LML Horrendous Duramax Crash this morning

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Probally meth head...

Who ever was chasing him for a hit and run at 100 mph will be held accountable, unless someone was injured they should have just let him run. There are cameras EVERYWHERE now so getting a plate number would not have been hard...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Probally meth head...

Who ever was chasing him for a hit and run at 100 mph will be held accountable, unless someone was injured they should have just let him run. There are cameras EVERYWHERE now so getting a plate number would not have been hard...
I personally hate the "must blame someone since the perp is a dirtbag" mindset. Would calling off the chase have avoided this accident? Maybe. Was it the pursuer's fault? Hell no, it was the high driver. And who's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing even after pursuit stopped? Or done something worse?

We should do what we can to limit risk in situations like this, which might mean calling off pursuit. But when that doesn't happen, it is still the hit and run driver's fault, not the person (cop, presumably) in pursuit. Failing to do everything possible to mitigate a situation doesn't make the situation your fault, IMO.

So I agree calling off pursuit would have been the right course of action here, I take some issue with the fact they they will be held accountable, as you suggest. And I think you're right: they will be held accountable. But probably to far too large of a degree, considering it is actually all one guy's fault. But no, we have to derail another few lives before this is all over.

Or maybe I'm just a cranky old man? I need that disclaimer that dozerboy has under his posts, lol

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
In Canada it’s the law that after 1min if the speeds are excessive the police MUST back off to a safe speed. They aren’t allowed to pursue like that for this very reason.

Kinda sucks for the owner if the vehicle is stolen as the bad guy often gets away but in the long run much safer for the public.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
That was horrible. RIP the driver of the car. I hope the pickup driver rots in hell. He decapitated the car, for chrissakes. Modern cars can take a hit, just not one from an 8000lb truck doing 100mph.

This is my daughter's '03 Grand Prix from a month ago, after it took a 50-60mph hit in the rear end while stopped in traffic, and the car that hit it (thats the GP's exhaust on the roadway in front of it). Couldnt open the rear doors, pushed the rear seat into the fronts, buckled the floor under the front seats, bent the rear axle bar. The spare tire took the majority of the hit and transferred the force to the floor, so it could've been much much worse. We figured the other car's front end was diving from braking, which allowed it to hit lower. If it hadnt been, well....

My daughter got lucky, walked away with some bruising on the face from her steering wheel (airbags did NOT go off). I told her I was glad I wasnt ID'ing her in the morgue.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• HannahsCarLKQ1.jpeg
    HannahsCarLKQ1.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG952008.jpg
    IMG952008.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

jrkrace

May 4, 2008
Connecticut
Well, that'll make me rethink getting a car for a daily driver. That's just terrible. :(

I’ve been a firefighter for 27 years..

I drive a Duramax.
My oldest son drives a Duramax.
My youngest son drives a Duramax.
My wife drives an Escalade.

See a pattern?.

My daughter couldn’t be seen and handle a big truck so she drives a new Mazda CX-5 that’s an IIHS+ safety pick...that one is the only one that scares me..I’m still working on her, but she’s going to college this fall so I have some time.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
I’ve been a firefighter for 27 years..

I drive a Duramax.

My oldest son drives a Duramax.

My youngest son drives a Duramax.

My wife drives an Escalade.

See a pattern?.

My daughter couldn’t be seen and handle a big truck so she drives a new Mazda CX-5 that’s an IIHS+ safety pick...that one is the only one that scares me..I’m still working on her, but she’s going to college this fall so I have some time.

My wife drives a 2015 4Runner which has a full steel frame instead of a unibody for this same reason. Much safer I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'm not blaming the pursuant, I'm just stating what will happen especially in Comifornia. I don't agree with it but that's reality now...

I have the wife in a E350 bc of stuff like this and She drives my Duramax on out of town road trips.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I personally hate the "must blame someone since the perp is a dirtbag" mindset. Would calling off the chase have avoided this accident? Maybe. Was it the pursuer's fault? Hell no, it was the high driver. And who's to say he wouldn't have done the same thing even after pursuit stopped? Or done something worse?

We should do what we can to limit risk in situations like this, which might mean calling off pursuit. But when that doesn't happen, it is still the hit and run driver's fault, not the person (cop, presumably) in pursuit. Failing to do everything possible to mitigate a situation doesn't make the situation your fault, IMO.

So I agree calling off pursuit would have been the right course of action here, I take some issue with the fact they they will be held accountable, as you suggest. And I think you're right: they will be held accountable. But probably to far too large of a degree, considering it is actually all one guy's fault. But no, we have to derail another few lives before this is all over.

Or maybe I'm just a cranky old man? I need that disclaimer that dozerboy has under his posts, lol

For the most part, I agree with you here

Its called defensive driving for a reason. When you get on the road you assume the risks involved. We all know there douchebags all around us. Letting them go because its too much of a risk chasing them will just let them do it again and again. At some point they will kill someone. Either now or later but these kind of people don't respect the laws as we do.

Its just math. The sooner they are stopped the better. The chance they are going to kill someone on one drunken trip vs 20 drunken trips is, one can argue, 1/20th chance. Letting the guy go because its too risky is just asked for it. It will set a precedent for lowering the risk factor even more and more and criminals will keep talking advantage of it

So, anyone thinking we shouldn't be driving a truck because it will more easily kill or injure someone in an accident is going about it all wrong. Its akin to saying: you can't defend yourself with a gun from someone with a knife because its unfair. Remember its defensive driving not offensive driving. Drive whatever you feel safe in. Simple

Others have a right to drive a big truck too. Because they are in a car is no reason to deny yours.

Rant over. :hug:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I didn't watch the whole video, but I didn't see a police cruiser roll up within seconds of the accident like I would have expected if they were pursuing him. Perhaps they did break of the pursuit, but he didn't quit running?

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
That's what I was wondering also. It was a minute or two before any officials were there looked to me like.

I think he coulda been going over a hundred though, unless the rest of the traffic was only going 50 but that was interstate so surely they was going more than that.

Crazy though for sure.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
4 tons of iron traveling at 100mph.

That sucks that someone was killed because of some ignorant POS. But sadly, it's not just truck vs car... It's solid vehicle vs flimsy POS. The car appears to have been a Nissan - possibly an Altima (The wheels are a perfect match for 2013-2015 Altimas). And in my experience, Asian cars never hold up well in crashes. I can't figure out how they get more then 1 star ratings, if that. I was a volunteer firefighter for about five years, until I moved, and I saw my share of crashes up close and personal - every crash we responded to, the Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, etc always fell apart. When a woman driving a 2007 or so Toyota Corolla hit my wife in her 2001 Mustang back in 2010 (The hit was about 45*, front right corner as my wife was trying to make a left turn into a parking lot - the woman in the Corolla popped out from behind a line of stopped cars trying to beat a turn light), the difference in damage to the Corolla vs the Mustang was insane - looking at the two sitting there you would think there is no way that Toyota actually hit the Mustang - and that was at 25 or so MPH MAX - I would NOT want to be in that POS in a 50MPH crash, or even worse, a 50MPH head on crash - odds of surviving would be LOW. Now, you might say 'Crumple zones' - yes, I get what they're for, and properly designed, they're beneficial, but the AMOUNT of crumple at such LOW SPEED impacts is scary, to say the least. Again, I would NOT want to be in a highway speed impact in one of those vehicles...

About a decade ago, two young sisters were killed in Illinois when a trooper lost control of his Impala doing something like 130, crossed the median on I64 and hit the car the sisters were in - which I know was a Mazda, and I think a Mazda 6. There was NOTHING left of that car above the floor pan. NOTHING. Very similar to this crash in terms of destruction. The Impala was messed up, but the passenger compartment was pretty much intact (a bit bent out of shape). The trooper, although severely injured (no idea if he was wearing his seatbelt - it's possible he wasn't and that's why he had the injuries he had - I don't know), survived. Another example is a guy was killed I believe last year in a Honda (Accord, I think) - from witness reports, he was driving like a jackwagon and although I don't know the exact sequence of events, he ended up cutting off and being rear ended by a tractor trailer. This was a 'relatively' low speed impact because it was rush hour at one of the St Louis choke points. I'm not sure the impact killed him, though, as a fire ensued due to the ruptured fuel tank - but the point is where and how the truck ended up - the bumper of the truck was right at the back of the front seats, and it looked more like the truck had been DROPPED on the car, not like it had read-ended it. The car crumpled and flattened like aluminum foil.

These Asian cars everyone loves to by are pieces of junk - I don't care if they were so reliable there was 0% chance you'd ever have to do anything but put fuel in it for 500k miles or more (and they really are no more reliable than vehicles from anywhere else these days) - they are not much safer than a cardboard box and at least the cardboard box would be easier to cut you out of in the event of a crash :(.

Frankly, I think the IIHS crash ratings are rubbish - if you want to figure out what the safer vehicles are, you need to research REAL crashes, not staged, non real world 'crashes'.

Aug 3, 2013
Arizona
This would be a horrendous situation to witness. People like that loser driving that truck just get me so angry.. Those type of idiots should never have been born.

My thoughts on driving a little car just went out the window.

Thanks for sharing the vid