how long do i need to idle

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
400*. Waiting for anything less is just a waste of time.

You guys need to think about how many stock dmax work trucks are out there driven by people that dont even know what a turbo is. Do you think they come home towing a long trailer and wait 5 minutes to cool it down? Not a chance...and do you generally ever hear of turbo problems on duramax's? Nope. :)

ben

LarryJewell

Back with his honey :)
Jan 21, 2007
San Angelo
400*. Waiting for anything less is just a waste of time.

You guys need to think about how many stock dmax work trucks are out there driven by people that dont even know what a turbo is. Do you think they come home towing a long trailer and wait 5 minutes to cool it down? Not a chance...and do you generally ever hear of turbo problems on duramax's? Nope. :)

ben

I gotta agree with Ben :)

WanaDmaxsub

Junior Member W/gray hair
Feb 17, 2007
My egt sensor is in the passenger side manifold.
My egt's are well below 400 before I even get stopped.
When the EGR was working I could get to 320 with in 30 sec and maybe 45 sec after a heavy pull, up a hill, on a hot day. Now that the EGR isn't working, I'm at 300 by the time I'm ready to turn the truck off (No waiting).

Cheap insurance to me!

White Knight

Jul 20, 2009
Thompson,MB.
This is my first post. I work as an HD Mechanic in an underground mine in northern Manitoba, Ca. Something that doesn't get enough attention is the fact that a turbo could be turning 20,000 rpm plus when you are stopping your vehicle. Shutting off the oil supply to a turbo that is turning at those kinds of speeds can be disastrous. I've seen the results of a turbo running with no oil. It's not pretty and not cheap.

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
I am sure we do a little over kill, we warm a farm tractor up for 20 min before feild work, then 1/2 throttle for the first round, then at shut down we idle for 20 min at 1000- 1500 rpm. Then while hauling tractors, it it's only 10-15 miles I leave the motor running, if not I block off the stack to keep air flow from turning the turbo without oil. We have only had one problem with a turbo and that was when we dropped a valve and it went through the turbo. we run the farm tractors at atleast double the factory HP.