LBZ: Identifying Non-GM Calibration Usages

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
Can someone verify if this TSB is good for ALL LBZ vintage engines?
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6340

I've read that this was possible for the LMM but NOT for any previous vintage engine. But this TSB says that it applies to LLY and LBZ as well. :confused:

Did they make a change in the LBZ O/S to be able to do this? Is there a build date or VIN breakpoint where they began to be able to see this information on an LBZ?

If this is true, can you re-flash the stock calibration 10 times and fill up all the previous programming events?

Thanks.

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
From what I've read the LMM is the only one "blessed" with this little bundle of joy.

I hope I'm right...
If you go to the link I posted above, you will see the GM bulleting instructing the dealers how to check the LLY and LBZ ECM for traces of non-GM cals.

redws6rocket

Apr 22, 2007
Odessa, MO
to be honest no names but we had a truck at our dealer that had a ppe box in it, the front main bearing got knocked out of it. we had to check the calibration list and as long as the truck was set back to stock we could not tell.

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
to be honest no names but we had a truck at our dealer that had a ppe box in it, the front main bearing got knocked out of it. we had to check the calibration list and as long as the truck was set back to stock we could not tell.
What year truck was it?

Was it an LLY, LBZ or LMM?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
if you guys are that worried about it, buy a second ECM, or leave your truck stock. Its that simple. I hate it when all these clowns blow their crap up and then go to the dealer with their tail between their legs asking for it to be warrantied.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There is huge problem with that TSB. It appears that if you get a Tech2 Update reflash, it will say your truck has an aftermarket tune in it.

I did a Tech2 100% (swap ecm) reflash on a 2005 LLY computer, and that TSB indicated it was a non-stock calibration for ALL segments.

GM does not have the right to do "blanket" warranty nullification based on that TSB but they are indeed using it.

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
There is huge problem with that TSB. It appears that if you get a Tech2 Update reflash, it will say your truck has an aftermarket tune in it.

I did a Tech2 100% (swap ecm) reflash on a 2005 LLY computer, and that TSB indicated it was a non-stock calibration for ALL segments.

GM does not have the right to do "blanket" warranty nullification based on that TSB but they are indeed using it.
This is scary...

Was that a "virgin stock" truck before you reflashed it with the Tech2?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No, the ECM had been flashed before. I did a Tech2 "replace ECM" flash that in theory is a 100% rewrite.

So I need an ECM that has never been flashed even by GM to verify. Not willing to pay $600 to prove a point though.

RayMich

Jun 1, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yeah, I can understand not wanting to shell out that kind of money if you are not directly affected by this.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, all the CVN's changed after you reflashed the ECM with a Tech2 using the same cals. Did you happen to check the CVN's before you reflashed it? Do you remember if they matched what GM claims they should be prior to the reflash?

From what you are saying, it sounds like ANY reflash will cause a change in the numbers. If this can be positively verified, it will put a big hole in GM's policy.

You would need a virgin ECM and verify that all the CVN's match what GM says they should be before reflashing it. Then reflash it with known OEM cals that have been downloaded directly from GM. Then read all the CVN's again.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's the weird thing.

I do a Tech2 "New ECM" then check the CVN codes with the Tech2 per the bulletin. None match.

I now flash a EFILive 800HP race tune in it. The CVN's don't change.

I return to stock with EFILive. No change again.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
When you do a New ECM flash with a Tech2, as far as I know, you must do the updates, you get no choice. I updated Casper even though I didn't want to, just to find out what was up.