how much is a duramax with a bad valve worth?

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
I just want to fix it..maybe if my piston is bad I'll look into a longblock..I'm trying to spend the least amount of money to get it running and reliable. .

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks I found a similar thread..what about taking the head off once on the stand? Thanks hot cocoal
Youre welcome

Of course taking the head off while on the stand is much easier, if youre re-doing your block have the heads decked and cleaned before re-installing

Can I check the balance rate for the injectors? in its current condition? You know with the bad valve?I was gonna put some new one in? It's been almost 100000 miles.
Im pretty sure youre not going to get anything remotely accurate as far as injector flow/return rates with your engine in its current condition...its not running optimally so the ECM isnt going to be commanding fueling for an optimal circumstance

Id contact LDS (lincoln diesel specialties) for a new set of injectors or send them to exergy to have them inspected

I just want to fix it..maybe if my piston is bad I'll look into a longblock..I'm trying to spend the least amount of money to get it running and reliable. .

You dont even know if there is any damage to a piston or cylinder wall yet...

Its kind of a crapshoot here...having the heads cleaned and decked, getting new gaskets and new head studs and doing all the labor yourself is still going to be close to couple thousand dollars, all to have a bottom end with 220k mi to worry about...

A new longblock is a brand new everything (minus CP3 and injectors) all ready to rock and roll, and either way it might be a good idea to get a new CP3 and injectors, but thats up to you...

Its your money, your time and your peace of mind...so ultimately its your decision...

Are you going to keep the rig for another 5 or more years? Get a reman...

Will you sell it with in the next 2yrs? Throw new gaskets and studs on and clean the heads up and roll with it

Again, its your decision to weigh...we can only help/try guide you and wish you the best of luck in your decision and efforts

dirty max 2500

gutter butter
Oct 24, 2014
california
Ok thanks...ima take it apart and see what I find..if the piston and side walls are good ill just get the heads...I can always get a short block if I have problems down the road right?also does a long block come with a new turbo? On a side note I seen a video of a lb7 making the exact same sound as mine ( popping sound threw the intake).he said his valve lash was off when he changed his headgaskets. Do you guys think its possible when my push rod broke it threw off my valve lash and the mechanic didn't tell me?maybe I am paranoid. .lol.thanks guys ill keep y'all updated.