Hood stack

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
I got it. :eek:

Two different takes on the same basic idea. Basically, you need an oval hole in the hood to deal with a hood stack that is a hard mount to the turbo. So, cut the hole first and then carve out the hood as far forward as is necessary to account for the hood swing and make that a hinged flap with tie downs. Alternately, you could fashion a cowl that covered the oval and provided enough clearance for the stack on a progressive basis.

In either case you give up a tight connection between the hood and the "show" part of the stack as there has to be some clearance left for engine movement....

Heck, as I think of it, if the flap opened in instead of out, you might be able to set up a linkage that would manage the flap automatically....

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
sounds like a cool idea but fitting the stack is hard enough now you wanna throw automatic flaps into the mix:poke:

deeretracks

You Cant Fix Stupid!!!
Feb 4, 2009
Arkansas
Do it like they do on the Heavy eq. Make the stack part of the hood And the pipe coming of the turbo just goes into it a few inches when the hood is closed.

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
Do it like they do on the Heavy eq. Make the stack part of the hood And the pipe coming of the turbo just goes into it a few inches when the hood is closed.

That's exactly the setup they are trying to get away from....

sounds like a cool idea but fitting the stack is hard enough now you wanna throw automatic flaps into the mix:poke:

Hey, I ain't building it, just imagining it! Complexity is not an issue....;) :rofl:

I am quite content to replace my 5" tip with a 4" turn up for events....:)

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
Make a flat mating surface at hood height under the hood and a flat mating surface for the hood stack. When the hood opens the stack is bolted with the hood, when the hood goes down, the 2 flat surfaces mesh with a thick 1 1/2 inch gasket of some kind to allow engine flex but still seal up decent. Maybe I comunicated my idea maybe not but I can see it in my head.:D I am a better drawing.