I have seen the impossible!

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I'm sorry, but there is no way I'd trade a LB7 ECM for LLY ECM. I don't know how much has changed since my LLY days, but they were always under performers.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
??? That's what I'm saying lol. Back in the day, a tuned lb7 would wax a tuned LLY every time. I'm talking efi live here. Tuning the lb7 is much easier. Don't matter cause I got rid of that turd LLY anyways.

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
??? That's what I'm saying lol. Back in the day, a tuned lb7 would wax a tuned LLY every time. I'm talking efi live here. Tuning the lb7 is much easier. Don't matter cause I got rid of that turd LLY anyways.

I would guess most people, such as myself, don't care about tuning difficulty because we pay for it to be done by those who have forgotten more about it than we will ever know.

Turd lly's have run 10s and gone 197mph on the lakebed...

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I would guess most people, such as myself, don't care about tuning difficulty because we pay for it to be done by those who have forgotten more about it than we will ever know.

Turd lly's have run 10s and gone 197mph on the lakebed...

I've been here since the beginning man..... Although I did take a break for a few years.

Casper was one of few lol. And btw it's a lbz now...

My LLY always had a ghost in it. Pulled fuel, never could figure it out. All Loy's did it at that time(2005-2006) don't know if there was ever a solution found, don't give a damn either. I know mod for mod my lb7 will out run my (and most likely any) LLY period. MOD for MOD. I sold my lilly and will never own another one. I'll replace injectors every 7 years;)

Calgary

Jul 16, 2012
Calgary AB
So after pushing the truck for a year and a long trip I thought I'd give and update. The truck seems to run reasonably well. Idaho Rob did an amazing job tuning it. It still has a few glitches here and there but at least it functions. As far as tuning it is a bit noisy at 1800 -2400 rpm but this again is really minor considering the nightmare this truck is to tune.
With this setup it feels really well powered for towing and the fuel economy is as good as it gets. I'm getting 14+ mpg towing a 8000 lb trailer and 20 mpg city driving. I have not driven a lot of empty highway but from what I have it's been really impressive. I won't post those numbers till I have some accuracy there.

The main issue I am having now after the last trip, is hot starting problems. It always took at least 2 seconds of cranking cold but now after it's hot I have to use starting fluid to get it going. And the other is my truck will throw a u1000 code after a long hill climb. I know this is prolly not directly related to the tune but more so with the swap and possibly an air leak in the injection system.

GMcKenzie

May 21, 2014
Calgary. You swapped in the complete LLY into you 01, correct?

Is there a reason you did this vs. doing the head swap?

And who did your tuning?

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Ive also done this swap and did my own tuning for the customer who brought it to me. it was a bastard to tune but now that I've done it the next one would be easier. so far it has been running good for close to 6 months now and also getting good MPG.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
Nothing wrong with a tiny bit of starting fluid. Like anything knowing what your doing and using caution plays a big part.

timmey

Jan 4, 2015
I'm Doing a similar swap. I wanted to ask a couple of questions for hawk355. Did you use the LLY fuel pressure sensor? Did you make any changes to the fuel pressure? how much timing did you change? if you can PM me I would really appreciate it.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I'm Doing a similar swap. I wanted to ask a couple of questions for hawk355. Did you use the LLY fuel pressure sensor? Did you make any changes to the fuel pressure? how much timing did you change? if you can PM me I would really appreciate it.

I don't think he is going to answer. Hasn't been on in 2-1/2 years. A good person to talk to about this, is Russ at RPM Motorsports. He has done many of these.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon

LLY Fuel pressure sensor, lengthen the harness to reach the new sensor location, and you use the harness from the LB7 and mod the under valve cover harness and put the LLY ends on them to connect to the lly injectors. No changes to the fuel pressure. Timing and pulse width is needed to make it run right. and some other things but those need to be done by road testing the truck and seeing how it runs and acts and sounds.

Last edited:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
also the one i did was acali emission truck so i had to delete the egr and mod the bridge and weld the port shut for the egrto be able to use the LB7 bridge due to the LLY bridge not working with the LB7 turbo mouthpiece.

JDPlowboy

Feb 6, 2011
I wanted to stop by with my new findings with the 02 hybrid conversion. This winter I did the original lly conversion, with a lot of help from this thread. The truck ran "ok" had lots of rattle and was a bear to drive, but made 511hp on dyno and ran out ok... Well after my wife wrecked her 2.5 truck. I decided I'd start playing with this 02 dually. So Monday I got a wild hair and pulled cab and swapped in a set of lbz heads I had on shelf, Tuesday put in some 60% over LMM 6 holes, and a dual fueler kit. Initial start up I noticed an immediate difference in engine noise and how it ran. It sounded and idled like stock lb7!.... Took it to dan clarkes place and we dyno tuned it. He was able to actually able to trash my tune that I worked on for a solid week to make the old setup to work. Copied over stock lly tables and started dyno tuning. Each tune would gain us 30 more hp it seemed. Ended up with 630/1100 the stock ihi was out of breath. Sorry for the rambling. Got an 8hr drive ahead of me. But my point is. Lb7 ficm/ECM will drive LMM injectors like there's nothing funky going on! I officially have parts from 01-15 engine models all stuffed into one engine. Lol

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Yes it does. But that's squeezing everything out of a stock housing. Did you dyno before to see how generous the dyno is?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk