Idle haze .. Help please

Duramax?

Oct 24, 2011
Detroit MI
Well iv read and read and heard bunch of stories.. Injectors were done about 100k ago. So at a idle iv noticed hazing a few months ago.. Thought it was only at running temp but it's hard to tell now with it being -0 outside .. But truck idles perfect, fuel milage seems the exact same.. I do have a banks fuel saver programmer and if I turn it up truck still blows black smoke (if that helps to know) but I run Amsoil additives for years now, I put fuel filter from wix while ago in fact not sure if that could be the issue.. (Should i change it) truck isn't a everyday truck.. I just ordered more additives from Amsoil with there centane booster was told to maybe put a full bottle of the fuel additive and full bottle of centane booster to try and brake free stuck injecter "if that's what it is?" Would that hurt if I did? Thanks and greatly appreciate any reply back!!

Cody

Minnesota DMAX

Jan 11, 2015
I also have a lb7, 230,000 miles, no smoke or haze at idle but when accelerating it smokes black very lightly. Even lightly accelerating on the highway to pass.I have no idea I've done all maintenance also.probably injectors.I have no I idea how to check if they were ever done. We probably have the same issues. Injectors...

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Have you checked your oil to makes sure your motor isn't making oil? Meaning, the injector bodies are cracked and leaking diesel into your crack case.
Does it start any harder in the morning when cold?
I'd take the banks off, get it up to operating temperature, then check your injector balance rates, that will be a good thing to start with.

Read this post to see the correct way to check you balance rates.
LB7 Balance Rates

Yellowchevy

Duramax?

Oct 24, 2011
Detroit MI
No oil being made or do I smell it I checked fir that awhile ago. I will check again.. As of cold starts I say it's the same.. Do you think the full bottles of additives are gonna help or hurt? Thanks for your input!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
If you are trying to "clean the injectors" gm makes a cleaner for that, you have to disconnect the fuel feed lines and feedvit in that way and let it idle for an hour or so. Its called gm upper engine and fuel injector cleaner. Part # x66p in a bottle. There is also a writeup here somewhere on how to do it.
Try that first and if it doesnt help try running with no additive for a tank or two and see what happens. And ditch the programmer and put it back to stock. All you can do is change the variables until you get the results you want.

Last edited:

Duramax?

Oct 24, 2011
Detroit MI
If you are trying to "clean the injectors" gm makes a cleaner for that, you have to disconnect the fuel feed lines and feedvit in that way and let it idle for an hour or so. Its called gm upper engine and fuel injector cleaner. Part # x66p in a bottle. There is also a writeup here somewhere on how to do it.
Try that first and if it doesnt help try running with no additive for a tank or two and see what happens. And ditch the programmer and put it back to stock. All you can do is change the variables until you get the results you want.

Thanks brother will put that on the to do list soon as weather brakes! Appreciate the info!