HTT BOV kit

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
The guy you quoted there is an idiot. Despite popular belief the turbo doesnt actually stop or reverse but actually aerodynamically stalls, similer to how an aircraft wing stalls when airspeed is low and angle of attack is too high. Its absolute hell on thrust bearings.

Agreed.

I wish I had taken video of my buddies speed sensor on his Garrett charger during this. If it doesn't revers it sure comes to a halt. No real drive pressure to speak of on the exhaust side and 30-55psi of boost built up in compressed side sure wants to go some where.

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
The guy you quoted there is an idiot. He evidently doesnt understand completely how the system operates as a whole and the possible operating situations. There are times when compressor outlet pressure overcomes the compressor wheel's abilities to compress said air and it surges (stalls). Despite popular belief the turbo doesnt actually stop or reverse but actually aerodynamically stalls, similer to how an aircraft wing stalls when airspeed is low and angle of attack is too high. Its absolute hell on thrust bearings. A blow off valve is a very good idea if you are running a small very fast responding turbo or very high boost with a single.

yea i fig that ! :smellslike:

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I might try the drive pressure method.

It doesnt matter how light of a spring you use because the drive pressure will hold it shut untill you let off and drive pressure goes below boost and the boost will force it open.
I have heard of people in snowmobile applications using no spring

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
Dont forget to use a small screen or something of the like with the drive pressure method. Soot will gunk a valve up pretty quick. I would use the lightest spring possible.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
[" listen here to someone who went to school for diesel maintenance...if it is turbo charged do not put a blow off valve or a wastegate on it the way a diesel motor works is through combustion and all the turbo does is forse more air into your intake so that it is easer for the diesel fuel to combust...so without that turbo you are loseing a shit load of air whitch means you are losing a shit load of horsepower...so don't put a blowoff valve of a wastegate on your truck it is just a wast of money!!"}

just when i thought i have seen it all....

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Agreed.

I wish I had taken video of my buddies speed sensor on his Garrett charger during this. If it doesn't revers it sure comes to a halt. No real drive pressure to speak of on the exhaust side and 30-55psi of boost built up in compressed side sure wants to go some where.

Oh i agree, im sure it comes to a hault damn fast. Ive actually seen the compressor nut come loose, and we believe this was the cause. The only thing that saves your azz is the fact that the compressor is a horribly inefficient turbine so the pressure rushing back out doesnt really get a good hold on the shaft.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
I use a very light 1lbs. spring in it. I use the same spring still today which produces the results I want. You have boost pressure holding it closed anyway. However, if you don't use a spring at all (we tried it), it's kind of unpredictable under lower pressure (goofy).

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but I can't seem to find a thread that I used to put my DP bov together but i have been running it with no spring and it works good it'll barley blow off at 6psi but what i can't figure out is at anything over 20 psi the bov flutters it wont blow off and it barley flutters real quiet i wouldn't imagine the spring would change that because if it blows off at at anything under 20 why not over 20? And also what are yall using for a screen or filter i couldn't figure out anything fine enough to use. Thanks!

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Sorry to bring up an old thread guys but I can't seem to find a thread that I used to put my DP bov together but i have been running it with no spring and it works good it'll barley blow off at 6psi but what i can't figure out is at anything over 20 psi the bov flutters it wont blow off and it barley flutters real quiet i wouldn't imagine the spring would change that because if it blows off at at anything under 20 why not over 20? And also what are yall using for a screen or filter i couldn't figure out anything fine enough to use. Thanks!

Was it this thread? http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33903&highlight=bov

I had basically the same problem with mine. Ended up tightening the spring a bit and installing a one way check valve along with a bleeder orifice (kind of like a PPE LB7 boost valve) into the boost reference line. This would keep more boost inside the valve to hold it open longer. However this would prevent it from opening at lower boost, where frankly IMO a BOV is not needed due to no "barking conditions" with low boost.

justindavis38

Jun 18, 2015
Hickory, NC
Im not sure it is or not I want a member when I found it on google. But if im not running a spring at all I can't tighten it. I wouldn't imagine tightening it would make it blow off at a higher psi. So if I got a check valve maybe it would blow off at higher psi? I just don't understand why it blows off up to 20 then doesn't at all above it. I wouldn't imagine a check valve would help that any but I could be wrong unless the air is going back out of the valve slowly to make it not blow off. Thanks!