Injector fuel leak

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So I just noticed a nice puddle under the passenger side of my truck that shouldn't be there (And thought I smelled fuel a night or two ago) and upon investigation, I found that #1 & #3 injectors are soaked, as is the passenger side of the block, and fuel is dripping from the 1, 3 & 5 glow plugs as well as the exhaust manifold heat shield. Best I can tell, only the return line (and injectors) seem to be wet. Supply lines seem dry, but it seems fuel has been creeping through the harness to the #5 glow plug.

This seems to have started within the last week or so (possibly during our ice storm this past weekend - Truck hasn't moved in a few weeks). My first guess is that the return line is what is leaking at the two injectors, but barring the return line, is there any possibility that the injectors cracked or something else that I'm not seeing is what's leaking?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Friend of mine had an lly he come in leaking fuel all over. Looked all over the place and thought return lines as well until he had me come over and ramp the rail pressure up for him. It was dry as could be until it crossed 10k psi, then one of the injector feed lines started spraying. The guy had just drove through a rain storm, parked the truck, and came out the next morning to ice. Turned out some water got down in around the top of the line, froze, and split the line itself where it went down through the nut. So I would start it up and ramp rail pressure up and check for leaks just to make certain.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I just ran it and ramped the fuel pressure up to 21k and no signs of any leaks (I imagine at that pressure, even a small leak would be pretty obvious), so it seems most likely to be the returns that decided to start leaking.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So I replaced the return line, and I had two things happen that I've never seen before. First, when I cracked the filter to remove it so I could get to the injector behind it, I got a steady stream of fuel - it was unending until I clamped the supply line to the filter head. The second was when I pulled the #5 return line, I got a steady stream of fuel out of that too. I let it drain into a pan for about a minute and there was no sign of it letting up, so I clamped that too.

So I started replacing it, and broke the nipple for the #7 injector while installing. NApa replaced it, and I went to installing again, got all in except #1 and ended up breaking that one. So I pulled one off the original and carefully as possible, removed the O-Ring from the broken new one and moved it to the old one and put it all together.

Anyway, upon looking again, the reason I broke two nipples on the new return lines is they are designed differently, and IMO, are fundamentally flawed. The OE Tees and elbows have tabs covering the nipples to protect them and give you more surface fir leverage and twisting. The Napa replacement does not have these tabs, so you have to be insanely careful while installing them and have VERY little surface area for you to apply pressure and twist.

I personally would not really recommend the Napa replacements. I showed this to the guy at Napa and maybe he'll pass it along, maybe he won't. If they revise them to be like OE, then they would be acceptable, IMO.

I saved the old OE set though - does anyone make a return 'repair kit' that has new lines and/or O-rings, since unless you break them, the tees and elbows don't generally 'go bad'?

orangereborn

Dec 26, 2016
Injector return lines

So I replaced the return line, and I had two things happen that I've never seen before. First, when I cracked the filter to remove it so I could get to the injector behind it, I got a steady stream of fuel - it was unending until I clamped the supply line to the filter head. The second was when I pulled the #5 return line, I got a steady stream of fuel out of that too. I let it drain into a pan for about a minute and there was no sign of it letting up, so I clamped that too.

So I started replacing it, and broke the nipple for the #7 injector while installing. NApa replaced it, and I went to installing again, got all in except #1 and ended up breaking that one. So I pulled one off the original and carefully as possible, removed the O-Ring from the broken new one and moved it to the old one and put it all together.

Anyway, upon looking again, the reason I broke two nipples on the new return lines is they are designed differently, and IMO, are fundamentally flawed. The OE Tees and elbows have tabs covering the nipples to protect them and give you more surface fir leverage and twisting. The Napa replacement does not have these tabs, so you have to be insanely careful while installing them and have VERY little surface area for you to apply pressure and twist.

I personally would not really recommend the Napa replacements. I showed this to the guy at Napa and maybe he'll pass it along, maybe he won't. If they revise them to be like OE, then they would be acceptable, IMO.

I saved the old OE set though - does anyone make a return 'repair kit' that has new lines and/or O-rings, since unless you break them, the tees and elbows don't generally 'go bad'?
////The last GM one I got had the protective tabs. The replacement from Dorman did not. On the original set the #8 cylinder actually had a metal one. I have taken the tee's/elbow's and reused them as repair replacement items. Usually replace the "O" ring..Yes there are universal kits...Dale

****I am new here and can someone tell me how to find the New Thread button so I can post a question/situation...Obviously I am authorized to post...TIA****

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I had a shit load of trouble with the Dipaco red hoses/yellow fittings they leaked like hell after a few months, the fuel would rot the line. After that fiasco of having to fix it 4 different times I will never mess with aftermarket ones again. One side of the engine had 150,000 mile 12 year stock stuff that I took off when doing head gaskets and reused with no issues, other side brand new Dipaco shit nothing but a headache :mad:.

Last edited:

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

Those are all effectively the same exact thing I got at Napa. IMO, the aftermarket design sucks. WAY too easy to break. Since the OE elbows and tees don't generally go bad, I think a 'service kit' that consists of replacement hose pieces and O-rings would be the ticket.

bbolden516

Jan 21, 2017
Derby Kansas
I honestly took old o rings with and went to Oreilly's auto parts and got the closest o rings that were fuel rated, they were slightly larger as in fatter or thicker, but with a little Vaseline I was able to tap the return lines in and zero leaks so far. :D