In need of some advice from the suspension gods here

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Prince George, BC, Canada
The last 2 years I haven't had time to take my truck to the track. As much fun as it was, I'm thinking of returning to the plans I originally had for my truck before I bought it: lift.

Knowing what I know now about our front ends, 4wd, etc...I'm opting for a 4-6" lift from fabtech, set at 4", ntbd. Originally I was going to do a little modifying to clear a set of 35's. However, a buddy put the bug in my ear to go with some 37's...you know, a set of 16.5" bead locks off a military humvee in a 37x12.5x16.5 variety (tires are cheap). I don't want big wheels, there useless off-road so there's no point.

I've spent the last week trying to find someone who has done this already, and the closest I have found is JWC with his 37's under a stock height/lowered LML. Everything else is jacked up 8" or more and have body lifts to get the 37's to work.

Exactly how much trimming, and what kind offset would I need to clear a 37x12.5 tire with just 4" of lift.

Someone has to have done this, or have some idea of what could make it possible...

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
It can be done with narrow wheels and as much BS as you can find. Your going to have to do a bit of cutting like to the extent of using cutout fender flairs. Not sure what going to happen if ya wheel pretty hard though.

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, was figuring on some bushwackers and custom fender openings.

The reason for 37's is for the extra clearance for the diff. I'm not a crazy wheeler, which is why I'm not looking at an 8" lift. My wife doesn't want a ladder to get in and out lol. Plus, I can keep the cost of tires down looking at 37's from military surplus instead of run of the mill 35's which can be pretty rediculous up here in the north.

I may end up biting the bullet and going with 35's...but damn would 37's ever be rare sight under a truck with just 4" of lift :thumb:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You might have to crank it a little too or trim more and not run any fender flairs. I would like to do 37s with a 4" lift but I know I wouldn't be able to run mud flaps and I dont want to wash my truck every time I drive it. It also might not fit in my garage then.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
With the fabtech lift you NEED to run -12 offset on 9"wheels and -24 on 10"wheels. The nine inch wheels will rub less. You'll need to do a ton of trimming, about 2-3", on the front bumper. Another option is a fabbed winch bumper might not need to trim at all.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
With the fabtech lift you NEED to run -12 offset on 9"wheels and -24 on 10"wheels. The nine inch wheels will rub less. You'll need to do a ton of trimming, about 2-3", on the front bumper. Another option is a fabbed winch bumper might not need to trim at all.

Is that because they are an A arm/diff drop? I was under the impression spindle drops didn't give you the rubbing issues.? The cognito 6" I have now will clear a stock rim as well as my 10" -19.os

Last edited:

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013

I was looking into new bumpers front and rear anyways, so this could work anyways. Just need to trim on the rear of the fenders.

9" and 10" wheels? Lost me there...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
I was looking into new bumpers front and rear anyways, so this could work anyways. Just need to trim on the rear of the fenders.

9" and 10" wheels? Lost me there...

Width

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaJokr

Slum Lord Extraordinaire
Mar 7, 2013
Ooh. I'll need at least a 10" for 12.5 wide tires anyways. I'm pretty set on 17's at this point. I'm a fan of more rubber for off-roading. More wheel is fine if you drive a pavement princess.

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
Is that because they are an A arm/diff drop? I was under the impression spindle drops didn't give you the rubbing issues.? The cognito 6" I have now will clear a stock rim as well as my 10" -19.os

Yes its the A-arm drop. The longer knuckle is what you have to clear.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
John (Defiantarms) had military 37s under his Lly with no lift.. Just torsions raised.. He has pics on here somewhere