How do you rotate an lbz?

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
How do you rotate an LBZ from to pull the converter bolts from the flywheel? I have been following the Tranny Removal Guide from Durallymax. but there is no alternator nut and the crankshaft bolt is a PITA to get to and looks to be a specialized bolt. I might be missing something... I hope that I am missing something, but I am at a loss.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
Thanks for the reply.

Does that mean I need to pull the fan shroud and anything else that
might be in the way?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
You can some times get it loose and pull it out of the way. Or you can trim that bottom one off if it's your truck I know of a few people that have done away with it.

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
You can turn it at the altenator also, its a torx bit not sure on the size. It has a plastic cap that you need to remove first.

Last edited:

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
I tried the alternator with the torx bit, but all it did was spin the alternator. Did I somehow do this wrong?

Also, that plastic cap popped off and disappeared somewhere. how important was that?

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
I tried the alternator with the torx bit, but all it did was spin the alternator. Did I somehow do this wrong?

Also, that plastic cap popped off and disappeared somewhere. how important was that?
Turn it the other way, it will only spin the engine one direction.

I lost my cap too, not a big deal.

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
I'll be damned. I should have taken the extra 0.25 seconds to try that instead of getting so impatient.

Thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Can you pull the inspection plate on the trans and use a screwdriver or prybar on the flywheel to turn it?

.....or is Mike gonna kill me for even thinking that?

Righteyeblind

Aug 29, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
Can you pull the inspection plate on the trans and use a screwdriver or prybar on the flywheel to turn it?

Ive done that through the starter hole when i pulled one by myself. It was a lot easier then going up and down to move it around.

custom8726

Feb 25, 2008
Upstate N.Y

Can you even do that through the inspection hole?? It's been awhile sense I have done it but I remember filing a strait head down some to fit through the bell housing directly beneath the fly wheel. There's a small hole there with no cover....

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
Best way is to have someone turn the motor over while you watch and take out the converter bolts. Takes no time at all. Also its easier to get at them through the passenger side wheel well, just take out the liner and its right there jack up the truck so the wheel is off the ground to give you more room. No need to crawl under the truck to get to them.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
And that works better then the small hole in the bell housing??

only 3 wholes i can think of in the bell housing , the rectangle inspection plate whole , the small round inspection whole ( not the one i use ) and the starter whole . I like the rectangle inspection whole , I can reach 1 arm up to the starter whole to feel where the bolt/flywheel is at in the rotation while i turn it over , most the time if your doing it frequently you are by your self so it saves you from have to stop , check position , move a little more then check again ect but that is what works for me , others may not like it .