fass. Both are good and both have merit though everyone will say one is better than the other.

Efi, google kory Willis, buy an auto cal from him based on what you decide to install and buy the appropriate setup. He will write specific tunes for your truck and keep everything running well from an electronic programming prospective.

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Thanks for this!

http://lincolndieselspecialties.com/i-23846144-2001-2004-oem-bosch-reman-lb7-fuel-injectors.html << how do I tell if these are sacs or vco? do you have a set your can recommend?

3=kleen .. is 3 good and 10 bad?

I now understand then need for the lifter pump. If I don't plan on running a tune will I get buy with replacing that later?

The reason I'm concerned is that if the current filter barely holds enough vacuum pass fuel to the cp3 then going fro 8 micron to 2 micron .. maybe that will make it have to work even harder. (let me know if my understanding of how it works is off)

From the top, sacs vs vco are the format of the nozzle. Vco is reg lb7 and the needle in the tip has to seat perfect every time to spray and to close off fuel. Sac however is the new style that has a bottleneck before the needle valve so all the actual pressure is concentrated on to hardened surfaces as oppose to an entire nozzle. Much less exposure and they flow more than the oem type so they don't have to work as hard thus making the last longer still.

All additive are not equal, if you put them on chart, Kleen would be like 3, and optic is 9. The best is biofuel but most people don't have access to it.

Liter pump, I personally have an air dog 2 165 and have run it for 5 years. I burnt one pump in the air dog but the fuel system is closed and as long as there are no leaks you will draw fuel through the pump. I can explain the fuel system later if you don't understand that part. Basically that filterhead with the hand pump makes a vacuum and draws fuel from the tank and supplies it to the cp3. No that is a long way to go for a little hand pump and they fail quiet often. Also or cp3 drinks a lot and the stock vacuum barely gives enough. If you tune it at all then you will need a pump. Also the pump helps maintain even pressure at the cp3 so the cp3 lasts longer and provides the exact pressure to the fuel rails from the lifterpump. The pump pushes fuel into the line so the system is pressurized instead of under a vacuum. Haveing it pressurized makes everything work a little easier. Main providers are air dog or fass. Both are good and both have merit though everyone will say one is better than the other.

Efi, google kory Willis, buy an auto cal from him based on what you decide to install and buy the appropriate setup. He will write specific tunes for your truck and keep everything running well from an electronic programming prospective.

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Contacted brent, seems like a pretty good deal.

I'll probably need some kit for the valve cover gaskets too from what I can tell from the various forums.

Get your injectors from lincoln diesel. Only place to get them. Contact Lauren or Brent to see what you need for your truck. If you do not plan on EFILive then you need to stay stock size. They can hook you up with a set of cleaned lines as well if you ask. If you do tune I love my ridge runner tunes.

As far as a lift pump, most go fass or air dog. I have a Kennedy lift pump with a cat filter. Very happy with both. I never run any additives thonive toyed around with the idea.

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Optilube is 9, best imho on the market, kleen... get good at doing injectors

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Find Brent and he will set you up with sac injectors, tell him I sent you.

Kleen, stay away.

You can use a stock filter head with no lifter pump as long as you run a cat filter and no tune. The lifter pumps also have a place for a cat filter or a Baldwin which is just as good, but they also have water/fuel separator filters. Water is enemy number 2 to these injectors right behind fine particles. Don't worry above the higher micron rating as the cp3 is very strong, it will suck your duel through. Just expect to replace a cp3 after 200k as they just get old and need a liter pump as a crutch in old age. The lower the filter rating the beter

aashton1206

Sep 3, 2015
Brent is a good friend, he will take care of you.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
More than glad to help you out here. We have great deals and only sell the best injectors on the market. Thanks again for the recommendations guys!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For the long term, I would recommend the SAC injectors, even though you have to get a tune. If you're on a budget, new Bosch VCO (stock) injectors should serve you well too. Brent@LDS can set you up with either style. I'm running the SAC style from LDS, and I love them.

As for additive, I actually recommend not running any. Additive hasn't been shown to increase injector life, the only thing it has been proven to help with is a failing/sticky FPR (fuel pressure regulator), and the cheap ashless two-stroke oil from Walmart helps just as much (mix 500:1, only use if FPR is surging). But additives are a touchy subject, everyone wants to believe the additive they use is helping / saving them money. If it helped, GM or Bosch would recommend running them. They don't. In fact, GM recommends NOT using additives (see page 50 in the 2015 manual, all years have similar warnings).

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
While you are in there with the valve covers off, adjust all of the valves. It can make the engine run smoother and quieter

chowpay

Jun 13, 2017
Great, I'll take a look at the valves while things are out too.

While I was under the truck I saw the ever so slight weeping of coolant. Doesnt look like a head gasket . I'm thinking its the water pump. I havent had time to pull everything apart just glad I passed smog (Yesss.. it was a windy day and I got so lucky you would not believe)

I don't think this is injector related so im hoping I can work on them separately but during the injector install would it help me at all to do the water pump then or does it not matter since im not removing any parts that would help me get to the pump.

Thanks

joshd472

Oct 10, 2016
While you are in there with the valve covers off, adjust all of the valves. It can make the engine run smoother and quieter

This is great advice. I would also know why it is leaking coolant before I done injectors. You said you don't think it's a HG but I would make damn sure before I torn into it twice. I also recommend LDS.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Brent @ LDS will hook you up right. I did the 45 over SAC injectors with their compressor/cover kit and am more than satisfied. I towed around 9k through the black hills on my 200+ DD tune and was only seeing 1200 max as long as I kept RPMs above 1800. Set the cruise and just felt the truck work.

Like it was stated adjust the lash and it will be quieter, smoother engine. Also if you go with bigger injectors you'll gain a little because with a good tune you'll have less negative torque but to get the most out of them you'll need a bigger turbo. I've also heard that if you port and polish the turbo housing and cover, the stock wheel can really come alive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk