If you HAD to choose??

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Just because your two motors didn't break cranks doesn't mean there isn't an issue. If you drove drunk all the time but never crashed would you think DUIs were just hype?

I would assume he lives in the latest, coolest version of a sanctuary city. Where even fewer laws are enforced. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I hate when anyone says I've done "this" and it's still running fine... That's the most ignorant Comment on the internet.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Chris has his own theory just like many like to believe the af cam theory keeping cranks together.

If it works for him, cool!

He doesn't have to agree with everyone ya know lol.

Higher rpm and less torque down low is a viable theory in keeping his alive though there is a lot of rotating mass down there still

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I wouldn't choose. I just wouldn't do the build till I could have both. Otherwise you are rolling the dice. Do it right, do it once (hopefully).

I don't care what anyone says, the evidence points towards harmonics and the af has proven to reduce these so as far as I'm concerned, if you aren't building for 800 plus hp, af cam, LML crank, good balance job, done deal.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
If we're talking about saving up to fix it right, then I'd just save up for a Callie's or a Bryant crank. And I'd still skip the AF cam.

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Just curious , has an internal neutral balance been found to hold up any longer under abuse on these engs ? Please dont jump all over me , Im sensitive . LOL !

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
If we're talking about saving up to fix it right, then I'd just save up for a Callie's or a Bryant crank. And I'd still skip the AF cam.

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, this seems to be a touchy subject. But why skip an AF cam? Regardless of whether it helps the crank or not, the one thing I don't think anyone can deny is they run smoother and with competition in the market now, price wise they aren't a whole lot different from a standard fire. I guess I don't really see a downside. Swapping a couple pins around in the harness is no big deal. I guess I wouldn't buy one just to have an AF cam if I had no intention of putting a cam in to begin with but if a cam is on your shopping list I don't know why someone would skip an AF cam.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Just curious , has an internal neutral balance been found to hold up any longer under abuse on these engs ? Please dont jump all over me , Im sensitive . LOL !

they have broke as well if you are talking about standard rod journals.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
You can make pretty good power on a new lb7 crank and af cam. I have almost 2 years on mine. It seems like the aftermarket cranks break also.....