Question: I'm Considering a 2003 Silver,Crew Cab

In2Trux

Feb 26, 2010
North Bay, Ont.
I'm looking at buying this 03 Silverado Dmax
2003 2500HD
4X4 crew cab auto. LOADED 153,000

I know it's the early generation engine, I forget which engine it is.
but... I've heard horror stores about the engines.. and I've heard some guys have never had an issue at all.

Question: If I was to buy this ? And I started to notice problems with the performance.
What can I do to this engine to make as good as ... maybe the LLY ???

wdino73

Sep 25, 2009
Versailles, Ky
The engine is LB7, I had 170,000( before the addiction started LOL) I mean HARD WORKING miles with no trouble.
Go to the local GM dealer with the vin# an see if it's had the injector upgrade, if so I wouldn't be scared to buy it, If it's the stock injectors then it's a crap shot, that's the real trouble that I would be concerned about with those engines, The bottom ends are stronger that the LLY's. I'm sure an LLY owner will be able to tell u the differences in the motors, I'm not really up on the LLY. Good Luck

In2Trux

Feb 26, 2010
North Bay, Ont.
Well I think I'm looking at a crap shoot.
I took your advice and was gonna take the VIN# to my dealership to if this truck has had the upgrades. The dealership said the couldn't do it, and to phone the Corp. Headquarters.
The gave me the 1 800 number and HQ said the couldn't give out that information due to the owner privacy act. :mad:

Jduramax

Jul 8, 2009
hampton NB canada
I have an ,02 and love it. One of the best trucks I've owned, and I've owned many makes over the years. Had the injectors replaced under warranty. Other than that no problems. I've pissed off my buddy and his hemi Dodge several times towing our trailers together. When we'd hit a long hill it was "bye-bye hemi".......... If the price is right and it checks out buy it.....you'll like it.....:thumb:

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Happy with my lb7:D For the price difference between it and a lbz you can put in a set of injectors or two:hug:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The engine is LB7, I had 170,000( before the addiction started LOL) I mean HARD WORKING miles with no trouble.
Go to the local GM dealer with the vin# an see if it's had the injector upgrade, if so I wouldn't be scared to buy it, If it's the stock injectors then it's a crap shot, that's the real trouble that I would be concerned about with those engines, The bottom ends are stronger that the LLY's. I'm sure an LLY owner will be able to tell u the differences in the motors, I'm not really up on the LLY. Good Luck

no they are not.... ;)

LB7 and LLY have identical short blocks.

there is NO injector "upgrade" for the LB7's. They all have junk injectors. If the injectors go bad (which they will), when they get replaced, the same junk-style injectors go back in....and then its only a matter of time before those fail too.

other than the injector problems, the LB7's are great engines that are very reliable. Injector replacement jobs can vary in price. I usually charge around 3100-ish, but some places might charge 4000+ to replace a set.

ben

Last edited:

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
305,461 on my 01 LB7 and will still runs harder than every ford or dodge in our small town, and it's only had 2 inj and cups changed(that's what i was told when i bought it about the inj, and i def. trust the guy)

Last edited:

merlin5577

Diesel = Greatness
Jun 29, 2009
Taunton, MA
www.thedieselgarage.com
there is NO injector "upgrade" for the LB7's. They all have junk injectors. If the injectors go bad (which they will), when they get replaced, the same junk-style injectors go back in....and then its only a matter of time before those fail too.

Pretty strong words considering the number of people who have had no trouble at all with their trucks....

Glenn, 109K on mine with NO trouble at all.