LB7: I bought a lb7...

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
So I just bought a GMC Sierra 2500hd lb7
It has 180,000 miles on it. What do you guys suggest I should do it has a k&n intake but I don't really think that is good for it should I change it? Any other things I should change on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Full service of all the fluids and filters. Ck balance rates on injectors and cp3 health. 50-100 hp tune, ditch the k&n if your driving in dusty conditions (stock air box supports over 500hp), 4” exhaust or stock is fine, boost and egt gauges, boost valve for stock waste gate.

If your power hungry start saving for a built transmission, 4500-5500 bucks.

Injectors will always be an issue on the lb7. Always be prepared to change all 8. Good Bosch remans will go 100k give or take. The new SAC style lb7 injectors should last longer but haven’t been out long enough to prove or disprove that theory. 2500 for injectors and the labor if you can’t do them yourself.

That’s my starter list. Is it a Cali emissions lb7?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
dallas
I'm not big on the fass pump. To much money and I don't like how it constantly cycles fuel threw the filler neck. I run Kennedy pumps and a cat pre filter 1r0750

I left mine stock had plenty of power for me. My lbz had the cat and muffler cut off. Love the sound. I would recommend that. But you shouldn't have a cat unless it's a stupid cali truck

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
I don't have a cat. So I assume it's not a California emissions truck. Right now I cut the muffler off so it is straight piped eventually I would like to get a 4" straight pipe. But I want to get the engine codes fixed first the codes that show are a p0087 low fuel rail pressure. What would be the best way to diagnose that? I also have a overboost code also wondering how to fix that? Thanks in advance

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Start with codes first next time. No sense messing with anything else until those are repaired.

Is the truck tuned? To much pulse with no lift pump can cause p0087. More than likely it’s bad injectors or weak cp3.

Overboost, is the truck tuned? Is the turbo and waste gate stock?

dcpjfs432

Apr 14, 2018
Start with codes first next time. No sense messing with anything else until those are repaired.

Is the truck tuned? To much pulse with no lift pump can cause p0087. More than likely it’s bad injectors or weak cp3.

Overboost, is the truck tuned? Is the turbo and waste gate stock?

No the truck is not tuned I don't know if it was before me. the guy who owned it before ran a shop so he kept up on the maintenance but I bought it at a auction for $1900 so I knew it would need some work possibly injectors. I'm not sure if the turbo is stock.