Hub centric rings?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
dually are hub.. srw are nut centric you will not find a rim that can be both

Correct from what I've seen!

My aftermarket dually wheels are lug centric. It rides like crap. Even had the wheels replaced. Stock wheels smooth as silk. Waiting on my custom hub centric rings now. I'll report back how they are.

I didn't find that when I ran aftermarket wheels!

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
The factory wheels off my truck are hub centric and have tapered lug nuts making them lug centric also.

I believe it is this way because BOTH axles for the 2500 and 3500 are basically the same. The 3500 DUAL wheel trucks having a larger spring pack and the dually adapters.

The 2500 are designed to be stud centering or lug nut and dual wheel trucks are hub centering!

Make sense?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
factory wheels on all 1500, 2500, 2500HD SRW GM trucks from 99 on up had hub AND lug centric wheels combined. yes you can have both and yes it will provide the best ride.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
How will it provide the best ride? Once there centered, they are centered. You can kick a dead guy and make him more dead lol

you are right but lug centric only doesnt mean you put the wheel on dead perfect and wont have any out-of-round to it. make it hub centric as well and now you have the hub making sure when the lugs go on and are torqued, it stays where it should be.

you guys might think the movement there is insignificant and on a new wheel, it is but, over years of tire changes, rotations, incorrect lug torque, ect, that hub centric design becomes important to ride and centering the wheel. Not to mention, in an aftermarket application, if they use both it shows they have invested some time to make sure these wheels stay true once torqued down.

was around when discount did test on these setups on our trucks and a few others due to ride complaints with aftermarket wheels yet when the stock wheels were used, they rode like glass. the study showed just how crappy some aftermarket wheels are made. you get what you pay for thats for sure :D

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
I will agree that it is stronger. But I'm not so sure it's needed. Maybe for some people. But I am fine without it. To each his own, I do only do what I feel is nessacery for me. That's spelled wrong I know lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I will agree that it is stronger. But I'm not so sure it's needed. Maybe for some people. But I am fine without it. To each his own, I do only do what I feel is nessacery for me. That's spelled wrong I know lol

lol everyone here started getting all technical about it and how its "only one way or the other, cant be both". i just stated yes it can and any stock wheel will prove that.

do you absolutely have to have both? hell no. i dont even have hub + lug centeric wheels on my rig. for most guys out there, lug centric aftermarket wheels will be just fine.

on a side note, using factory lug nuts off a 1500/2500/hd srw on a aftermarket wheel not designed for them is a BAD idea. the taper of the stock lugs is not the same as the aftermarket lugs that goes with the aftermarket wheels (both steel and aluminum) unless the wheels was specifically designed for them. if you throw caution to the wind and do it any how, the lugs wont torque properly and can come loose very easy. We had a few "wheel offs" at discount because guys at other stores did it to save customers money. well, it didnt save the company anything thats for sure lol.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Hub centric IMO is far better then lug ! Or should say more precise. Here's a FYI on my dually rear the inside tire was HUB centric and the out bound was lug centric ONLY!

So now what cha got to say? :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Hub centric IMO is far better then lug ! Or should say more precise. Here's a FYI on my dually rear the inside tire was HUB centric and the out bound was lug centric ONLY!

yeah but you cant make hub centric look pretty without caps, plus teh added cost to make them and everyone wants cool guy bling bling now-a-days ya old fart :D :hug:

EDIT: when the hell did you become a mod Mackin?? i gots to leave this place now......... damn

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida

Mine is the same, it's my front wheels. It was so far out with the first set & no rings it broke the studs. With the plastic rings it doesn't break the studs but rides like ass