How long are your batteries lasting?

merlin5577

Diesel = Greatness
Jun 29, 2009
Taunton, MA
www.thedieselgarage.com
How long do you guys usually get on a set of batteries? The ones in my 03' are the factory originals. The indicators are both green, and load tested they are still putting out 12.6 volts, but immediately after starting the truck the volt guage shows 9 volts and stays there for a minute or so, then goes back up to its normal 13-14 volts.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Six years is a good run for a set of batteries these days. Mine are only 2 years old and they do the same thing. I don't really think it's something to worry about though.

Last edited:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
How long do you guys usually get on a set of batteries? The ones in my 03' are the factory originals. The indicators are both green, and load tested they are still putting out 12.6 volts, but immediately after starting the truck the volt guage shows 9 volts and stays there for a minute or so, then goes back up to its normal 13-14 volts.

4 years so far on the NAPA Orbitals.

6 years on the original batteries is exceptionally rare. Im surprised you havent shown any of the low-voltage telltales yet. Low voltage at startup is the intake heater and glowplugs working.

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Just replaced my oem's today. They had a good run. Got a hookup on two interstate mtp's for $120. Mine where only showing 9v but would slowly turn the truck over.

merlin5577

Diesel = Greatness
Jun 29, 2009
Taunton, MA
www.thedieselgarage.com
Since this only started since its been getting cold here, its safe to say the batteries are on borrowed time?

Tom, besides the obvious, what are the low voltage signs you are talking about?

Thank you everyone!

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
On your 03, its usually
1) the cluster will occasionally not "wake up" on startup
2) you'll get odd electrical problems, like the radio presets wont stay programmed

merlin5577

Diesel = Greatness
Jun 29, 2009
Taunton, MA
www.thedieselgarage.com
Thanks for the info Tom. Luckily I havent had any of those problems yet. I think I am going to buy new batteries for her in the next few weeks, I dont want to risk not starting in the cold.

Thanks everyone for the replies. :hug:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
im thinking my truck is still on the oem's as i got it used with 8k on it.

im right at 50k on oem's and in AZ batteries dont last more than 2 years because of the heat.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Since this only started since its been getting cold here, its safe to say the batteries are on borrowed time?
No, since it just started when it's cold, that means it is even more likely that it is the intake heater and glow plugs pulling the power down. It's normal even for brand new batteries to do that.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The LB7s have a little heating element coil that screws into the intake pipe. The LBZs and LMMs have a grid heater. AFAIK, the LLYs are they only model that don't have some sort of intake heater.

If your batteries pass a load test, I wouldn't worry about replacing them. Just keep an eye out for the signs that Tom posted previously.

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
The LB7s have a little heating element coil....

Little? It's like half the intake track.

FWIW, I usually go through batteries about every two years. Got one set replaced under the 3/36 warranty, when those died I put in Orbitals, now those are on the way out... gotta dig up the invoice and hope for some warranty left.:(

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I found out today that the glow plugs on an LB7 draw around 100amps to work, and the intake heater draws another 50amps. And people wonder why the battery voltage takes so long to come up. Holy crap!