HTT downpipe flange is oval

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I just finished building a motor for a customer with an HTT 366/billet wheel.

First of all, I wasnt that impressed with the HTT install kit. The oil drain tube spacer was too short and didnt line up correctly (yes, I tried both LB7 and LLY/LBZ/LMM oil drain tubes), they shorted me an oil drain gasket, they shorted me 2 studs, and it was the biggest PITA assembling the whole thing. I honestly could have taken a stock turbo off, and put it back on in the time it took me to just put the HTT on.

And then the oil feed line was about a foot too long so I had to do some funky routing so it doesnt look completely stupid.

Finally...the downpipe flange...is oval! It wasnt crushed in shipping or otherwise "damaged looking"...it just simply looks like it was manufactured to be an oval instead of round. Obviously it doesnt fit. Has anyone had a problem like this?

I tried contacting HTT but never got anywhere with that.

There is a possibility Im completely stupid and missing something?

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
I received 2 of every gasket and stud with my kit....except the oil drain to block gasket. But I had a couple of hand so it was a tradeoff.:rolleyes:

I had to take a grinder to the pedestal to get the oil drain to fit. When I swapped turbos I got rid of the junk oe line and adapter.

Mine downpipe flange was not oval though. Thats very strange indeed. However, the downpipe was very weird and wouldn't mate to my MBRP exhaust. It was like the ID wasn't stretched enough and just wouldn't slip on it. Maybe it was oval down there and I just didn't see it.

Overall had a bad experience with HTT and will probably never buy from them again.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Here is the downpipe. It is quite strange looking.

I could understand it, if it looked like it was "damaged" by some external means (crushed in shipping, some idiot at HTT dropped it off the shelf, etc), but there are no kinks or bends or anything like that....it was just made oval instead of circular...WTF

And, the downpipe looks like its going to be 99% impossible to fit with a standard passenger-side tranny dipstick. The stupid thing is huge. Its going to take either some severe bending of the trans dipstick, or im going to have to steam-roller the downpipe....

Attachments

• IMG-20120609-00040.jpg
    IMG-20120609-00040.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 118

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Here is the downpipe. It is quite strange looking.

I could understand it, if it looked like it was "damaged" by some external means (crushed in shipping, some idiot at HTT dropped it off the shelf, etc), but there are no kinks or bends or anything like that....it was just made oval instead of circular...WTF

And, the downpipe looks like its going to be 99% impossible to fit with a standard passenger-side tranny dipstick. The stupid thing is huge. Its going to take either some severe bending of the trans dipstick, or im going to have to steam-roller the downpipe....

Yeah that is very strange....almost like it got too hot and warped.

Yes you will need a drivers side trans tube. I managed to get mine in without beating the hell out of the firewall, but after 2 days of hearing the rattling from the tube being pushed against the firewall I cut it off at the trans and taped it off til my drivers side one showed up.

They should really include the drivers side tube like the BD, but no....

Everything with the kit screamed, I'm making it as cheap as possible so I can pocket more money.

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
Oh man...I've seen htt dodge manifolds that don't exactly fit and turbo exhaust housings that aren't exactly 3" inches.... They are hard to work with too! Ihad forgotten how crappy their product is! Another one added to my list

ATS, industrial injection, and now htt

Polaris7x

Dec 25, 2011
loves park, ill
youve got to put the drivers side dipstick on when you put the downpipe on due to it hitting, kinda sounds like everyone has some issues when getting the install kits for these turbos, i was sent a kit for an lb7 when clearly a z looks like a 7 when you order it!

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
HTT shorted me studs for pedistal when I bought one for my LBZ. Overnighted me, and luckily didnt have any further issues.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I was short the pedestal studs and oil line fitting washer. HTT is difficult to deal with. They can't seem to have a answer for anything. Don't have the turbos and don't know when they will have it is what I have been told too much.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I just finished building a motor for a customer with an HTT 366/billet wheel.

First of all, I wasnt that impressed with the HTT install kit. The oil drain tube spacer was too short and didnt line up correctly (yes, I tried both LB7 and LLY/LBZ/LMM oil drain tubes), they shorted me an oil drain gasket, they shorted me 2 studs, and it was the biggest PITA assembling the whole thing. I honestly could have taken a stock turbo off, and put it back on in the time it took me to just put the HTT on.

And then the oil feed line was about a foot too long so I had to do some funky routing so it doesnt look completely stupid.

Finally...the downpipe flange...is oval! It wasnt crushed in shipping or otherwise "damaged looking"...it just simply looks like it was manufactured to be an oval instead of round. Obviously it doesnt fit. Has anyone had a problem like this?

I tried contacting HTT but never got anywhere with that.

There is a possibility Im completely stupid and missing something?

Good luck on that one Ben. We gave up after they kept having issues. John came and had dinner one night we ordered his kit. Then we waited and waited for it to come in. The said it was the stainless housing not in stock then once in stock the one they had was screwed up. John called and email and I also burned them up the day we were going to cancell they said they were shipping. After his kit it was not the turbos every install kit we ordered was missing parts or they shipped the wrong one out the person. Then they would get pissed when you called and said something about the issue.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Alright well at least I feel a little better that its not just me.

So I guess Ill kiss off any chance of getting a new downpipe from HTT...does anyone have any ideas of where the best place to get a similar downpipe that would work with an HTT S300-based kit?

This "oval" downpipe is too far out to really fix it/bend it back and ensure a good seal. And the geometry of the way the flange was welded on in the first place would make it close to impossible to bend back properly.

I really wish I had known about the dipstick tube issue too. Im not going to throw anyone particular under the bus, but someone who is knowledgeable about aftermarket turbo kits told me a driver side dipstick wasnt needed at all....now I find out from this thread that, in reality, it is. Would have been nice to know the truth BEFORE I put the motor in the truck. :rolleyes:

Quickest place to get a driver side dipstick? Ive had the truck together and driving around the driveway for almost 2 weeks, everything else is done, just trying to figure out the downpipe issue. Its frustrating to not hear back from HTT and have to come online and find out that I should have just gone a different route 2 weeks ago...because the truck would have been completely done by now. Im a "twins guy"; I rarely do anything with single turbo kits, so im just confused what to do here.

Ben

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
My drain was too short as well, I agree the HTT kit was pretty cheesy, yeah I wish I was told I needed a dipstick as well, now I have 2 plugs in my trans, I have a dipstick to put in now but if I didn't have an extra plug I would have been out of luck.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Alright well at least I feel a little better that its not just me.

So I guess Ill kiss off any chance of getting a new downpipe from HTT...does anyone have any ideas of where the best place to get a similar downpipe that would work with an HTT S300-based kit?

This "oval" downpipe is too far out to really fix it/bend it back and ensure a good seal. And the geometry of the way the flange was welded on in the first place would make it close to impossible to bend back properly.

I really wish I had known about the dipstick tube issue too. Im not going to throw anyone particular under the bus, but someone who is knowledgeable about aftermarket turbo kits told me a driver side dipstick wasnt needed at all....now I find out from this thread that, in reality, it is. Would have been nice to know the truth BEFORE I put the motor in the truck. :rolleyes:

Quickest place to get a driver side dipstick? Ive had the truck together and driving around the driveway for almost 2 weeks, everything else is done, just trying to figure out the downpipe issue. Its frustrating to not hear back from HTT and have to come online and find out that I should have just gone a different route 2 weeks ago...because the truck would have been completely done by now. Im a "twins guy"; I rarely do anything with single turbo kits, so im just confused what to do here.

Ben

I know Henry eventually switched from the HTT install kit to the BD kit, as it comes with slightly smaller Downpipe and their drivers side trans tube.

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
My drain was too short as well, I agree the HTT kit was pretty cheesy, yeah I wish I was told I needed a dipstick as well, now I have 2 plugs in my trans, I have a dipstick to put in now but if I didn't have an extra plug I would have been out of luck.

Like I was lol....My trans tube was about 6" long and with a hole drilled in the tube with a couple of zip ties holding it and the tape on the top so I didn't lose any trans fluid.

I was ghetto, but it got the job done.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Ben I would get the bd down pipe.It eliminates the flange you just have tocut the Exhaust ha k about a foot and the end of the down pipe is 4 inch od to id and slips rite on.Its a very nice made piece

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben I would get the bd down pipe.It eliminates the flange you just have tocut the Exhaust ha k about a foot and the end of the down pipe is 4 inch od to id and slips rite on.Its a very nice made piece

Yeah I know the BD kit is nice. I put a BD turbo on my truck a while back (actually I was the first person to ever put one on an LLY, way back in feb 06) and I remember it being super nice and easy to fit. That was over 6 years ago, HTT seriously cant come up with something that nice for the same price???????? :mad:

Where is the best place to get just a BD downpipe/dipstick tube? If anyone could PM me or email me if they have one, I would like to get them ASAP.

thanks

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
Yeah I know the BD kit is nice. I put a BD turbo on my truck a while back (actually I was the first person to ever put one on an LLY, way back in feb 06) and I remember it being super nice and easy to fit. That was over 6 years ago, HTT seriously cant come up with something that nice for the same price???????? :mad:

Where is the best place to get just a BD downpipe/dipstick tube? If anyone could PM me or email me if they have one, I would like to get them ASAP.

thanks

I would just call them. Pretty sure the fleece one is virtually identical to the BD downpipe.

I actually got my tube from Tony at Allseason. Had mine pretty quick....but was a bit pricey. But like you, not much of a choice in the matter.