How long are your Thermocouplers' lasting?

unionmax481

hot rodder
Aug 8, 2014
lebanon in
I've had 4 edge probes in the past 2yrs And they won't warranty this one that is bad that's been in the truck for 3 months do needles to say I'm putting my autometer back in

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I had a Banks last 2 years on 1 truck, then switched to AeroForce. The AeroForce have never been replaced. One truck has been in for 8 years the other for 4 years. The 8 year probe has seen 1800+... oops...:roflmao::roflmao:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just had to change the probe for my Autometer pyrometer a couple of months ago. It was right at 5 years old.

MaxSmoke

FNG for life
Jan 25, 2012
Brighton Co
Autometer, had it in my old turbo s10 (gasser) its prob 10 years old. I have had it stupid hot in that truck and never an issue. 5 years in the dmax now

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What is Failing on them? Breaking wires?

I lost one Banks probe that was about 1 years old, wire broke at the crimp between the braided line and the thermocouple itself. Changed the way I ran the thermocouple wires and where it anchored. Anchored the wires to the engine and ran the extension wires across the top of the engine to make all of that move together. After that, it been in there about 8 years with no issues. Nephew had the same problem, rerouted his similar to mine and its been running strong for 3 years now.

The reading just gets erratic. WOT could be reading 400* and at idle it might be over 1600*. Never broken a wire that I know of and plenty of slack in the wires. Ive been thinking of new gauges.

NRA223

May 20, 2015
The reading just gets erratic. WOT could be reading 400* and at idle it might be over 1600*. Never broken a wire that I know of and plenty of slack in the wires. Ive been thinking of new gauges.

This is what my junk Edge probes keep doing. 70 degrees cruising down the road on an 80 degree day. Then i shut the truck off and it goes to 1700. I'm done replacing them.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Who makes PPE's gauges?
Mine has worked awesome for almost 5 years...
Shit...it will probably fail on my way home now

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Who makes PPE's gauges?
Mine has worked awesome for almost 5 years...
Shit...it will probably fail on my way home now

ISSPRO or Autometer.?

Jason, best of intentions for ya and have a safe trip and uneventful trip home, if the probe quits on the drive home use the STOCK tune...:hug:

Last edited:

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
It it pegs the gauge out at 1600, there is a broke wire. Both mine and my nephews did the same thing.

When my nephew was waiting for his replacement, i took a paperclip and connected the probe wires together (had a weathercock on it) and the temp immediately dropped to something like 70 degrees and never moved.

Pull the probe out and try flexing the wires where the probe hard line meets the stainless braid. That is where both of ours were broke. To fix the issues, tied the stainless braid line to the engine of the truck to stop it from moving independent of the engine. Once this was done, both of them have survived. Remember that EGT wires are solid and flex in the wires at the hard to braided connection is a stress point that will amplify the bending leading to a break.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
The bad thing is I believe ISSPRO makes the probes for my gauges (Dipricol ). I just dont get it its not like there is much to go wrong with the little POS.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
If it maxes out the gauge, then its a broke wire. When you pull the old one out try Ohming it. Hook the meter to the wires and start flexing the loom. When it changes you have found the break.

If the gauge is at the minimum, then somehow the wires have been shorted together. Most likely melted together in the tip.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Yep I have an Edge probe going bad right now, the D-MAX Store is fighting with Edge no on warranty. Edge is saying they are going bad because they have been improperly grounded. I have gone back through my installation instructions and there is nothing about grounding the probe. My CS is installed just how they say to I think I am done with Edge...
Now working with Autometer on putting together a full gauge package in parcel trade for some discontinued Nexus I got from Ben...

LML Cajun

Nov 7, 2015
Opelousas, La
Edge pyro is junk!! I have replaced 6 of them. Last one lasted 6 days. Edge would not replace the last one under warranty unless I sent the CTS back with the probe. So said they reprogrammed the CTS and replaced the probe. All replaced under warranty but they won't replace all of the zip ties and the worn out plastic push pins and of course all the labor!! Been reinstalled going on the second day. So far still working but don't have much faith in it.:mad:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Huh I have been watching so many have problems with the Edge probe since I bought my CS this is the first probe for me (less than a year) and they don't want to replace it. There is obviously a problem with their probes but it is the way they choose to handle the problem that irritates me.

LML Cajun

Nov 7, 2015
Opelousas, La
Huh I have been watching so many have problems with the Edge probe since I bought my CS this is the first probe for me (less than a year) and they don't want to replace it. There is obviously a problem with their probes but it is the way they choose to handle the problem that irritates me.
Did they send you the probe with the extra ground wire attached? I have had both and they both failed multiple times!

NRA223

May 20, 2015
I can certainly say i will never buy an edge product EVER again. Glad to hear i'm not the only one i guess.