LB7: injector cup removal tool

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just how does this tool work?
otc-j-45910.gif
Does it latch onto something on the inside of the cup to pull it out?

Can I make something out of a couple sockets and a threaded rod that would do the same thing?

Last edited:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Not gonna be able to make anything work. The top piece goes inside the cup and when you tighten the bottom nut it has fingers that expand and press against the sides of the cups. Then you slide the bottom piece over the first piece and thread the second nut on and tighten. The bottom piece sits on the head and as you tighten the nut it will pop the cup out of the head.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
when you put it in the cup you tighten the bolt and it tightens on the inside of the cup

ive ghettto rigged a tool but dont recomend it:D it wasnt made from metal either

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
If the head is off the engine u can take a 3/8 ext, an gentle tap it from the deck side, the ext is the perfect size, that my not be the tool of choice for some guys, but it works at 1:30am. :thumb: I alway replace the sleeves anyway..

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Tom cant you jut borrow the tool?

I was afraid you guys were going to tell me that tool had "arms" on it somewhere. Looks like I'll have to take a trip to Eric's tomorrow.

Dino, I tried a slightly-less-than 1/2" dia rod like you describe, and it didnt work. I stopped myself before I screwed up the head or the cup.

Last edited:

White Duramax

Jun 25, 2008
ohio
The tool works good. If you have a dealer that you get parts from they might let you borrow it for a day.:thumb:

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Couldn't you use a threaded bolt with washers and piece of stiff rubber so when you tightened the rubber it would expand outwards pushings against the cup and thus being able to pull it out.

Never had to take one out so not sure how tight they are in there.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Whew. Got the cup out by using a 5/16" deep socket thru the injector hole (just thin enough to clear the head, wide enough to catch the cup edge), and tap, tap, tapping it with a brass mallet.

Learned a valuable lesson, one that I have to keep telling myself....trust my abilities.

Thanks guys for all the help. :hug:

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i bought the tool when i did my cups it was the best $150 i have spent tool wise for these trucks.

i wouldnt recommend trying to build a tool since its such a pain in the ass to redo these cups. the tool is still the cheapest in the long run:thumb:

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
i bought the tool when i did my cups it was the best $150 i have spent tool wise for these trucks.

i wouldnt recommend trying to build a tool since its such a pain in the ass to redo these cups. the tool is still the cheapest in the long run:thumb:

Agreed. This is the best tool I ever borrowed from you.:D

:hug:

403turbo

<--It's whats for dinner!
Aug 3, 2009
DPRNY
If the heads are off it is easy, I did basically what Tom did. I took some measurements and just turned up a piece of 12L but brass would be even safer.

That's the only way I've ever done it, heads have been off, it seems like squishing a rubber stopper would work though. The right tool is critical but $150 seems like a lot.

Merry Christmas to Everyone.

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
It depends on how often you use it. I use mine a lot, so to me it was worth it. I borrowed the dealers tool 4 times before I bought my own. I used it more than they did. The cups are kind of soft though so dont get too bull with ghetto rigged tools.

sootmonster

Feb 15, 2012
parkersburg wv
i bought a generic puller off ebay that seams to work really well, though i never used the Kent-Moore so i guess i really dont have much to compare it to. ive used it one 4 motors so far with no problems. im sure i could have riged up something that would have got the job done but id rather pay a little and get a tool that is made for the job. i think this is the same one i bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/duramax-inj..._Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a19bcd8d7

sootmonster

Feb 15, 2012
parkersburg wv
i didnt pay $75 for mine but thiers a lil more than u think too it , i was actually going to make one but no one could find me all the right pieces i needed , coulda had a machine shop make the parts for it but got tired of messing with it. i allso thought it was just a concret anchor and some pipe untill i got further into it and got the one i bought and saw for myself . though im sure they did use some pipe and an anchor lol, doesnt look to be completly machined from scratch

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I bet they probably got the idea from bullfrog johnson from this forum. Pretty good profit margin at$75 dollars on ebay.

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I bet they probably got the idea from bullfrog johnson from this forum. Pretty good profit margin at$75 dollars on ebay.

I knew I should have put a patent on it:rofl:

Its definitely not rocket science. If my tool and write up helped one person save time and money it was worth alot more than trying to make a killing on ebay. These trucks are expensive enough already to play with.

And for 75 dollars for that tool pictured i would pony up 50 more bucks and buy the real damn thing. It does make me feel good that people are selling my ideas on ebay though:D