How much is too much?

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Hey guys,

Got a question. I've searched in and out of the forums and can't what I'm looking for.

When I install the LBZ in my H2 next month, I'd like a tune.

I've checked out a bunch of tuners and for the most part, they all seem the same.

I have a couple of questions.

Superchips makes the Cortex, here is their claim.

"Cortex pumps up the performance by as much as 318 lbs.-ft of torque and 154 horsepower at the rear wheels!"

Is that possible and if so, is it safe on a stock engine?

2nd question.... it seems most of the tuners make a roughly (3) levels of HP/TQ to choose from.

If I'm installing a tuner, why wouldn't I automatically want the max? If a tune is capable of producing say 200 extra ft/lbs of torque at the wheels, why would I choose the 60 ft/lb level?

Does towing make a difference? Gas mileage (correct me if I'm wrong but everything I've read seems that the bigger tunes are getting better gas mileage)

Thanks guys,

Mark

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I would be more worried about limping your trans unless your going to upgrade that as well :thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
about 90hp/150ftlbs give or take... I would go with EFI Live or a PPE handheld hands down any other programmer is not worth your money IMHO

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
If you have some basic knowledge of diesel engines and the theorys and the basic diesel cycle then go with EFI Live.

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
about 90hp/150ftlbs give or take... I would go with EFI Live or a PPE handheld hands down any other programmer is not worth your money IMHO

Thanks paint, I'm keeping that in mind. Last thing I need with my knowledge is to trash the engine before I know what the hell I'm doing.

If you have some basic knowledge of diesel engines and the theorys and the basic diesel cycle then go with EFI Live.

Thanks Mike.

I have ZERO experience with diesels. I've been wrenching on engines since I was 17 (I'm 47 now).

This forum so far has been very informative so I'll learn as I go. Right now, I'm not interested in building the crap out of anything, I just want a simple programmer and it looks like PPE is a good choice for a beginner like me.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would say EFILive is a good choice for anyone. There are so many more things EFILive is capable of doing besides just tuning. Besides that, most vendors that you purchase from will provide at least one free tune to go along with it, and there are several people who will give you tunes for free.

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
EFI will be a good tool for your swap also because you can custom tune the tranny and engine to your particular custom install.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
EFI will be a good tool for your swap also because you can custom tune the tranny and engine to your particular custom install.

Yep, i'm running a completely custom ECm and TCM tune to smooth out some vibrations and drones I had. I've driven an LBZ truck with a DIABLO SPORT PREDATOR on it, and I was rather impressed with it. I thought it was very smooth and just felt like a strong stock tune. It drove like stock but had a nice kick to it. EFILIVE can do ANYTHING that the boxed tuners can do, and so much more. It is a very powerful tool, and VERY addictive.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Something I forgot...Will you be utilizing all 3 computers? IE the ECM BCM and TCM together? Because if you are not, then you will most likely need EFI Live to delete the function of the BCM, or to perform a VIN relearn so that all of the computers will be happy if they are not all from the same vehicle...

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Mike,

Yeah, I think they're running all three computers. We purposely bought an entire truck so they could have access to all things necc.

Having said that, still thinking of EFI live?

It's kind of funny, though I'm new to the diesel thing, usually a certain truck leans towards a certain brand tuner... but in this case, it seems as many tuners that are available, there's someone that will step forward and praise it's ability.

The efi live is very capable but it may be too much for what I'm looking for right now. You have to remember, I'm coming off a supercharged 6.0 in a 7K plus truck.

Anything will be better.

Thanks,

Mark

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
What te others have said is true, Most vendors that sell EFI Live do include one or two ready made tunes that you can just flash in and go just like a handheld. People like Nick (duramaxtuner.com) I know will include a tune that suits your needs if you call and speak with him first. This way you can look at a stock and a modified tune file and see what was changed to increase the power. I will tell you, there is something very satisfying about writing a tune for your truck, then runnin it on the dyno, and seeing the numbers that YOU tuned. But the end choice is indeed yours. :thumb:

HogAssWild

Nov 12, 2009
efi live is the best investment you can make for your duramax engine PERIOD

if you dont want the complexity of efi live i would go with PPE

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
EFI LIVE is the King of tiuning for the Duramax powered GM's end of story... It is n't the easiest to learn to use but it has the biggest gains and the most abilities.

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks ya'll... I've decided to go with the PPE. No doubt in my mind that the EFI live may be the do all of tuners but unlike you guys, I'm already going up 300-400 ft lbs of torque over what I've had in the H2 before the conversion.

For the 500 buck price range, if I ever decide to upgrade, I can sell it and buy the EFI live.

I"m not interested in speed with this truck, (I've got a blown big block'd tubbed and caged street S10 for that)

Thanks for everyone's help and advice.

Mark

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Decided not only on the PPE's 160/240 tune on their standard unit but but a rebuild tranny from MikeL taking everyone's advice about watching the tranny trash 5th gear.

Thanks guys,

Mark

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Decided not only on the PPE's 160/240 tune on their standard unit but but a rebuild tranny from MikeL taking everyone's advice about watching the tranny trash 5th gear.

Thanks guys,

Mark

Awesome:thumb: Glad we could assist you in which direction to go.... Mikes transmissions are bar none:D

orangecrush

Dec 20, 2009
Awesome:thumb: Glad we could assist you in which direction to go.... Mikes transmissions are bar none:D

Absolutely, I appreciate ya'lls help. This has been a great forum and very knowledgeable and informative.

Mike seems like a great guy, I just hope I got enough tranny. I think it's the "lowest" level that Mike makes (Stage III), he said it should handle the 240 torque from the PPE.

Mark

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Theres quite a few people running around on SC stg 3 Inglewood builds with more power than that and holding up fine. You're in good hands....:D

Last edited: