I Hate Hail!!

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
I know words dont grow crops, but man tough deal, I feel ya, sorry for the troubles out that way.

remember what E.M. Tiffany wrote for us:

"in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years."

Last edited:

hhhsharps

May 24, 2008
Boy...that is really rough. In my younger years I managed a 1000 acre farm. Primary was corn, rotated w/ wheat and barley. The pics you posted makes all the residue look like a no-till operation. I think 2nd crop beans is a good idea. Best of luck.

TwoTone

Mmm tits
Apr 30, 2008
They're out west in Wheatland Wyo. About 250mi west of me.

Sorry to see that. I didn't relize you had been hit that hard in the eastern part of the state.

Yup. Its been a pretty crazy spring. Those tornado warning were all on the same day and so were about 12 or so thunderstoms. On the plus side I cultivated our remaining beet field and a shit load of corn today and its finally looking good. There was a small spot in the beets that got hailed a bit the other day though

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Thanks again guys! I just got done replanting everything this evening....well for the most part. We have some other washouts and water holes that need re-planted, but most of them are still under water.
Right now the ones being the biggest sticklers are Cargill. I dont have much good to say about them anyway, but they are pretty much un-willing to work with a person on something like this. I dont know if I'll be able to fill my grain contracts already made and they will apply a "substantial penalty" to any undelivered grain. Bastards!

It really has been a strange year for weather though. Even last winter was pretty mean.

What's everyones opinions on paintless dent removal? Thats what the adjuster wants to do on the wife's truck....

brewmax

Aug 6, 2006
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE HAIL, I GOT SOME ABOUT 10 DAYS AGO. JUST ENOUGH TO SCREW SOME COTTON UP BAD, BUT NOT BAD ENOUGH TO GET ZEROED OUT BY THE INS. MAN. BASTARDS ARE ALWAYS TRYING TO TELL YOU ITS NOT REALLY HURT THAT BAD----WTF ARE YOU SMOKING:eek:

TwoTone

Mmm tits
Apr 30, 2008
What's everyones opinions on paintless dent removal? Thats what the adjuster wants to do on the wife's truck....

if it works at first you would think its great. But soon after when your paint chips and falls off you would regret it

Jun 22, 2008
Nebraska
That's what our adjust said 2yrs ago about 2 of our D-Max's when they got hailed. The body shop laughed when I told them the adjuster thought they should do paintless. They fixed it right and sent the insurance a bill for $11,000 :rofl::rofl:.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
if it works at first you would think its great. But soon after when your paint chips and falls off you would regret it

Thats what I figured would happen. We were thinking about just taking the check and running. We planned to trade it off this winter anyway--let someone else worry about it. BUT, if paintless is useless we should be going after the ins. company for more money!

Like brewmax said, they are always gonna try to screw theier way out of paying you! Get hail on soybeans and they say it is doing you a favor!

aggar

Still Learnin!
Mar 9, 2008
Kirklin, IN
Is the growing point gone on the corn or were you lucky enough for it to be below ground or at ground level? If it didn't get the growing point, couldn't you let it grow and and get off what you can and take the insurance money and just feed it some good fungicides when it tassels??? Just a thought to help recoup some of the inputs.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
Most of the growing points were just above ground. What didnt get pounded off got frozen. The plants that still looked like they might have survived started turning brown on the inside a couple of days later. I was suprised how much of it looked like it tried to come back out of it, but when you go and walk through it there is at least 50% dead and gone and then on 1/2 of the ones left the leaves are so tied up together its going to die anyway.

hhhsharps

May 24, 2008
Thanks again guys! I just got done replanting everything this evening....well for the most part. We have some other washouts and water holes that need re-planted, but most of them are still under water.
Right now the ones being the biggest sticklers are Cargill. I dont have much good to say about them anyway, but they are pretty much un-willing to work with a person on something like this. I dont know if I'll be able to fill my grain contracts already made and they will apply a "substantial penalty" to any undelivered grain. Bastards!

It really has been a strange year for weather though. Even last winter was pretty mean.

Damn Cargill.....I can't stand those pricks. Several years ago we had two really short seasons in a row, Cargill wouldn't budge. Everyone was affected. The answer we came up with was to entice a gypo contractor to come in and pop a dozen steel bins next to a rail head w/ a small elevator.....long story short, nobody local sells to them and they had to turn their facility into a distribution center....HA...sucks to be them.:D